• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3 and Lightroom Classic both still on computer

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently upgraded to Lightroom Classic and I'm a little surprised that  Lightroom 3 which I've been using since 2011 is still on my computer. The  only way I can access Lightroom 3 is while I have LR Classic open if I open an image that was originally in Lightroom 3, the image opens and the software swiches to Lightroom 3--and works just as it always did. (Trying to open Lightroom 3 from start menu brings an error)  

If I want to further modify a Lightroom 3 image using the LR Classic software then I have to export the image  and then import it  into LR Classic. When I do the image loses all of it's developement history and I can't go back to the original. It does retain the metadata.

Is this normal? I think I prefer it this way as it allows me to go back to the original image but just want to make sure I did the upgrade correctly and it's not going to cause my computer to bog down in some way. 

Thanks so much

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I point out the wonderful job Adobe has done in confusing people with all sorts of confusing product names. So let me ask a question, are you sure your Lightroom 3 is the old 2011 Lightroom 3 and not the identically named but new Lightroom 3 which is the cloud-based version of Lightroom? How do you know? Can you show us the first 5 lines from Help->System Info of your Lightroom 3.

Next, if it really is the old Lightroom 3, you simply need to upgrade the catalog to a LightrooM Classic catalog. No more exporting images. In Lightroom Classic, use File->Open Catalog or better yet File->Import from another Catalog (which merges the old catalog into the Lightroom Classic catalog) to do this upgrade so everything is now in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is definitely the old Lightroom 3 from 2011--I have the discs sitting right in front of me. I'm unable to access Lightroom 3 other than first opening LR Classic so I can't get the info you requested. When LR Classic opens all of my images, whether originally imported with Lightroom 3 or LR Classis, are listed on the left hand side in the Library. Lightroom 3 only 'opens' when I click on an image that was originally imported by Lightroom 3. The Lightroom 3 software appears instantly and works fine. If I click on an image that was imported with LR Classic the LR Classic software appears instantly and likewise seems to work fine. 

I'm ok with this as it preserves the development history of all the Lightroom 3 images--it just wasn't what I expected would happen and I want to make sure it's not going to cause computer issues going forward.  

thanks so much for your help--hope I explained this so it makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is definitely the old Lightroom 3 from 2011--I have the discs sitting right in front of me."

Disks sitting in front of you proves nothing. I want to know what is installed. I still ask, what does Help->System Info say (first 5 lines)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I actually just UN installed the Lightroom 3 that was on my computer. But I did attempt to get that information when you asked for it and I was unable to open Lightroom 3 to get it--only LR Clasic would open and allow me to see those first 5 lines.

Apparently, from what Bob has told me here even though the Lightroom 3 was installed on my computer once I installed LR Clasic, Lightroom 3 wasn't being accessed when I opened one of my older images. LR Clasic just using the Lightroom 3 sliders, history, etc. 

I'm the only one who has ever installed/uninstalled anything on this computer so I'm fairly certain it was the older 2011 Lightroom 3 that I just removed. 

thanks so much for your time and help dj_paige.  I sincerely appreciate it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really isn't a need for you to retain Lightroom 3. I find it strange that your operating system is actually switching between the two different programs. If you were to remove the old version and allowed Lightroom Classic to convert the catalog, then you would be able to edit those images using Lightroom Classic. If you choose to do so, you could switch all those Images that were originally edited using Lightroom 3 to the current process. That would then give you access to all of the updated tools available in Lightroom Classic. There really is no reason at all for you to keep Lightroom 3 on your computer, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(BTW: I think it's strange that my operating system is switching between the two different programs, too!)

If I do as you suggest --get rid of the old Lightroom 3,  then I can't go back to the orginal, unedited images--most of which were raw images.

Or are you saying that if I get rid of Lightroom 3 so that all of the images in Lightroom 3 can only be opened with LR Classic, that I will still be able to access the original raw images?  And if that is what you are saying then can you direct me to the steps I need to remove Lightroom 3 and convert it's catalog to LR Classic?

Thanks I really appreciate the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think a photo developed in Lightroom 3 was using Process Version 2.  Lightroom Classic is now at PV 5.  If you have a photo using PV 3 or 4 it will automatically update to PV 5.  Photos on PV 1 and 2 do not automatically update.  When you select a Photo developed in Lightroom 3 the menus will change to make Lightroom look like Lightroom 3 menus because it is PV 2.  You are NOT switching to Lightroom 3.  Just update the photo to Process Version 5 or edit using the old sliders.  Be aware the photo WILL change a little/lot when you update to PV 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting !

So if I remove Lightroom 3 from my computer I will still see/use the Lightroom 3 software when I click on an image that was origianlly imported/processed by Lightroom 3? The history of the image will stay with the image? The ability to do that is in the LR Classic software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure how you use Lightroom. I never have clicked on an image to start Lightroom. I have always started Lightroom, imported images, and always worked on them from within Lightroom. The history of an image does not stay with an image. All history stays with the catalog. The catalog is key to how Lightroom keeps track of what has happened to your images. Unless you have chosen the option to write changes to metadata in your preferences (which I have not done), the images are left completely altered as they were when they were first downloaded from the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use/open Lightroom the same as you: start Lightroom, import images, etc. but when I made the switch to LR Classic it seemed that Lightroom 3 'opened' when I clicked on an image that was originally imported with Lightroom 3 even though that image was listed in the library section of LR Classic. Now if I understand Bob correctly I'm actually not opening Lightroom 3 but rather LR Classic is able to utilize the sliders, info and history   from Lightroom 3 within LR Classic. Or is it 'drawing' that ability from the Lightroom 3 software still on my computer?

I'm definitely confused. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove Lightroom 3.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove Lightroom 3. You don't need it. If you want to continue using the controls of Lightroom 3 then just leave the process version set to version 3. If you want to use the latest controls of Lightroom Classic then change the process version to version 5, which is the current version. Then you will have all of the updated controls all of the latest version of Lightroom. You have no need to retain the old version of Lightroom on your computer. Lightroom Classic is not dependent on it for anything. It's just taking up room on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So regardless of whether I update the process version: removing Lightroom 3 from my computer will make no difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 3 is removed the same way you removed any other program. On the Mac, I understand that all that is necessary is to simply drag the program to the trash. But you know the Mac operating system better than I do. After you do that, all that is necessary is to double-click on the old catalog you have been using with Lightroom 3. That will activate Lightroom Classic. You will receive a notice that the catalog needs to be upgraded. Answer "Yes", and a new copy of that catalog will be created with the same name except it will have a -2 added to the end of the name. It will contain all of the work done previously, but will now be compatible with Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim

The OP apparently upgraded the catalog to Classic they said Lr3 wont run.  The OP is just seeing the Lr3 sliders in LrClassic as they are using a photo with PV1 or 2.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumont

You are not using the Lr3 software, you are using Lightroom Classic software that is showing the Lr3 sliders.  Fill Light for instance.  You can and should remove Lightroom 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob thank you. I do understand now that I'm just using/seeing the LR3 sliders. When I remove LR3 I will no longer be able to see the LR3 images in the original raw format unless I saved a copy of the original raw  image in LR3. Correct? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic hit Reset and you will see the original Raw.  Just REMOVE Lightroom 3.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then just change the process version and move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 3 has been removed! 

Lightroom 3 sliders, info still come up when a 'Lightroom' 3 image is clicked on.

I'll revisit changing the process version.  Just a little unclear about how Bob said the new process version may make the older images look different. 

Thank you so much for all of your help. I sincerely appreciate your time with me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom TRIES to update the edits from the old sliders, Fill Light, Recovery etc that no longer exist in the new PVs to the new sliders.  Change the PV.   If you don't like the new look you can adjust the new sliders.  Otherwise go back in history to before you updated the PV.  I would only do this on images you want to reedit.  As I recall Lr did a pretty go job of updating to the new sliders on most images.  I converted ALL of mine to the new sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so we are sure we are on the same page, the process version is changed in the Develop module, in the Calibration section. It's possible that your old images that were processed using Lightroom 3 are left with process version 3, and that is why you are seeing the old controls. Lightroom Classic is honoring those old settings. If you want to see the new settings then it will be necessary for you to change the process version by going calibration section and making the change. This is what it looks like:

Annotation 2020-04-27 110820.jpg

If you want to continue using the old controls then leave the processor version in Version 3. In either case, you are using Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also click the "Lightning Bolt" in the histogram in Develop that shows on a photo with and old process version.  It will then ask if you want to update to PV5

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 11.22.43 AM.jpg

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob will clicking on the lightning bolt just update the process version on the image being viewed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines