• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 crashing when straightening

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5 hangs and crashes very regularly ( about ten times in an hour ) when I use the crop tool and straighten the image? I tried deleting the preferences, increasing the cache, creating a new catalogue.... it continues to crash.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it still occurs in the 5.2 RC version unless constrain to warp is left unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIghtroom 5.2 RC has been significantly more stable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am having the same issue even after I updated to 5.2 RC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running OSX 10.8.4 on a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac 27" 32GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete Green, I'm seeing this problem in both 5.0 and 5.2RC. I'm running the CC collection under Win 7 64 SP1. The issue seemed to arise quite suddenly for me -- it occurred once last Friday, then today I had repeated freezes -- not simply of Lightroom, but of my entire computer, requiring a hard reboot. Windows did not generate an "unexpected error caused Windows to shut down" message, presumably because it went straight from full-freeze to reboot. So far, my very similar installation at home (same o/s and s/w, almost same h/w) has not (touch wood) started to do this. So it's clearly something difficult to pin down.

Checking "constrain to warp" did not help -- I had the same outcome; for now, I've abandoned LR and am going straight into PS via the Camera Raw 8.1 tool, in order to work on my files. I look forward to an early resolution, since I deal with a great many images and LR's tagging and organization capabilities are fairly critical to my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

totally annoying and happening to me too.  all day today.   even just within a few minutes of each crash.  is this being fixed??  what is th solution here???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem nearly everytime we crop, the software crashes. Please fix Adobe...its been a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jose,

Have you tried this updated DLL? helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-5-crashes-editing-images.html

Is that any better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the new ui.dll for both 5 and RC5.2; the result has not, alas, been good. I can see individual images (E), but the catalog view is blank, I cannot see the image in the Edit module, and the module selections at upper right are gone. Meanwhile (before I attempted the new dll) I found that I could freeze my computer simply by clicking on a thumbnail in catalog view; this seemed like new behaviour, but perhaps it's the passage of time rather than any specific action that's causing the problem. However, I'd been running LR for only a couple of minutes when it happened (since I've attempting to work without LR as much as possible).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[for catalog read Library, for edit read Develop...]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows Julian? Which OS version?

Have you tried a new user account with Lightroom to see if that will cause the freezes as well?

LR shouldn't be able to freeze your whole computer.

If this is a different/newer freeze, we should track it down and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete, sorry -- included that info in post above, but didn't reproduce: I'm on Win 7 64x SP1. I haven't tried logging in as a new user, but I'll do that. It's particularly odd as I have essentially the same hardware at home, and my home installation has not showed signs of trouble.

But another point of interest is that, since I deleted the new ui.dll and re-named the original (getting my Library view back in the process), the crash hasn't happened; I've been cropping and leveling and exporting and so on, but so far (and I'm on tenterhooks every time I enter the program) the issue has not recurred.

As far as the freezing is concerned, I thought the same thing -- it didn't make sense: but alt-tab took me nowhere, ctrl-alt-del did nothing; it was as if the keyboard was disconnected. Hitting re-set on my box took the display away but, oddly, did not initiate a re-boot; for that, I had to press and hold the power button to turn the system off.

Thank you!

Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woops, didn't see that you had provided OS already. Appreciate your patience with me Julian.

The good news sounds like the crashes have subsided for you.

I'll be curious if they come back, and if a new user changes their frequency.

Do update us when you discover new information, or have further trouble.

Regards

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same issue. And I can recreate it.

Select lenscorrections>standard, at automatic (does't matter if any checkbox is selected), go to the croptool and touch the rotation handle: Lightroom 5 hangs and gives the beachball to look at. It happens after approx. 20 minutes of editting in Lightroom.

No other big applications running. (just clock2, mail and skype).

When I look at the recources I see my memory ran out and my pagefile keeps building up until my disk is full. If I don't force quit lightroom in time my computer hangs (obviously).

Had a chat with Adobe support and remade the preferences without succes.

I do hope this issue will be adressed soon.

(I keep sending the crash reports)

Regards,

Brecht

(Adobe CC @ Retina, medio 2012, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB ram, OS X 10.8.4, SSD)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2013 Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am on an MacPro 2009 with OSX 10.8.4 and LR 5.0, and it is the same here, every time I use the crop tool for straightening LR crashes!! It can be made less annoying when making the crop smaller before straightening and then resize the picture but this is a pain when editing 500+ pics from a wedding!!!! Just now have had this problem with a picture about 6 times before I removed it from the edit - Adobe please FIX this!

Thanks,

Rudi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2013 Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The released version of Lightroom 5 continues to crash about 30% of the time when straightening a photo. Especially after using the lens corrections options.

I am using a MacBook Pro 15" retina with 16GB RAM and the beachball spins and doesn't resolve. I have to force quite LR to exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With ref. to my posts 33 and 36, above, I am beginning to wonder whether the computer freeze issue was purely coincidental, and not attributable to LR. I am fairly sure that cropping and straightening did cause LR to crash a couple of times; but this perception may be conditioned by the fact that others were reporting this phenomenon.

But today my computer froze -- had to do a hard re-boot-- when I wasn't running LR, or PS, or just about anything except a Shockwave flash-based video under Chrome. When I got the computer back up, Chrome offered to recover all my tabs, which I allowed it to do; at the head of the pertinent tab, Chrome told me that shockwave had crashed. This seems like too much of a coincidence. It hardly seems likely that shockwave was running during each of my freezes over the past couple of weeks, but I couldn't guarantee that that was true -- I'm typically running Chrome in the background as I work, so I can keep tabs on email and so on.

Part of the trouble with CC is that I'm not confident I can always tell whether the s/w has been modified in the background; in theory, I think, it's always the case that the CC desktop app will invite me to update as something becomes available -- but is it possible that for certain fundamental bug-fixes, Adobe would opt to push the update, so to speak, behind the scenes?

Anyway, I (gingerly, gingerly) used LR today without problem, so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's getting worse, not better. Here is  a narrative I attempted to submit to the Adobe bug-reporting site; it, however, is not accepting the "Continue..." button so evidently I cannot communicate with them. Wonderful.

There is a serious issue with Lightroom 5.2 that has made the program unusable: in short, it freezes my O/S and forces me to do a hard re-boot using the power key. The ui.dll “hotfix” does not help – though it did succeed in eliminating the preview tiles in Library view, before my system froze again. The same issue affected the previous release. I'm using CC on a Win 7 64 system. I've been tracking similar issues in discussion forums (and these apparently affect Mac OSs as well as Windows), but my particular problem appears even more fundamental, as it's not simply a program crash. The issue is now perhaps a month old -- at first it appeared to be related to the crop/straighten tool, but then it occurred when adjusting sharpening tools, and simply browsing in the library module. I have just run LR and had the freeze twice simply from starting it -- once in Windows safe mode, once not. On re-start, LR usually (but not always) says it has a problem with the preview files, but is ok when I run it again (until it freezes, of course). Sometimes Windows asks if I want to start in Safe Mode, sometimes not. The freeze leaves no log as far as I can tell, since it's instantaneous and unrecoverable. One odd phenomenon: my mouse's transmitter has an LED that blinks to indicate mouse activity. When the computer is frozen, it still blinks when I move the mouse... No other communication with my system seems possible. For now I'm going to do my work in Photoshop, which is more cumbersome for most tasks; but I cannot repeatedly re-boot in the middle of attempting to get something done. Oh, and I have an almost identical setup (s/w, hardware) at home, but there LR has shown no signs of trouble, fortunately. I have uninstalled and reinstalled LR; updated my video driver; quieted background programs... Nothing seems to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian,

If your computer is hard freezing (requiring reboot), then there is probably something else on the system causing that conflict, or possibly even a hardware malfunction.

For troubleshooting, you might try to uninstall and reinstall LR5.2, also you could reset the LR preferences as well.

Resetting preferences: blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-basic-troubleshooting-to-fix-most-issues.html#Preferences

You might also try seeing if you can turn off unnecessary startup applications and services using Start> Run > type "msconfig", then press OK.

This will launch the STartup utility. Head to the Startup Tab, and uncheck most everything here (for testing's sake). If it says Adobe, then perhaps keep it on, but most things can be removed in this list (and can be re-checked later as needed).

Also goto the services tab, then click "Hide Microsoft services", and unchcek the non-adobe services as well from this list.

This will put you in a "Selective Startup" over on the general tab.

Hit OK, and restart the computer when it asks.

Try Lightrom out again after doing some of that and see how it goes.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in Lightroom 5.2, available now.  Read more about it here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not corrected in 5.2 !! 

As it happens, it is currently happening to me at the moment. What I noticed first off was when you set the crop on a photo ex: 4x5/8x10 and lock the ratio so the ratio does not change; if an adjustment is made to the image via moving the location of the crop with the hand tool, the locked ratio becomes custom. If you try to adjust the amount a photo is cropped by grabing the bottom or top edge of the crop frame, the "locked" crop ratio begins rotating the the different preset sizes as you drag the edge.

This is a SERIOUS flaw in the program. As I am a school photographer and I use LR to set the crop on ALL the images I shoot, it becomes a serious problem.

As I have just spent the last 7 hrs adjustsing images, only to be completely locked out of LR 5.2 ! The program became unstable and froze giving me the never ending pinwheel of death. After 20 minutes of waiting, I was forced to force close LR. I now can not open LR 5.2. I am guessing that the days of prossesing over 4000 school images are lost to me because I can not open LR. That I will have to start over.

If there is a solution that will help me recover the work I have done, I would be happy to here it.  LR 5.2 has spent 15 minutes and has not opened up completely. The pinwheel of death is everpresent!

LR 4.4 will open as will LR 3.6 will also.

I too have sent my crash report in to apple.

Message was edited by: mhlh90 ***note*** LR 5.2 never reopened after several tries. Ended up deleting LR 5.2 and re-installing it. Was able to re-open the catalog, but all of the crops applied to the 1500 images I have been working on today have been LOST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have discovered that 5.2 brings no relief. To recap: Windows 7 64x SP, AMD mobo and cpu, 16 GB ram, CC, AMD Radeon HD 7xxx video card.

I have uninstalled LR and re-installed fresh. I have updated my video driver. I have run LR with almost nothing else running (AMD Catalyst suite, Bridge CC, the usual complement of background system tray things like Kaspersky Pure 3.0).

Today has been especially frustrating: I worked for almost 15 minutes in LR without issue and then had the familiar system freeze. This is not LR simply crashing; it freezes my display and leaves me no option but to re-boot using a long press on the power button. It does not appear to relate to any particular action in LR, though I know many feel it's associated with crop/straighten; it has happened when simply looking at my library, and when manipulating the noise reduction slider.

The freeze happens only when LR is running; I believe it happened once when LR was live but minimized -- of that I can't be entirely sure, because the number of events is adding up rapidly. I should start a symptom diary I suppose, but there's depressingly little to note, except this, a weird thing: my mouse has a transmitter whose LED blinks when the mouse is moved. During the freeze, I can move the mouse and see this LED blinking (though the cursor does not move), so something is alive in there, but inaccessible to communication by any part of the HMI. The best metaphor I can think of is that LR puts my computer into a vegetative state or coma, where it can receive but not respond to inputs from the outside world.

During the most recent crashes, I ran task manager to see if I could observe anything odd happening with CPU and memory use at the critical point, since the freeze leaves task manager, like everything else, displaying. There was nothing odd about either trace.

LR is a critical tool in my workflow; I can, of course, open my CR2s in Photoshop, and even propagate adjustments and so forth in Bridge. But for efficient cataloguing, searching, and the simple everyday things I do to most images, LR is essential. I do hope this problem -- undoubtedly difficult to pin down and correct -- is dealt with soon.

Oh, and today Photoshop CC "stopped working", but within Windows' error-handling capabilities, since I got the apology dialog and an offer to send information, presumably to Microsoft. I'm sure this is unrelated, but it was certainly unwelcome.

Oh, and I have not so far lost any adjustments during a freeze; LR remembers everything I've done, so I hope this will prove true for mhlh90 as well. Sometimes, though not always, after I've rebooted, LR says it has a probloem with its preview files and needs to close. On reopening, things seem to work. Most recently, on re-boot my computer apparently didn't even know it had had a crash -- it didn't offer me the option to go to Safe Mode. Or perhaps it was just bored with doing the same thing every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been able to reproduce the crop issue that you've described. What actually happened when you tried to relaunch LR 5.2 after the crash? Did LR 5.2 quit immeidately or did it hang? If you go to Help>System Info, does the Lightroom version say 5.2 [922700]?  Make sure your setup does not match the issue reported here http://forums.adobe.com/message/5591324#5591324.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonsaith wrote:

I have not been able to reproduce the crop issue that you've described. What actually happened when you tried to relaunch LR 5.2 after the crash? Did LR 5.2 quit immeidately or did it hang? If you go to Help>System Info, does the Lightroom version say 5.2 [922700]?  Make sure your setup does not match the issue reported here http://forums.adobe.com/message/5591324#5591324.

It Hung never to open up again until re-installation.  

After the reinstall, LR did come back but all of my crops were off. Color adjustments were ok.

My workflow is as follows: after import, I finish one photo (school images) complete; highlight all photos & sync.

From that point I adjust the crop as needed, keeping the crop ratio locked.  It still does not work correctly.

As I adjust the postion of the photo in the crop, the ratio becomes "custom"; if the crop needs to be tightened or loosened, by grabing the bottom handle, the crop scrolls thru all of the different preset sizes: 4x5 / 8x10 (where I start from), 8.5 x 11, 5x7, 2x3, custom, 11x14.

So now my workflow requires that after a crop has been adjusted, I must lastly go back and set my crop to 4x5 / 8x10.

This is a great pain in the rear!!

See below

Software is up to date.

SYSTEM

Hardware Overview:         

Model Name:    iMac

Model Identifier:    iMac12,2

Processor Name:    Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:    3.4 GHz

Number of Processors:    1

Total Number of Cores:    4

L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB

L3 Cache:    8 MB

Memory:    16 GB

Boot ROM Version:    IM121.0047.B1F

SOFTWARE

Lightroom version: 5.2 [922700]

Version: 10.7 [5]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.4 GHz

Built-in memory: 16384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 2378.9 MB (14.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2751.7 MB

Memory cache size: 3695.4 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1080

Application folder: /Applications

Library Path: /Users/mhlh90/Pictures/Lightroom/LR5/LR5.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/mhlh90/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) Imagenomic Portraiture

6) Leica Tether Plugin

7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512

AudioDeviceName: Built-in Output

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: LR5x20

CoreImage: true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you generate and make use of Smart Previews in your normal workflow? What is the size of your machine's boot partition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines