Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keywording superfluous

Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ALWAYS had an issue with keywording including the layer upon layer of "parent" words in Lightroom. So I deleted EVERYTHING and started over, except for names I hung on to three catigories. Names, People I Know, Family, Non. Names is a list of itself with no "Children." People I Know has two "Children" Family & Non. The issue is all the superflous words listed in keywords when I post a "Child" keyword. This is the reason I deleted all the keywords and started from scratch. If a word I want to use is in the "People I Know" parent in the "Child" Family, I see all the arrows & children, used in the location of the keyword. 

Keywording:

Keywords-01.JPG

Keyword Listing

Keywords-02.JPG

Other than having a basic stepless listing, is there a solution to this?

Thank you,

Gary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Lightroom forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you LinSims

As I recall I either could not post anywhere else or couldn't get out of where i was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Lightroom Classic forum, which is what the user is displaying in the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Todd Shaner

Originally it was just Lightroom for years and then Adobe changed it, changed it again, I soon gave up trying to keep up.

Thak you for putting my question in the appropriate place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you want to exclude those parents from export as well, you can double click on any parent and uncheck "include on export", and in the Keywords panel, choose "Will export" from the Keyword Tags dropdown list.

If, on the other end, you want them unlisted in the Keywords panel but still exported, I don't think it's possible.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Portfolio Â· Tutorials (Lightroom Classic, Photoshop,...) Â· Instagram

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Michale, I don't remember how I came to use the <<parent>> marks but doing so places that word permanent at the top of the keyword list. It is not something I originated myself. And that is the problem, the  <  > marks. That is the reason I deleted the concept of any groups & sub groups of words. I moved all the keyword parents such that there were NO parents No children etc. It worked, no more < > marks and no lineage of all those parents and all the children leading to the one word I did want to use. I didn keep the < > for the names because I have a couple hundred names.

The good news is that I inadverdently saw a flower that had the keyword, BuchartGardens.  A location, which I checked that had six "parents" none of which were turnig up in  the keywords with a bunch of  < > .  When I looked at the keyword list there was the word but the parent did not have the  < > markers as I had created the outline myself. And as I worked on this I rememberd the < >  marks must have come from a database of keywords I downloaded from a source eons ago when Lightoorm was introduced. I was not keywording in those days, so the issue never came up.

So I removed all the  <<< >>> markers from the primary keywords I have and used words preceded by  A  so they would be at the top of the list making it easier to find seen in the 1 image. I noticed the asterick after the A Names title, eventually figuring out that ment all New Person Keywords would go inside this keyword. See, layers upon layers of features.  I modified other similar keywords to suit.

Thank you all ~ it is an ongoing learning process!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines