Italics no longer working on Watermark

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing LR 10.0 my Export watermarks have changed. I am using Jenkins 2.0 font set to bold italic. With this setting or even just italic the watermark comes out as an arial font. If I change it to just bold (no italic) or regular then the font comes out correct. This is the same with the Segoe Script font.

bold italci.jpg

just bold.jpg

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

TOPICS
Bug, Presets or profiles, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Futura Font family, if you use Italic, Bold, Bold Italic the text is converted in Arial standard when you use the font in watermark style. In the previous LrC version everything worked well. Tried also with Futura by Abobe besides a different Futura release. 

Alberto15B9_0-1603753192610.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

I looked into this and all the individual watermark settings are correct.   I'm using Papyrus italic as the font and that is what is showing in the lookup boxes.   I can go into the dropdown lists & re-select Papyrus and Italic, however, as soon as I select italic the sample changes to some default, gross font.

I tested to make sure it was not a Windows 10 issue and I can create the correct watermark in MS Word.

Apparently LR Classic can no longer handle the italic version??

These watermarks WERE working right up until I updated to the latest LR Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

The two fonts I use, mainly Palatino are NOT showing up in Italics and going to some generic font. 

How to fix?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either wait for a bug fix or build an image of what you want, and use that.  I'll wait for a bug fix.

Just hope it doesn't take forever.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Italic doesn't work in LR 10.1 or LR 10.1.1 either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Using Book Antiqua font (which I had as a preset) but now just defaults to a generic standard font.  Just tried a number of different ones but with no success.  See this is pretty much 3 months since this was highlighted but appears nothing has been done yet to resolve this issue.  Disappointing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally disgusted!    It cannot be rocket science to get italics back up & running.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now on version 10.2 in April 2021 and italics are still not working!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I reported this issue > 6 months and nothing happens. I'm quite surprised.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What is most upsetting is that talics on all fonts did work in all prior versions of LR. So fixing the issue could be as simple as rolling back that section of code to the last working version.

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a side comment here: it is a good idea to check which typefaces even have any "designed" italic (or bold, or bold italic) variant installed as a font file. Especially with more unusual looking ones - including script faces - no "italicised" form may have been intended by their designer. A handwriting style font is already in some senses "italic".

Similarly the basic form of each typeface design is considered such-and such Regular (even if it does not say so), and will group with a corresponding Bold, Italic and Bold Italic typically. But such-and such Light, or Book, or Script is separately grouped and will not necessarily 'know' what best to use when the user asks for a Bold option.

In most software - MS Word or whatever - you can assign any typeface you like an italic override, bold or both. When a proper font file is not present, a "faux" sloped / thickened version is fudged instead and usually that looks awful. Some more typographically scrupulous software will simply not show any "faux" version.

It's strange though. While some faces mentioned (such as Papyrus or Segoe Script) can IMO be expected problematic to override to italic (since there is no 'Papyrus Italic' font file; while Segoe Script has only got 'Regular' and 'Bold')...

...some typefaces mentioned, such as Book Antiqua, should have all needed variants present as standard. I guess the sizing of a particular text string can change considerably with a "designed" font variant - which raises a separate complication for LrC watermarking. 

Consider e.g. the very differing widths of the letter shapes in this illustration:

Screenshot 2021-04-29 083618.jpg

If that is a properly defined font file then really LrC should cope with this IMO, but maybe it would be more accurate to offer all of the genuine font files available in a single list, rather then offering a list of faces plus style overrides. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines