Highlighted

keyword hierarchy structure messed up

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a week ago I cleaned up all my keywords and organized them properly and all was good until this morning.  I imported some photos from a location on my hard drive that I don't normally - but that shouldn't be a problem...then I looked at the keyword structure on the right panel and it is totally messed up. It appears that some keywords are not in their folders, and some of the 'old' folders are appearing alongside the new ( for example - I had changed some folder names to be singular rather than plural : locations and location are now appearing)

Not sure what to do here. Any suggestions?

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

keyword hierarchy structure messed up

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a week ago I cleaned up all my keywords and organized them properly and all was good until this morning.  I imported some photos from a location on my hard drive that I don't normally - but that shouldn't be a problem...then I looked at the keyword structure on the right panel and it is totally messed up. It appears that some keywords are not in their folders, and some of the 'old' folders are appearing alongside the new ( for example - I had changed some folder names to be singular rather than plural : locations and location are now appearing)

Not sure what to do here. Any suggestions?

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos you imported- they possibly already had keywords added within their metadata.

If the 'imported' keywords do not match your 'new' KW structure they will get added to your KW list in addition to your "cleaned up" list.

You can create a 'Parent' keyword, and by a [Right-click],  mark this keyword as the 'folder' for all newly added keywords. It makes it easier to find these to re-organize.

ScreenShot329.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The command Metadata > Save Metadata To File writes the metadata manually, while the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP does it automatically.
I realise your issue looks like it is not so much of a Metadata but organisational problem perhaps.
However, you do allude to some inconsistency appearing and I thought this might help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Not sure what happened but I restored a backup and that did the job

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines