Is it possible to have a graduated filter that is both Luminance Range Masked and Color RangeMasked?

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suppose I want a graduated filter that affects only the light blue, but not the green or red of a similar lightness?

Is this possible, even if it involves multiple filters or other "trickery"?

Also, please note, that for this purpose, I can't use the erase brush to get rid of the light green or light red, its too complicated a scene.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Oct 03, 2020
WobertC Adobe Community Professional , Oct 03, 2020
The 'Color' Range mask does what you ask. By placing a 'pin' on light tones of a color with the dropper tool- you select only those luminance tones. My example in screen-clips: 1) The original image   2) A Gradient applied over the whole image, with the overlay showing as 'Red'. The first dropper pin is on the lightest tones of 'Blue':   3) A second dropper pin is applied to the darkest blues at the top of the image. Note the Mid-tone blues are not fully masked!   4) A third dropper pin is ap...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on the range mask, select color mask, use the tool to select blue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Color' Range mask does what you ask.

By placing a 'pin' on light tones of a color with the dropper tool- you select only those luminance tones.

My example in screen-clips:

1) The original image

ScreenShot084.jpg

2) A Gradient applied over the whole image, with the overlay showing as 'Red'.

The first dropper pin is on the lightest tones of 'Blue':

ScreenShot081.jpg

3) A second dropper pin is applied to the darkest blues at the top of the image. Note the Mid-tone blues are not fully masked!

ScreenShot082.jpg

4) A third dropper pin is applied to the mid-tone blues. Now ALL the blue sky is effectively selected (with the red overlay).

ScreenShot083.jpg  And -4stops exposure results as  ScreenShot086.jpg

Adjusting the 'Amount' slider to the lowest minimum indicates better how the three pins are selecting different luminance tones of the BLUE color-

ScreenShot085.jpg 

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.1.1, Photoshop 22.2, Lightroom 4.1, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines