• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Library pictures slow to load after upgrade (LR5 to Classic)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied my LR5 catalog and Photo files to the new computer and opened the LR5 catalog in Lr-Classic. Everything got upgraded without issue. I've found now that the photos take a while to show up in Library. Before, I could scroll and find photos. Now, as I scroll, I have to wait for photos to load/appear before scrolling again to the next batch visible on my monitor. How can I make the photos "be there" when scrolling? I spent half a day scrolling bit by bit, allowing the photos to appear before scrolling a bit more, and more... hoping that there was a "library cache (?)" that needed to be built, but it was wasted effort. It still takes time for photos to load and makes finding pictures very difficult. My 7-year old previous iMac with LR5 whizzed through the Library and I could find things easily. My state-of-the-art new iMac (maxed out)  is a different story. Can someone offer me any suggestions? (I'm not syncing to cloud.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the upgrade, the previews have to be rebuilt also. That is usually done when needed and you may see a delay in loading when you first access a photo. You can kick the preview build process manually from the Library menu and let it render previews. Be a ware that this may take quite some time.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, F.McLion. You weren't kidding when you wrote "this may take quite some time." At the current rate, it will take days! But, if it'll speed things up, I'm happy to wait. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respectfully disagree with my colleague about the necessity to generate new previews upon upgrade. It may be the best option if; 1 -  you did not copy the existing Lr5 previews which would have been in the same folder as the catalog, 2- if your new iMac has a higher screen resolution (quite likely) ... 

I would recommend the same remedy in rendering new standard previews and then new smart previews. Both in the drop down Library Menu.

For the standard previews set the pixel width to at least the same as your screen uf possible so that Lightroom has a suitable sized preview in the cache rather than needing to render one of appropriate size as you scroll.....

Enjoy the upgrade, quite a change form Lr 5 to Lr 10 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reaching out. I'm Building Standard Previews at the moment. I noticed that the Preview Size was set to 1440 pixels. I changed it to Auto (5120px) while the previews were being built. Am I correct to assume that the pictures that get rebuilt after I changed this setting will be larger? I did not stop the building process for fear of having to start over after such a long wait and still only seeing the progress bar at about 20% complete. And, my desktop is a permanent fixture--would you still recommend my building Smart Previews? If I understand properly, Smart Previews are previews that allow me to see photos when I'm offline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just let the Standard previews render and yes it is a slow process if there are many. I forgot to mention but presume you were in All Photographs and selected the option to Render All... 

Do the same for Smart Previews as they can be useful and take much less time to render...

Yes and new files/pictures added will have the new size previews. Select the option to render Smart Previews in the Import Window when you import and they will both be done along with location and face detection ..

Hope this helps and ask any question even if it seems simple 👍🏿

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again! After 10 days, it looks like Lightroom Classic has finally rebuilt 652768 Standard Previews. I'm disappointed to find LR Classic clunky and slow. There's quite a time lag between my scrolling and what happens on the screen, and I still get the "Loading..." gray screen quite often. Would rebuilding again, this time selecting Smart Previews, make a difference? I used to blaze through my photos on Lightroom 5 and regret taking the plunge updating to a paid subscription only to find that things I'm much worse off. The attached 8TB HD is the same as before, and my iMac is maxed out on all fronts. Can you think of anything that might speed things up? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When your screen is more than half the size of your images (which based on the auto setting, I supect is true), Lightroom uses 1:1 previews. There's no way around this unfortunately as Lightroom uses preview pyramids. This means the preview file contains 1:1, 1:2, 1:4 etc size previews internally. These have to load as you scroll though. 

Fortunately Adobe have been progressing through improving speeds in Library recently, but obviously are not there yet. It's even worse on some Macs with custom screen profiles as there was a bug in LrC10 that really slowed these down. You might try setting your screen calibration to sRGB and see if it goes any faster-just to test as you're not colour accurate at that point. 

Smart Previews would only speed Develop, and then only with the Smart Previews editing option turned on in the Performance tab of Preferences. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying what Smart Preview does--it only speeds up Develop. I recalibrated to sRGB, and maybe because I want it to speed up, it *kinda* seems a bit speedier. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's quite a time lag between my scrolling and what happens on the screen, and I still get the "Loading..." gray screen quite often.

In the Library Metdata panel try setting it to Default or Minimal. Scrolling should then be faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the suggestion. Could you explain how to set the Library Metadata to Default or Minimal? I looked through Preferences and couldn't find anything with Metadata. When I pull down Library, I only see Filter by Metadata. Catalog Settings/Metadata doesn't give me such options, only "Automatically write changes into XMP" which is checked. Google search "lightroom library metadata to minimal" only turns up some information about settings when importing new files (at least that's what I think it says).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have included a screenshot. It's in the Library module Metadata panel on the right side as shown below. After changing the setting close and restart LrC to make sure it is applied.

Metadata panel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screenshot. I've toggled with this setting, but I'm finding Lightroom Classic still a bit too stressful to use on a daily basis. I'm thinking I might have to unplug my 8TB HDD (with all my photos) from my new system permanently and go back to using my old iMac with LG5 which zips through all my photos very smoothly. I really want LG Classic to work so that I won't have to have two iMacs on my desk, but at this rate (three weeks of my life on this), it's very discouraging. I'm more than open to any other suggestions that might speed/smooth things out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if optimizing your LrC catalog helps. Go to menu File> 'Optimize Catalog.' It will take some time with 652,768 image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Unfortunately, 'Optimize Catalog' didn't make a difference.  When I scroll, it takes 10+ seconds before it starts to move, and then it keeps going (doesn't stop), then I have to wait for the grayed-out photos to appear, another 10+ seconds.  This is only happening with LR Classic and no other apps are affected. Of course, I'm meticulous about maintenance (plus, my iMac is still very new and I don't have many things on it). I'm rebuilding Standard Previews for the third time in hopes that the third time's the charm. Desperate? Yes! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I recalibrated to sRGB, and maybe because I want it to speed up, it *kinda* seems a bit speedier."

Having tried just about everything lets try the above one more time as outlined at the below link. Assign the sRGB profile, shutdown and restart your system, launch LrC, and try again. This has worked for numerous Mac users to speed up scrolling in the Library module.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-your-displays-color-profile-mchlf3ddc60d/11.0/mac/11...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines