Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to copy EXIF data?

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom Classic 9.3, MacOS 10.14.6

I'd like to copy the EXIF values from one photo to another in Lightroom Classic.

If I use Sync Metadata it only includes the IPTC data. The EXIF data is left behind.

Likewise, if I right click on a photo and go to Metadata Presets->Copy Metadata, I'm presented with the Copy Metadata panel, but the only elements available are IPTC, there's no way to select EXIF data.

The attached screen shot shows the data I'd like to transfer from one photo to another. The "why" behind this is I edited the photo in an external editor, which lost all the EXIF data, so I'd like to replace it with the original.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 10.29.24 PM.png

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

ExifTool would be my recommendation, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from editing the capture time, there is no way to edit or copy EXIF metadata in Lightroom.

I have no experience with it, but I think you can do this with ExifTool.

There is also John Beardsworth's Capture Time to Exif that might be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExifTool would be my recommendation, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies...

ExifTool immediately came to mind. I have it, have used it, but I have to relearn it every time.

I imagine you can't copy EXIF data in Lightroom, because why would anyone want to copy things like exposure data from one image to the other. I guess I found a use case... off to relearn ExifTool! Hard to believe it's a Perl script...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also possible to do this in Photoshop using the get info panel. It's a bit clunky though but you do it by writing out a metadata template from an image that has the correct data and then importing this template on the other file. The exif data should come over this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same use case. I edit the LR photo in an external editor, but I want to retain the exif data. I've taken to just writing it in another field, but that is not the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which editor is doing you wrong? (And file a complaint with the developer.)

ExifTool is probably still your best bet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines