Highlighted

Jumping in, lots of photos to import

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in September 19, my single Drobo failed on me.  It corrupted the disk pack, and I've only last night finished the long battle of recovering the files, sorting out the duplicates, and organizing them by date and camera.  There are two Drobos now, so that won't happen again.

Now here's my problem.  First off, I'm very new to Lightroom.

Second, I have a TON of files (about 250,000) to import and organize.  They were stored in various folders according to work, home, hobby, etc and now are stored in a single directory on the NAS.   Some I will need to weed out as they are pictures taken by someone else, and don't really belong in my collection.   

Should I try to do that weeding before importing to LR or should I import first and use LR to do the weeding out?

Or is there some other SW that would be more suited to the task?

Windows 10 and Drobo NAS

Topics

Import and export, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Jumping in, lots of photos to import

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in September 19, my single Drobo failed on me.  It corrupted the disk pack, and I've only last night finished the long battle of recovering the files, sorting out the duplicates, and organizing them by date and camera.  There are two Drobos now, so that won't happen again.

Now here's my problem.  First off, I'm very new to Lightroom.

Second, I have a TON of files (about 250,000) to import and organize.  They were stored in various folders according to work, home, hobby, etc and now are stored in a single directory on the NAS.   Some I will need to weed out as they are pictures taken by someone else, and don't really belong in my collection.   

Should I try to do that weeding before importing to LR or should I import first and use LR to do the weeding out?

Or is there some other SW that would be more suited to the task?

Windows 10 and Drobo NAS

Topics

Import and export, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things first: I am assuming that you are using Lightroom Classic and not what Adobe now simply calls Lightroom whihc extremely confusingly is a completely different program that stores all your images in the cloud. Your volume of images is not reaslly conducive to cloud storage so you are probably talking about Classic. If that is not the case do not read further.

Second: Were these images in Lightroom Classic before? If so, you should try to recover the catalog files and build from there. If not, finally some answers. First, do not worry about the current folder structure on disk too much. There are two ways to approach this. One is to import everything in place using the add mode in Classic. You can then use keywording and collections to internally organize the images while keeping them all in the same place on your drobos. 

A second approach is to set up Lightroom to import into folders organized by date and use copy or move while importing. This will automatically organize all your images by year, month, and date on your hard drive. After that, you would do the exact same thing by keywording and making collections and smart collections as before. 

The important thing to realize is that it really doesn't matter much where on your drives the images are located. You can organize in collections and collection sets, keyword, etc to your heart's content while keeping all the images in the same location. You can easily find images by filters (can be by date, camera used, lens used, etc.) and searches and smart collections. The only thing to remember is that you shouldn't move around the images outside of Lightroom Classic as Classic will lose track of where they are. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, the branding is confusing.  I'm using classic here.

I also have the cloud version which I won't be using unless forced to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images are already located where you want them to be then you might as well go ahead and import them into the Lightroom catalog. That isn't going to move the images anywhere, the process will just add them to the catalog, which is a database, and enable you to start editing them or deleting the ones that you want to get rid of. If you still want to move the images around and organize them more to your liking, it might be better if you did that before you start importing. This is especially true, in my opinion, since you are new Lightroom. Some new users seem to have difficulty understanding the relationship between the catalog and the actual images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand how LR deals with the catalog vs actual location.

Using external app to move the images is fine, it just means wating for that one to build it's thumbnails.  It's been working all day, and no projection when it might be done.  But I can convince myself to relax, and wait, I guess.    Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One advice I would add. Use one master folder and categorise your oictures with subfolders as you wish. Then use the import function and add the master folder and choose import. Looking at the number of images it will take some time (hours/days) before all 250.000 are imported.

then you can sort, filter And so on to find duplicate images. And maybe this helps https://www.google.com/search?q=how%20to%20find%20duplicate%20pictures%20in%20lightroom

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines