• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keywords in Lightroom - can't see the entire list

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to clean up my list of keywords in Lightroom.  I'm on 9.2.  Using Windows 10.  I can not see the entire list.  I can not take a key word out from the position of a subkeyword and make it a primary keyword.  

How do I get to remove keywords from a hierarchy AND be able to see all of my keywords.

I chatted with tech support.  They said if I installed the latest 9.2 from the 9.1 I was using it would fix the problem... it did not!  I still can not perform the basic functions on the keyword list.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...   and any suggestions for cleaning it up in a spreadsheet and reimporting if that is possible...

I have already deleted hundreds of "1" word assigned to an image to give me fewer words... but still no luck seeing the entire list... Metadata filter still says I have 2260...   I submit stock to Adobe and other companies, so I use a lot of keywords...   thus the clean up...  thought I would begin to group them in a hierarchy and assign some synonyms so I don't have so many... but I have to be able to manage the list first.   

Thanks  Terri

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get to remove keywords from a hierarchy AND be able to see all of my keywords.?

I do not think you will be able!

I seems this is a bug that has been reported long ago (8 years? since Lr1?)

See the forum thread at-

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/i_cannot_access_the_whole_keyword_list_to_edi...

Create Parent keywords with many child-words. And as you drag a visible KW hovering over a 'Parent' will open up the contained list.

ScreenShot225.jpg

https://lightroomkillertips.com/controlling-keywords/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cleaning it up in a spreadsheet and reimporting if that is possible...

It is possible BUT it does NOT re-link the keywords to the photos in your catalog, so big problems! Do not do!

This would only work ok when beginning a totally new catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I chatted with tech support.  They said if I installed the latest 9.2 from the 9.1 I was using it would fix the problem... it did not!"

Unfortunately, Adobe tech support will often say anything to close out an issue. 

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

"thought I would begin to group them in a hierarchy and assign some synonyms so I don't have so many... but I have to be able to manage the list first."

As described in the links provided by WobertC, there's a couple of tricks to introducing and managing a hierarchy when you have more than 1500 keywords.

1. Keep most of the hierarchy collapsed, so that fewer than 1500 keywords are showing at any one time.

2. Enter one or more search strings in the Keyword List search box, and it will show just those keywords (and their ancestors) containing those strings:

Untitled.png

Then you can easily drag and drop keywords to the desired parent keyword without scrolling excessively and without tripping over the 1500-keyword limit.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much for the response.

I understand the concept of the hierachy and collapsing down the categories... my problem right now is that I can not even add a new parent keyword...

So building those top level keywords and dragging the existing keywords into groups is not possible... I can't drag and drop...

I did export the list and review them... there are probably plenty I can group...  but because I have probably 1200-1500 stock images already with many keywords, I really don't want to mess those up...  

I guess I could try to break down my catalog into smaller ones as the keywords are associated with the catalog.. build several.. clean them up with the same keywork hierarchy and then merge the catalogs back together....  seems like a pretty drastic measure just to be able to move a keyword around on the list!

Pretty disgusting when you think I'm keywording for "ADOBE STOCK" and their own damn product keeps you from a decent workflow...

I'll keep trying...   erasing might be my last option!

Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

"my problem right now is that I can not even add a new parent keyword..."

What happens when you try these steps? 

1. Click "+" in the Keyword List panel to create a new keyword named "XXX":

2. Type "XXX" and the name of another keyword into the Filter Keywords box of the Keyword List panel:

Untitled2.png

3. Drag the other keyword to XXX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"because I have probably 1200-1500 stock images already with many keywords, I really don't want to mess those up..."

Dragging those keywords under parent keywords needn't affect how the images are exported.  You can edit the parent keywords and uncheck the option Include On Export, so they won't appear in the exported photos in the industry-standard metadata fields read by the stock agencies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I ended up just putting them in folders A thru Z so I could see them.  Then built a hierarchical structure and imported it blank along with the existing folders and began moving them into the new hierarchy or just assign the image to the new hierarchy and erase the flat keyword.  Time consuming but working.

For many of the flat descriptors I was able to assign them as synonyms...like Italian under Italy or German under Germany and delete the flat keyword.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem. Seems to be a rogue keyword that I created once and is no longer in the list and does not export, nor show in tags in Windows 10 explorer. Just shows up when I look at Keywords and Containing Keywords in Lightroom. Seems to be a bug I will just have to live with. There seems to be no way to edit it out in 1st option of Keyword Tags under Keywording.  I can change the keywords on the jpeg photos in Windows explorer and this shows correctly in Lightroom under Enter keywords but not the other options. It looks like the only way to get these keywords off the photos is to start a new catalogue and import the photos. I have not tried this yet but it should work. 
What I have learnt from all this is only apply keywords in a flat list - avoid heirachial keywording as in the end it will give you trouble and is quite unnecessary for most of us anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's big stretch to blame 'hierarchical' keywords for 'Ghost' keywords. I use a hierarchical keyword structure since version 1 and only experienced the ghost keyword once in the intervening 16 years of use. The word being 'ice'. It was listed against every image, but didn't export. Neither was it present in the file metadata. After much faffing around, the only solution that I came up with was to a create a new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines