• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.7 with Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom 5.7 and I can't see my pictures from my new Canon. Do I need Lightroom 6? In the description it is said, that it is not necessary to by a new version it is just necessary to update the converter? Thanx

kind regards, caren

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You can find more info on using the DNG Converter, as well as the paths to the latest downloads, here:

Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'to buy', sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert the files to DNG and use your 5.7. I did that with my Mk IV. I did that for a job and then upgraded to LR6, which handles the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find more info on using the DNG Converter, as well as the paths to the latest downloads, here:

Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot to Jeffrey, DPluimer. But it is too complicated to use the DNG converter. One more 'working step'.  I think I prefer usIng LR 6 or try to work with DPP, but it needs too much storage.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand. If you decide to go that route, there is special upgrade pricing for Lightroom 6 when upgrading from Lightroom 5. Or, you can subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photography Plan for a monthly fee and get Lightroom, Photoshop, and some extra services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you think using the DNG converter is so complicated? All you need to do is use the DNG converter as your software to download the images from your card. Choose the folder on the card, choose a folder on your computer as the destination, convert. When the images have been transferred to the hard drive there in the DNG format. But if you prefer not doing that then you will need to purchase Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to jim! But i bought the Upgrade to LR 6 and it works! Thanks to everybody for helping me so fast although it was not the first thread about this problem! Kind regards! Caren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and the fix was super easy (and free).  As others said get the Adobe DNG converter. My process is as follows:

1. Take the card with your MKIV files on it and insert in computer. If Lightroom auto starts and tries to import files hit cancel.

2. Leave card in computer and start the DNG converter.

3. Have the DNG converter convert the files on the card to dng, delete the RAW version, and save the DNG files to the same card. (this sounds wordy but once you set up the converter the first time you're set).

4. Take the card with the DNG files and import the files to Lightroom.

5. When I installed the DNG converter on my computer (which has LR 5.7) it automatically setup the converter to be compatible with ACR ver 7.1 which LR 5.7 can read.  You can set up the converter to be backward compatible to Lightroom 4 or maybe even older.

6. The entire process doesn't add 30 seconds to my workflow.  The only issue is you must be sure your memory card is less than half full since momentarily it will have both the raw and dng files. It will however delete the raw (or it can be setup to save them if you're a worrier) files after conversion to dng.

7. Converting to dng also saves about 15-20% per file also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only question I have about your workflow is why you are converting and saving the DNG files to the card. You can set the destination folder to one on your hard drive. Then all you have to do is import to Lightroom using the Add option. Your way works, of course. But it just seems that you are adding an extra step that isn't necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I import my way Lightroom makes the folder for me automatically (folder is date name). It just saves me a couple keystrokes, but your way works as well.  I see the value of your way in that I don't have to worry about filling the card, but it's usually never an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines