Highlighted

Issue report: Excess CPU usage with LrC on macOS Mojave

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a Lightroom user for many years. For the past few months, I've been having an issue with excessive CPU usage. I am running Lightroom Classic on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014).

When I launch Lightroom Classic, it pegs all four CPU cores on my iMac, and pretty soon the processor fan starts spinning at full speed. This begins the instant that LrC finishes launching, and takes place without any keyboard activity from me.

My catalog contains about 51,000 images – this is certainly on the large side, but should be within Lightroom's capabilities. For me, a normal year's photography adds 1500 to 4000 images to this catalog. This year's pandemic has stifled my photography – indeed, I've added only about 500 images to the catalog this year. In short, my camera's output hasn't really amounted to much, and the CPU usage is a relatively new thing.

I wish I could pinpoint when this problem started, but the COVID-19 thing has distorted my sense of time! My best estimate is three or four months. I had hopes that Lightroom Classic 9.4 would solve the problem, but it did not change the behavior in the least. I am running 9.4 [202008061458-dbb2971e] at the moment.

I have only one clue – a workaround that might be a hint to the folks at Adobe about what might be happening: If I optimize my catalog ("File > Optimize Catalog..."), the CPU usage calms down to normal for the rest of my Lightroom session.

However, the workaround is only temporary; if I quit and then re-launch Lightroom Classic, its CPU utilization goes through the roof again until I optimize my catalog again. It's as if some critical data like the catalog database index doesn't get flushed to disk when I quit Lightroom Classic.

Has anyone else seen this behavior on a Mac or otherwise?

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Issue report: Excess CPU usage with LrC on macOS Mojave

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a Lightroom user for many years. For the past few months, I've been having an issue with excessive CPU usage. I am running Lightroom Classic on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014).

When I launch Lightroom Classic, it pegs all four CPU cores on my iMac, and pretty soon the processor fan starts spinning at full speed. This begins the instant that LrC finishes launching, and takes place without any keyboard activity from me.

My catalog contains about 51,000 images – this is certainly on the large side, but should be within Lightroom's capabilities. For me, a normal year's photography adds 1500 to 4000 images to this catalog. This year's pandemic has stifled my photography – indeed, I've added only about 500 images to the catalog this year. In short, my camera's output hasn't really amounted to much, and the CPU usage is a relatively new thing.

I wish I could pinpoint when this problem started, but the COVID-19 thing has distorted my sense of time! My best estimate is three or four months. I had hopes that Lightroom Classic 9.4 would solve the problem, but it did not change the behavior in the least. I am running 9.4 [202008061458-dbb2971e] at the moment.

I have only one clue – a workaround that might be a hint to the folks at Adobe about what might be happening: If I optimize my catalog ("File > Optimize Catalog..."), the CPU usage calms down to normal for the rest of my Lightroom session.

However, the workaround is only temporary; if I quit and then re-launch Lightroom Classic, its CPU utilization goes through the roof again until I optimize my catalog again. It's as if some critical data like the catalog database index doesn't get flushed to disk when I quit Lightroom Classic.

Has anyone else seen this behavior on a Mac or otherwise?

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 23, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For the past few moths, I've been having an issue with excessive CPU usage."

What actions in Lightroom Classic cause this? Be specific.

Are you performing lots of brushing and/or lots of spot healing on your photos?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige, I thought that my statement about this taking place at launch said what was needed, but I can see a potential for ambiguity there. I've updated my post accordingly, coloring the revised text in blue. I'll elaborate further below.

The CPU overloading begins the instant I launch LrC, and takes place without me doing anything with my keyboard or mouse. 

I know from experience that some of the tools in the Develop module (the clone/heal brush in particular) cause CPU load when opening an image. As stated, these are not at play here. Further, the excessive CPU usage takes place regardless of what module Lightroom is in – the bad behavior is the same whether it's in Library, Develop, Map, etc.

Lightroom's misbehavior goes away instantly after the catalog optimization is complete, but returns the next time LrC is launched before I do anything with my images. Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the cooling system in some iMac computers is a constant source of complaint, not just from people who are using Lightroom Classic, but from people using lots of other software that puts a heavy strain on the CPU.

You can read lots of advice on the Apple message forums about this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Face Detection paused?

Is Address Lookup paused
Is some odd Sync running?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309, very interesting that you mention Face Detection. I checked "Catalog Settings... > Metadata > Face Detection" and found "Automatically Detect Faces In All Photos" checked!  I can't imagine having checked that setting, because most of my images are of non-human subjects. However, it's entirely possible that Adobe was unkind enough to set it for me in one of my past upgrades.

Unchecking it brings the performance back to normal levels. Thank you for that suggestion; this caught me by surprise because facial recognition not a feature that I knowingly enabled.

I see from https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/face-recognition.html that there is more to facial recognition than meets the eye, and I'll have to read this in more depth if I ever want to explore this feature. 

What really surprises me is that there is no indication (other than the solid spike in CPU time) that there is a background task running, unlike during an Export workflow – that would have made the cause more obvious!

Thanks for solving the mystery.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"What really surprises me is that there is no indication (other than the solid spike in CPU time) that there is a background task running, unlike during an Export workflow – that would have made the cause more obvious!"

The indicator is buried in a obscure place where few people know to click without being shown. Click on the identity plate in the upper-left corner:

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.14.21 PM.png

Shame on Adobe for such mediocre design,

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
JonRoma LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis, I happened on the hidden triangle on the identity plate – but not till after I realized that the performance was face recognition going on in the background. But it was good of you to attach the screenshot for those who might not have discovered it.

This indeed is poor design. It's a paradox that an action I initiate (like exporting a dozen photos from my catalog) is readily detected from a progress bar, but a background action like the very CPU-intensive face recognition process is completely concealed unless one knows where to find the secret encoder ring!

I've now played with the face recognition feature a bit. I was pleasantly surprised to find that LR had already made a fair bit of facial recognition progress all the times it was chewing CPU over the past few months. If I hadn't posed the question when I did, the odd pegged CPU behavior might have gone away on its own, leaving me even more confused!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0