Highlighted

Lightroom 3, Catalina, and Catalog Dilemma

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

As you can see, I am not a LR super user because I was, until recently, still on LR3. Back in Nov. 2019 my trusty MacBook Pro 17" finally blew up. Fortunately, I had a couple fully-bootable backups of the entire contents. At the time I was debating entering the subscription service for the desktop based LR or moving over to another application. LR, my photos, and catalog were always stored on the computer. In Feb. 2020 I replaced my laptop with the new 16" MBP, which had Catalina pre-installed, and migrated all of my stuff to it from my backup.

I was aware of the 32-bit non functionality, but LR3 did open and operate on the new MBP. There was, however, a problem with LR locating the catalog. Perhaps I made a wrong selection when it first launched because there was a question about the catalog; I cannot be certain. My catalog was in its own folder mingled with the dated folders containing all my photos. Back in LR this required me to point dated each folder to its location. I subsequently moved the catalog outside of that folder where I think it is supposed to be but still had to point each folder. Got through a couple years of folders. (I believe in LR4 one can simply point to the general LR folder and all subfolders will be re-linked. Not so in LR3.) I figured I would just grind through it. However, the next time I restarted my computer LR would simply not launch, and I got the "LR will damage your computer....throw it out" warning.

So now I am wondering what is my best course of action:

1) Do I install the latest subscription LR Classic/Desktop, point LR to the location of the catalog, and hope everything will be fine? (Remember, my catalog is in semi-limbo.)

2) Do I install my LR3 from backup on another computer running Sierra, upgrade there, then move it to my new MBP running Catalina?Is this even possible?

3) Do I just move over to another photo application (which may require LR being upgraded and the catalog fixed for a successful migration)?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Mark Phillips

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 3, Catalina, and Catalog Dilemma

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

As you can see, I am not a LR super user because I was, until recently, still on LR3. Back in Nov. 2019 my trusty MacBook Pro 17" finally blew up. Fortunately, I had a couple fully-bootable backups of the entire contents. At the time I was debating entering the subscription service for the desktop based LR or moving over to another application. LR, my photos, and catalog were always stored on the computer. In Feb. 2020 I replaced my laptop with the new 16" MBP, which had Catalina pre-installed, and migrated all of my stuff to it from my backup.

I was aware of the 32-bit non functionality, but LR3 did open and operate on the new MBP. There was, however, a problem with LR locating the catalog. Perhaps I made a wrong selection when it first launched because there was a question about the catalog; I cannot be certain. My catalog was in its own folder mingled with the dated folders containing all my photos. Back in LR this required me to point dated each folder to its location. I subsequently moved the catalog outside of that folder where I think it is supposed to be but still had to point each folder. Got through a couple years of folders. (I believe in LR4 one can simply point to the general LR folder and all subfolders will be re-linked. Not so in LR3.) I figured I would just grind through it. However, the next time I restarted my computer LR would simply not launch, and I got the "LR will damage your computer....throw it out" warning.

So now I am wondering what is my best course of action:

1) Do I install the latest subscription LR Classic/Desktop, point LR to the location of the catalog, and hope everything will be fine? (Remember, my catalog is in semi-limbo.)

2) Do I install my LR3 from backup on another computer running Sierra, upgrade there, then move it to my new MBP running Catalina?Is this even possible?

3) Do I just move over to another photo application (which may require LR being upgraded and the catalog fixed for a successful migration)?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Mark Phillips

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Yes

2) No, you can upgrade the catalog under Catalina with a current version of Lightroom

3) That's up to you (although LR Catalogs do not "migrate" to other applications; you have to manually transfer the photos to other applications)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you DJ. I may try #1 very soon.

Mark

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ,

I am set up but just want to confirm that I want to simply ADD PHOTOS to the new LR (I pointed LR to the old LR folder containing all the photos and catalog), which I am not sure will create a new catalog or see my old catalog and update it. I've glanced at some articles on various LR blogs, but I don't want to make a huge mistake.

Thanks,

Mark

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am set up

More specific information is needed.

I want to simply ADD PHOTOS to the new LR (I pointed LR to the old LR folder containing all the photos and catalog)

Is this the old catalog, or perhaps the old catalog which has been upgraded to Lightroom Classic? Anyway, the choice of ADD or COPY or whatever is up to you.

which I am not sure will create a new catalog

A new catalog is only created by the menu command File->New Catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ,

Sorry for being vague. Last night I downloaded and installed the $10/month LR package that includes the desktop version. So the new LR is running on my MBP and the only options in the File menu are ADD PHOTOS or MIGRATE FROM --> Lightroom Classic Catalog.

I get the feeling that ADD PHOTOS is for a user who are just starting with LR.

Below is a screen shot of my home folder. 1/31/20 was the first and last time I was able to touch LR3 on my new MBP. You can see the new LR Library created today. The old Lightroom folder contains my old catalog and almost 1600 folders photos.

Don't know if this info clarifies anything.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 12.06.16 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not appear to be Lightroom Classic. Can you go to Help->System Info and report the first 5 lines shown there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a bit worried about that. I rummaged all around Adobe looking for just a plain LR Classic/Desktop but kept coming up with this and it didn't feel completely right. I am only on the trial version at the moment.

Lightroom version: 3.2 [ 20200204-0604-bc5e360 ] (Feb 4 2020)
NGL Version: 1.14.0.16
Operating system: macOS
OS Version: 10.15 [3]
Application architecture: x64

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not Lightroom Classic. If the package you downloaded has Lightroom Classic, use that (look in the Create Cloud Application, it's called "Lightroom Classic").

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Yes, in the Cloud application then download and install LR Classic. I guess it launches CC by default. Now here is where I may have made my catalog error back when opening LR3 in Catalina for the first time:  It's telling me the LR catalog cannot be found. I believe last time I chose Use Default Catalog. This time I should probably Choose a Different Catalog and point it to my existing one, correct?

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ,

It seemed like the logical thing to do and it worked. Classic updated the catalog and it seems to be OK. It was a bit deceptive that after I downloaded the Lightroom package and installed it that the CC version automatically launched. Having no experience with the Creative Cloud, I was unaware I had to launch that and dig up Classic from within.

Anyway, thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Mark

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines