• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keywords added offline not read by LR

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied  keywords, titles and captions from JPG files to RAF (Fuji XT-30) RAW files using Exiftool (the command I used was exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.JPG -iptc:all -r -overwrite_original -ext RAF DIR). The data is positively written in the RAF file (checked with the command exiftool -a -s -G file.RAF) but LR does not read it. In Library the Keywording, Title and Caption fields are empty. On grid view on the RAF thumbnails appears an exclamation mark and clicking on it the message "the metadata for this photo has been changed in Lightroom. Save the changes to disk?" that is not useful for me becasue I want that the keywords, titles and captions are read from the RAF to Lightroom.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you a lot

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Metadata->Read Metadata from Files in Lightroom Classic?

I don't know if Lightroom Classic will recognize metadata in the actual RAW, because I never tried this. I do know that Lightroom Classic can read metadata from .xmp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion.

Interesting, if I select a concerned RAF and use Metadata->Read Metadata from Files it updates just the Caption, not the Keywords or Title.

Go figure.

I know that I can use Exiftool to create new XMP files with the metadata stored in the JPG files,  but I would like to use just the RAW files without adding another level of complexity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but I would like to use just the RAW files without adding another level of complexity.

I'm thinking this isn't how Lightroom Classic works, and so you can't do it this way. I believe that one of the reasons for using .xmp files is so that the original RAW is never modified by Lightroom Classic, I believe this is by design. So LrC isn't looking for metadata changes written to the original RAW files.

As far as "another level of complexity", I have never found this complex at all. Lightroom Classic does all of your file management, and so I never ever ever see the .xmp files, unless I choose to specifically look for them (which is rare). So, basically, I never interact with the .xmp files, and management of my photos is not more complex because I have .xmp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I understand what do you mean and it makes sense. On my opinion it is a pity though, as if there is the info already inside the RAW why it is not possible to read it ?

Regarding the level of complexity the reason is that I have 3 copies of my photos in three different HDDs. If I add XMP files in the HDD read by LrC the number of the files in these directories will be different from the number in the other HDDs making the checking of the aligment of the three copies more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my opinion it is a pity though, as if there is the info already inside the RAW why it is not possible to read it ?

Lightroom Classic may not be able to read certain metadata in RAW files (although it does read some of the metadata such as capture time, ISO, exposure, shutter speed, etc.), but certainly other software can read it.

As far as checking alignment of photos with backups, I use a simple backup method that makes backups of everything in the desired folders, which would be all photos (and movies if I have any) and associated .xmp files. I can't imagine how the number of files would be different. So again, xmp files are not an issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clear, I have to revise my workflow then.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied  keywords, titles and captions from JPG files to RAF (Fuji XT-30) RAW files using Exiftool

Are you shooting raw + JPEG files? If so why? In addition why aren't you adding your metadata tags from inside LrC? That way the raw files are never modified, which would require recopying the backup files everytime you make a change to the metadata. You should also be using a backup file synchronization program, which will automatically keep track of file changes, additions, and deletions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that before moving to Lightroom Classic I was using Lightroom 6.14 that does not support the RAF files created by my Fuji XT-30. While in LR 6.14 I had only the JPG to play with. Moving to Classic, that reads the RAF files, they have, or better the catalogue for the RAF, no keywords. Therefore I have to copy with Exiftool all the keywords in the JPEG to the RAF.

Thank you for the link. I will study it. It seems pretty exhaustive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use this Syncomatic plugin to sync all the info from all the JPG files to RAF in one command.  Test on a couple photos first.

http://lightroomsolutions.com/plug-ins/syncomatic/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot, seems interesting. I will study that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a plugin that will copy over all metatdata including develop settings from the JPEG to raw file pairs. Just saw Bob Somrak reply....great minds think alike

You will probably still need to make some additional Develop adjustmenets to the raw files since the JPEG settings will not be optimized for raw files. Of course you can easily reset the develop settings to start over from the 0 defualt settings, which may work better.

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/syncomatic/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you and I will reply as I did for Bob: I will study it !

And thank you for your advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines