Highlighted

Issues with Importing from another LR Classic Catalog

Nov 06, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues with importing a Lightroom Classic catalog created on a laptop and saved to a 4 TB portable drive.  I am successful at exporting a LR Classic catalog from my laptop, but when I attempt to import the catalog onto my desktop, I get an error message that says that Lightroom cannot import from this catalog, as the catalog does not appear to be a valid lightroom catalog.  I have used the same system many times before but have not experienced this since I upgraded to Lightroom Classic.  Is there a bug with the new Classic that needs to be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Issues with Importing from another LR Classic Catalog

Nov 06, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues with importing a Lightroom Classic catalog created on a laptop and saved to a 4 TB portable drive.  I am successful at exporting a LR Classic catalog from my laptop, but when I attempt to import the catalog onto my desktop, I get an error message that says that Lightroom cannot import from this catalog, as the catalog does not appear to be a valid lightroom catalog.  I have used the same system many times before but have not experienced this since I upgraded to Lightroom Classic.  Is there a bug with the new Classic that needs to be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I just did that successfully, exporting a LR CL catalog created on my Macbook Pro and importing it into LR CL on my main PC.

Are you using the latest version of LR CL on both laptop and desktop?

Kenneth Seals

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, and yes, I am.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

OK, tried it from a folder not on the network, and it works. That's annoying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and "yes"  I'm using the current version of LR Classic CC on both my laptop and desktop compters.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Desktop and laptop on home network. Went to import from another catalog, selected the laptop catalog from the desktop, got that error message "... not a valid lightroom catalog".  Running same version of Lightroom Classic CC 2018 on both computers.  Import from another catalog worked across this same network and same computers prior to this iteration of the software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 04, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you copy the source catalog from the network to a local drive then try the import on the local copy?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

If you copy the catalog to a local drive, it works fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Tried that.  Copied the catalog and associated files to a local drive internal to my desktop.  Look like it started to import then failed due to an "unknown error"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I tried that before my first post and it didn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

In my situation I'm NOT using a network of any type. My laptop is running Windows 10 and my desktop is an iMac running the latest operating system. For my laptop I use an external drive for my travel catalog. I connect the external HD to the iMac to import the travel catalog into my primary catalog. It's worked previously, but not since I've installed LR Classic CC.

I did copy my travel catalog to the iMac and it still wouldn't import it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

OK that’s really odd then. For me it errors from the network but it works locally. All the newest catalog format.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Still not importing after doing the following:

a) Exported the laptop folder (one folder, approx 1500 images) as a new catalog

b) copied catalog and all associated files from laptop over to local C: drive on desktop

c) opened the new catalog successfully; then targeted the catalog folder to the actual folder containing the image files, previously copied via Windows Explorer over from the laptop to the desktop internal second drive

d) All image "stars" and stacking settings applied then automatically and correctly to the image files.

e) spent some time editing files in an effort to make certain this catalog was updated correctly on the desktop C: drive

f) selected my original master catalog to open and relaunch Lightroom

g) went to import the single folder catalog just closed prior to relaunch

h) started to import, but then stopped with a catalog problem error message

So bottom line I cannot now import from another catalog into my master catalog, whether across a network or on a local drive, or even on a local drive after using the new catalog prior to import into my master catalog. 

The whole import mechanism seems broken.  Also, I optimized my master catalog prior to attempting import.

This all worked a few weeks back following my previous trip, that is successful import from another catalog across my network from the laptop to the desktop, which was just prior to Adobe upgrading to Lightroom Classic CC along with the new Lightroom CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines