Highlighted

June update performance and issues overheating computer

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am currently using a Macbook Pro 2020, Lightroom was working fine before the June update, after updating the software i started eperiencing slow performance visible when first opening Lightroom caching the files initially, also...... almost as soon as i start using Lightroom, the Macbook fan kicks in non stop and the computer gets hotter than usual, i didn't have none of these issues before the update, anyone else experiencing this?

Topics

Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

June update performance and issues overheating computer

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am currently using a Macbook Pro 2020, Lightroom was working fine before the June update, after updating the software i started eperiencing slow performance visible when first opening Lightroom caching the files initially, also...... almost as soon as i start using Lightroom, the Macbook fan kicks in non stop and the computer gets hotter than usual, i didn't have none of these issues before the update, anyone else experiencing this?

Topics

Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can uninstall the newest version and install LrC 9.2.1 from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

2020-06-21 12_59_47-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

2020-06-21 13_00_22-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

To see the other, older, versions you have to enable that in the CC DTA Preferences.

2020-03-13 09_16_37-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

1. Start LR, open the Activity Monitor, and clic on the CPU tab.  What's LR's CPU usage (% CPU) when you're not doing anything in LR?

2. In LR, click on the identity plate in the upper-left corner:

johnrellis_0-1592759628334.png

Is Face Detection enabled or paused?  It can consume a lot of CPU in background.

3. Click on the cloud icon in the upper-right corner:

johnrellis_1-1592759754851.png

Is cloud syncing enabled or paused?

4. "slow performance visible when first opening Lightroom caching the files initially". To what exactly are you referring? What did you see?

5. It's possible though unlikely that LR is rebuilding previews, which can take a very long time for a large catalog. About how many photos in your catalog? Have you left LR running overnight?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the very detailed information guys, when i check the activity monitor, %CPU is 208-280 from Lightroom Classic while is just open not doing any edits, face detection is on and looks like is indexing about 9k images as of the writing of this post.

Adobe cloud sync is on but i recently wiped my adobe online storage and have since only synced about 150 images to the cloud.

slow perfomance basically when i first open Lightroom, after the splash screen when the app is fully open, it takes a while to show the images previews.

Edit: %CPU is 384 now from Lightroom Classic in Activity Monitor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update: so pausing face detection dropped the CPU ussage to 10% and fan stopped spinning, i guess i didn't have face detection on prior to the update, ill have to leave it overnight sometime to finish the process.

Thank you so much for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you identified the cause. 

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0