Keywords in the Library Module will not delete?

Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a daily user of Lightroom CC, I habitually populate (paste) the keyword box of a new collection with high level keywords that apply to all the images in the collection. In the case of one collection, pre-existing keywords, that I want to delete will not do so.

My methodology is to highlight all the images, then highlight the keywords in the top right box in the Library module, and delete them. So far so good, they disappear, then I hit a return, and they are gone.

I then paste the replacement keywords, hit the return key, and the new keywords disappear, and the "deleted" keywords reappear. Very frustrating as I have done this without a problem many many times.

I tried restarting LR,  that didn't work. I tried going to the folder and doing it there, and finally, I went to The SmugMug Publish section in Library, and none of these worked. I even deleted the collection and re-created it to no effect. I work on a MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Adrian

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Keywords in the Library Module will not delete?

Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a daily user of Lightroom CC, I habitually populate (paste) the keyword box of a new collection with high level keywords that apply to all the images in the collection. In the case of one collection, pre-existing keywords, that I want to delete will not do so.

My methodology is to highlight all the images, then highlight the keywords in the top right box in the Library module, and delete them. So far so good, they disappear, then I hit a return, and they are gone.

I then paste the replacement keywords, hit the return key, and the new keywords disappear, and the "deleted" keywords reappear. Very frustrating as I have done this without a problem many many times.

I tried restarting LR,  that didn't work. I tried going to the folder and doing it there, and finally, I went to The SmugMug Publish section in Library, and none of these worked. I even deleted the collection and re-created it to no effect. I work on a MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Adrian

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 03, 2020 0
Mentor ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When AutoSync is turned off in the Library module (this is independent, of whether AutoSync is turned on or off in the Develop module) - anthing you do in the Keywording panel applies only to your active image (the one that shows in Loupe view; the slightly brighter-highlighted image, if you have got several highlighted). Changes are not applied to other highlighted images. So if you have got several keyworded images highlighted, then delete keywords and put in new ones - only this image is affected - the other images still show the same keywords as before.

If you turn on AutoSync for the Library module, the keywording panel now reflects that multiple images may be affected by an alteration. There's an additional bit of syntax: where a particular keyword is assigned to only some images in the current set, it has an asterisk after it. Editing out this asterisk causes that keyword to be present on all of the set, instead of only some. Deleting the keyword altogether removes it from the whole set. And typing in a new keyword applies it to the whole set - because of AutoSync.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Richard, 

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I omitted to mention that in this particular file, even if I select one image, delete the keywords in the Library module(top right box), then paste new keywords, and hit G for grid view, the added new keywords are replaced by the ones I deleted. So it appears that auto sinc on or off is not the problem. However, if I select one image in grid, and rather than pasting the keywords, I type a keyword, it sticks. when I hit return. Similarly, if I highlight two images, and type a word, it sticks, so it appears that pasting seems to be the problem

Further, on synchronizing after typing in the test words, they do appear in the IPTC screen, and do stick in the Publish function.

Agreed, I could type all the keywords, rather than pasting, but that would be burdensome. This is something new, as developing a list of high level keywords and pasting them to a new collection is my standard operating method.

Again, referring to your reply, with all images highlighted, enabling or disabling Auro Sync makes no difference, the deleted keywords reappear on hitting return, with the pasted images gone.

Thanks,

Adrian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further investigation discovered the source of  the issue, namely that deleting keywords for one, or a group of selected images, in a collection, and pasting new keywords in the Library module does not work as the replacement pasted keywords, revert to the folder generated keywords upon hitting the return key.

What was discovered is that applying and syncing high level keywords, such as the name of a country and country specific words at the folder level, before creating collections appears to dominate, and override replacement keywords entered by pasting at the collection level.

Attempting to delete these words in a collection, and pasting a new sub-set just doesn't work, as the Folder words dominate. However, deleting these keywords in the collection, and rather than pasting new words, typing them in instead works and the old folder keywords seem to have been dominated in a collection by typing, rather than pasting. Perhaps Adobe could look at this glitch/bug, since pasting should work as does typing.

Thanks for reading this
adrian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Mentor ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an example of the keywording text you are pasting, and explain where that has come from? I just wonder whether there might be some bad syntax / characters in that (how the keywords are separated, how keyword nesting, synonyms etc are expressed).

If you just want to make a number of selected images share the same keywords as a chosen image, you can highlight that one along with the others, and use the "Sync Metadata" feature.

I am unclear from your description whether your Collection contains virtual copies, or instances of the master copies. The idea of "at the folder level" vs "in the collection" being any different, so far as the attributes a given image has, did suggest that to me also. Just to recap this, a virtual copy starts out with whatever keywords its master copy possessed at that moment, but these are thereafter independent.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Richard, 

The following keywords were generated in Word and cut and pasted to lightroom.......

Adrian Tenser Travel Photography, Amritsar, Amritsar Lahore border, Colours of India, Explore India, Explore India with a camera, Images of life in India, India Border Security Force, India Border Security Force ceremonial uniform, India BSF, Indian soldiers, Life in India, Pakistani Rangers, Photographing India, Punjab, Tenser World Travel Photography, The Beating Retreat Ceremony Wagah India, The Great Trunk Road, The Great Trunk Road is one of Asia's longest and oldest highways, Travel in India, Travel photography, Wagah Attari border flag ceremony, Wagah border India, Wagah flag lowering ceremony Amritsar, www.tenserworldtravel photography.com,

To answer your question, yes there are some virtual copies where I have copied one of the images in the collection, and enlarged a section of the image.

Yes, I sync images on a daily basis, as well as entering data in the IPTC screen. As I mentioned earlier,  pasting keywords to the collection, either to a single image, or multiple images was fine until hitting return, when immediately, the newly pasted keywords were replaced with the ones I had deleted.

As I mentioned, whether a single image, or multiple images, if I delete the folder keywords, in a collection, and instead of pasting replacement keywords I type the new keywords, everything works like a charm.

I probably have twenty city collections for my India folder, and I tried pasting the same set of keywords to a number of collections, as an experiment, and the result was always the same, they didn't take. So since typing the keywords sticks, I have to assume that LR doesnt like pasting, but is happy with typing the identical words in the same order.

Lastly, I could be wrong, but I don't think virtual copies are the issue,  because the pattern is the same even when working with a single Dng image that is not virtual. I think there is a system glitch somewhere, because I do this all the time,  until now.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Adrian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Mentor ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I do notice "..Asia's longest highways..." and know that MS Word's autocorrect often substitutes a true 'curly' apostrophe character, when a 'wedge' single quote mark characterhas been typed. And some 'control' or 'format related' characters from MS Word might have become included in the copy-pasted data. LR should ignore these but who knows. Might it be worthwhile to try pasting keywords into LR out of a plain-text editor (such as Notepad), instead?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard, 

sorry to take some time to respond to yours

Per your advice, I am now using Notes to generate Keywords before pasting them to LR, and given that Notes generates wedge shape, instead of curly commas and apostrophe's, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for your detective work.

much appreciated.

Adrian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 0
Mentor ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that LR did not generate any warning. I can only find a list of characters that are not suitable for keywording due to having special meanings, and the apostrophe is not among those AFAICT. Perhaps the issue was something else to do with pasting from Word? Glad it's sorted out for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0