Highlighted

Is there a batch metadata sync between Bridge and LR Classic

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I updated the label metadata in Bridge for at least 400 images.  In LR Classic, I clicked “synchronize” on the folder containing those images.  Lightroom Classic then shows the [metadata changed] icon on those 400+ images.

I can click this icon on a single image and it will then update the metadata.  However I don’t want to have to click this [metadata changed] icon for each of those 400 images in Lightroom Classic.  Is there a way to do these updates in batch mode in LR Classic?

I am using LR Classic version 9.4, Bridge version 10.1.1.166, running on a PC  with Windows 10 Home version.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

I worded that to be confusing.  Read it this way-

"find any files that have had a metadata change by a Smart Collection in LIGHTROOM-"

The Smart Collection is defined in the Collection panel of LrC, defined as I showed in my screen-clip it finds photos in the Lr Catalog when the Catalog metadata does not match the metadata as changed by Bridge (on the hard-drive).

Once you have 'found' the files with mismatched metadata, you can then Select them all and go MENU: Metadata > Read Metadata from Files, which will 'add' the Bridge metadata to the Catalog.

Topics

Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there a batch metadata sync between Bridge and LR Classic

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I updated the label metadata in Bridge for at least 400 images.  In LR Classic, I clicked “synchronize” on the folder containing those images.  Lightroom Classic then shows the [metadata changed] icon on those 400+ images.

I can click this icon on a single image and it will then update the metadata.  However I don’t want to have to click this [metadata changed] icon for each of those 400 images in Lightroom Classic.  Is there a way to do these updates in batch mode in LR Classic?

I am using LR Classic version 9.4, Bridge version 10.1.1.166, running on a PC  with Windows 10 Home version.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

"find any files that have had a metadata change by a Smart Collection in LIGHTROOM-"

The Smart Collection is defined in the Collection panel of LrC, defined as I showed in my screen-clip it finds photos in the Lr Catalog when the Catalog metadata does not match the metadata as changed by Bridge (on the hard-drive).

Once you have 'found' the files with mismatched metadata, you can then Select them all and go MENU: Metadata > Read Metadata from Files, which will 'add' the Bridge metadata to the Catalog.

Topics

Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is a stand-alone application. When you are working with Lightroom it is reading and writing from/to the Lightroom Catalog file. As far as Lightroom is concerned the info is in the Catalog file.

Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw plugin function with Photoshop and they work with the information in the file. They cannot read or write from/to the Lightroom Catalog file.

There is an option in Lightroom to write metadata to the file to share info with Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. However Lightroom Classic does not read automatically from the file.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.3, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in batch mode in LR Classic?

You can-

Select all 400 Files,

Go MENU: Metadata > Read Metadata from Files.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the solution!  Unfortunately my 400+ images were scattered across over 100,000 images I have in my catalog in LR Classic, so it's going to take a couple days to chug away to find them, but it's still better than going into each individual file and updating the label.

Regards,

Janet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could find any files that have had a metadata change in Bridge, by a Smart Collection-

Maybe this would work!-

ScreenShot014.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you explain more about how you see this working? I can create a
smart collection in Bridge of recent metadata changed files. How does this
then help me get those files with recent metadata changes, to have those
changes be reflected in Lightroom files via a batch mode update? Thanks!
Janet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much!  I was reading your answer as it came to me in email which did not show your screenshot.  Yes, this worked great!  I apologize for not coming back to the forum area to read your reply there. 

Problem solved!

Janet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
WobertC LATEST
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My answer has solved your current problem, but the last post from dj_paige should be your workflow going forward.

"do it in Lightroom Classic"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"However I don’t want to have to click this [metadata changed] icon for each of those 400 images in Lightroom Classic. Is there a way to do these updates in batch mode in LR Classic?"

Honestly, doing this metadata update in Bridge instead of LrC causes this problem. I don't see a reason to do this in Bridge. In the future, do it in Lightroom Classic, and the problem goes away.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines