• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.7 - how do I update to Lightroom Classic 9.0 without losing my current work?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys! I am a pro photographer. Still using Lightroom 5.7 but since updating to MacOS Catalina, LR has started playing up when I try to export things. I know I need to update but have been afraid as I am always in the middle of a few jobs. And I have loaaads of our travel photos stored on there too. How do I not lose everything, including presets etc??? What will happen next if I click 'install' Lightroom Classic 9.0? Do I need to do some groundwork to back up things beforehand or does it does it do it automatically? Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

As far as I know the new installation should sit independent of the current Lightroom 5.7, so that either one can be used at will.

Your present presets and your present Catalog will not be affected by the install of LR Classic 9, and nor (of  course) will the photos.

It will be necessary for LR Classic 9 to convert your old Catalog into its newer format. This happens as a COPY which is saved in your choice of location and under your choice of name, but by default will be saved in the same place,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know the new installation should sit independent of the current Lightroom 5.7, so that either one can be used at will.

Your present presets and your present Catalog will not be affected by the install of LR Classic 9, and nor (of  course) will the photos.

It will be necessary for LR Classic 9 to convert your old Catalog into its newer format. This happens as a COPY which is saved in your choice of location and under your choice of name, but by default will be saved in the same place, with a dash and a number added as a suffix to the name. All that your old Catalog contains and consists of (edits, virtual copies, collections, smart collections, publish setups...) will be transferred in. The imports of the photos themselves are included in that, hence each source file on disk is now referenced by two Catalogs (IOW, is potentially shared). Be aware of this if carrying out any file operation or writing any metadata while continuing to use both LR versions and hence both Catalogs in parallel. The other Catalog will notice and bring up a lot of metadata warnings etc. IMO the best course is a clean break once you've confirmed the successful transfer and to stop using the old version. In due course that Catalog can be taken off the computer (to archive, ideally). The new Lightroom will need to convert all your Presets from the old format into the new XMP format and this is also done as a Copy.

If the new LR does not detect and automatically convert and then open the old Catalog it will suggest making a new empty one by default. That can be ignored; tell new LR to open the old Catalog and it will start a conversion of that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah okay thank you so much for the detailed info! That's exactly what I was after. And was also worried about doubling up on memory space as there is soo much in my LR catalogue. I will let you know how it all goes, once I get game and update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you'll find a good article with a lot of infos:

https://laurashoe.com/2019/11/04/how-to-update-to-lightroom-classic-9-from-any-prior-version/

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, that's helpful! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines