• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 10.1 very slow with macOS Big Sur

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Develop module very slow now.  On 2014 27" iMac. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such issues on this end with that OS and a MacBook Pro. 

There are lots of reports of some Mac system slow downs due to a bug still to be fixed and the 'fix' in the meantime is to load the 'generic' sRGB profile as your display profile, lower the resolution of the display. Does that help? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems I'm not the only person this is happening to....forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how do I load the 'generic' sRGB profile as my display profile?  At the moment Lightroom is just about unusable, & I have a lot of photos to edit!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on a macbook pro 2015. I tried to increase the cache for camera raw as recomended. Nonetheless the dip in performance brought my mac to a crawl. Any adjustment I do takes 30 seconds with a spinnig wheel of death. Seems to be also related to graphics card memory, but I can't say for sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue ever since I updated my OS to Big Sur.  This is bad!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue since I update to Big Sur 11.1 

LightRoom Classic 10.1

Nom du modèle : iMac

Identifiant du modèle : iMac19,1

Nom du processeur : Intel Core i5 6 cœurs

Vitesse du processeur : 3,1 GHz

Nombre de processeurs : 1

Nombre total de cœurs : 6

Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur) : 256 Ko

Cache de niveau 3 : 9 Mo

Mémoire : 40 Go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. LR Classic is basically unusable now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hard drive was full. I put large files in the trash but the hard drive was full with purgeable space. There was no way to purge this space. Finally I used Clean My Mac and in Maintenance I run Free Purgeable space. Now LR works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lightroom classic essentially freezes when I try the develop menu. Im seriously looking for alternatives. I would expect that when people are paying for the use of this service then we get the service to use! 

I'm SERIOUSLY annoyed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off graphics acceleration has resolved the issue for now. But Adobe needs to fix this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried Googling how to do this, but the check-box I'm instructed to
uncheck doesn't exist on my iMac. I'm not terribly tech savvy, I must
admit, but I'm going into Energy Saver but can't find any online
instructions later than from 2017. Or maybe I'll just use Luminar to
process photos until Adobe finds a fix in their next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Lightroom preferences under performance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it, thanks!  It's working much better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone on this thread.  I have a 2015 iMac (i7  4GHz processor, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB) that basically ground to a halt with the latest Lightroom upgrade.  Turning off the graphics acceleration seems to have fixed the issue.  

Guess the writing is on the wall... either move to another program, or upgrade when the M1 iMac comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely your GPU of your iMac is no longer supported in LrC 10, see the screen capture for the updated system requirements.

Where you see recommended you should consider that a requirement.

macOS sys RequirementsLrC10.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's super annoying if that's the case. Seems pretty arbitrary too, that it worked great a month ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At IcarusOne701, I am in a similar situation as you are, you are using an iMac 2014 and I an iMac 2015. I think we both need to consider the obvious our hardware is fast becoming obsolete, about six months ago I have switched off auto-update for my OS and Adobe so I can check on what the updates provide and new operating system requirements.

I am already preparing myself to accept that I will not be able to upgrade to the next macOS version 12, whatever it's called. Apple hare moved to Mojave > El Capitan > Big Sur in the last two years. I cannot even remember the name of the OS my iMac came with, OS-X whatever.

I have been in this "Circus" for over 40 years from IBM DOS to Windows for 30 years now to Apple for 5 years. Things are just becoming obsolete at an alarming rate. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, that can't be it, I only bought my new iMac about six months ago.  32gb of RAM, 27" 4K monitor (5120 x 2880), my problems with LrC only started when my Mac updated to the latest version of Big Sur, it was working fine before that. I'm sure Adobe is onto a fix for this as I've read on other sites that this isn't a rare problem.  And I have Luminar AI in the meantime to process photos, although turning off Graphics Acceleration has helped with LrC, too.

Thanks for your help, though, I really appreciate everyone's input as I'm a little clueless with the tech stuff! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Andy Lumb quote "Nah, that can't be it, I only bought my new iMac about six months ago."

I just wish to clarify the post I made earlier. I was making a general comment directed to the original post in the thread since there was no direct response to his post. He indicated he was using an iMac 2014 27". I recognised his system does not meet the requirements to use LrC 10 on macOS specifically as it relates to the GPU requirements. I have similar problems and I have an iMac 2015 27" monitor and my GPU is no longer working without problems.

It's interesting that there are numerous users also raising similar issues of poor performance, many did not offer and support info. You raised an issue and indicated you are using an iMac you purchased 6 months ago and additional system information. I was not able to respond to your specific issue.

The original author of the thread, on Dec 9th, has not participated since.       

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue... Super slow to the point of it being unusable. 

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED ASAP!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At cl64260995, you have not indicated but the original post in the thread indicated. Quote "Develop module very slow now.  On 2014 27" iMac."

Thread header.  "Lightroom 10.1 very slow with macOS Big Sur"

Is this the exact issue you are having? If not then pleases indicate the specifications of your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I started off this thread.  The performance of lightroom actually improved (a bit) over the frist couple of days of BigSur being on the machine - but was still not perfect.  I turned off the graphics accelerator and this seemed to have significantly improved things.  I also use Photoshop and so far that has been OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, turning off the graphics accelerator most definitely helped.
Photoshop seems to be okay for me, too, although the other day I was using
the Brush tool for masking on a masked layer & it was lagging a little bit,
but that's all I've noticed so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought new Macbook pro 13 (2020) inch Intel i7. Installed Lightroom and used it for few days. Upgraded to Bigsur today and am having serious issues with Lightroom. Does not open at all sometimes. Sometimes develop module freezes. Can't even move to next photo. 

Terribly slow and does not open at all sometimes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is brutally slow on Big Sur (version 11.2.1) — unusable. Constantly polling the hard disk — constantly. And in some cases taking minutes to build a single preview. Part of this is definitely a Big Sur bug (or malware). For example, file transfers of any kind involving an external hard disk take forever in Big Sur — 2 or 3 times longer than under Catalina. Disk checks, RAM checks, zapping NVRAM and resetting SMC had no effect. This is widely reported bug in Big Sur. Apple, of course, is pretending that there is no problem.

The problems I am seeing are on a 2019 MacBook Pro with 64 GB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz  8-core Intel i9 processor. AMD Radeon Pro 5500M graphics card with 8 GB or video RAM. This system is only 2 years old, but that is about the timeframe for Apple to deliberately cripple a system in order to try to coerce users to blow another $3500 on a new computer. (And yes, it has be proven that Apple has done this in the past.)

That Adobe is offering its bot response "We don't see this at our end" is just a reminder that both Apple and Adobe are really architects of malware and spyware now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines