• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to use XMP files with DNG?

Participant ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used XMP files since the very beginning of Lightroom. It's a handy way of having an "instant backup" of changes just in case something ever happens to my Lightroom Catalog.  I love the safety net that XMP files give me.

A year and a half ago (after 15 years with Canon) I switched to the Sony a7iii.  The biggest downside to that is that Sony's ARW files are 47mb each.  But if I use the Adobe DNG Converter, I can losslessly compress them down to just 27mb each.  As I shoot thousands upon thousands of images each month, that 20mb per image savings is huge.  Especially when you take into account backups.  

However, this is one big thing I hate about using DNG files.  And that is that every time I make a change in Lightroom (change a star rating, adjust exposure, crop, etc) that 27mb DNG file needs to be backed up.  AGAIN.  Because unlike my Canon raw files, with XMP sidecar files, the DNG files are written back to whenever I make any changes.  

Is there any way to change Lightroom to write to a tiny XMP file every time I make a change, rather than modifying my 27mb DNG files?  I would much rather backup and rebackup tiny little XMP files.  It makes no sense to have to backup an entire 27mb file just because a few bytes inside of it have changed.  And it costs me money (I have to pay extra to my Internet provider as I go over their imposed limits). 

So please ... is there any way to use XMP files with DNG?  And if not, can you please add this to the wishlist?  My hard drives and my internet bills will thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed, lots of software companies can't follow instructions. If you find one, let em know. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And sidecars for JPEGs and TIFs and PSDs and any other publicly-documented formats that have no need of sidecars?"

I could argue there's no need. As we both know, the idea behind sidecars was because Adobe wouldn't write the XMP into a proprietary raw for good reason. I'd far prefer that useful data be part of the container. I understand those that have 'issues' with small XMP changes forcing a backup of the entire document. But when data changes, I think it should be backed up no matter how small. I can open a Word document that could be as large as some raw images and change one word. The entire document would be flagged and udpated. I don't see that as an issue no matter the kind of doc. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidecar's can now be created with DNG with ACR (12.3) because the old ACR database is gone. Will LR get such a 'feature'? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just have this basic theory, never store more inforation that you have to and cerainly do not replicate it as incosistencies can occur between two version of say photo edits, whihc one is right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines