• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts

Participant ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am relatively new to Lightroom, having used other products for many years. When I got CC I decided to start using LR instead of the workflow tools I had been using but I have run into what I assume is something pretty much everyone else knows. My question is whether or not it is possible to define the keyboard shortcuts for Lightroom. I work on a Mac if that is important.

I can not find any link to change the existing keyboard shortcuts and I could not find any files in the Adobe Library folders that looked like they contained keyboard shortcuts that could be revised, so I am at a loss. I would like to define my own keyboard shortcuts for things I do a lot. For example I am frequently editing LR images in PS, but each time requires that I right-click and search for the link to PS. I would like to be able to set that to something simple like a double-click since that works in Bridge. Is there any way to set up user keyboard shortcuts in LR?

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

The referenced article https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

is still correct: On Mac, you can use System Preferences to assign keywboard shortcuts to any command that appears in a LR menu. On Mac and Windows, you can edit the TranslatedStrings.txt file to change most LR shortcuts, including those for commands that don't appear in menus (but some shortcuts are hardwired); you can use the Keyboard Tamer plugin to make editing of that file easier. On Windows, you can use a thir

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For keyboard shortcut for the module your are in hit Ctrl + /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. I did not know that there was any list.

Is there any way to change the existing keyboard bindings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there isn't. Unlike other programs all keyboard shortcuts in LR are Hard Coded, can't be changed or added to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is a bit of a disappointment.

When I was browsing around in the Mac Library folders I came across the following entry:

/Users/user_name/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018/Presets/Keyboard Shortcuts

Although the folder was empty it seemed to indicate that Photoshop had customizable keyboard shortcuts, and by extension I thought the same thing would be true for Lightroom. I guess that means that I will have to memorize the most important shortcuts or just use my mouse. The existence of the folder tempts me to ask the same question on the Photoshop forum.

Thank you for letting me know about Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is customizable to a certain extent. By assigning a custom keyboard shortcut in Photoshop, you often cancel one of the shortcuts initially programmed by Adobe. I'm sure you understand that concept. However, those options are not available for Lightroom. The shortcuts that are programmed for Lightroom are hardcoded and are not optionally modified. What Adobe has provided is what is there, and that is it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

can we pls change this? 

is there a user voice area where we can submit these wishes?

like a feature request for lightroom? 

thanxs 

Peter 

rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.>Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR shortcuts are stored in a text file.  which can be precotionously modified.

See instructions in this article

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That if for setting, changing, Mac System keyboard shortcuts.

Although you may be able to create some that might work in LR Classic it is not the same thing as having the ability to change, modify or add LR Specific keyboard shortcuts.

Oh and I don't think that works anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The referenced article https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

is still correct: On Mac, you can use System Preferences to assign keywboard shortcuts to any command that appears in a LR menu. On Mac and Windows, you can edit the TranslatedStrings.txt file to change most LR shortcuts, including those for commands that don't appear in menus (but some shortcuts are hardwired); you can use the Keyboard Tamer plugin to make editing of that file easier. On Windows, you can use a third-party utility like Autohotkey to create new shortcuts for most commands. But these are all messy workarounds for the lack of a basic feature built-in to LR.

Also, the feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum for customizable shortcuts is:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/custom_keyboard_shortcuts_in_lightroom

It's one of the more popular feature requests. Adobe product developers do read everything posted in that forum but rarely participate here.  (Pavl2010 has recently posted on that feature request.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines