• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6.14 - Error on launching playback of slidehows on macOS Catalina (10.15)

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is to report a problem encountered after upgrading the OS of my Mac to Catalina. On launching the playback of a slideshow, a message appears prompting "Dynamic Link Media Sever failed to launch. Slideshow playback is not possible due to an error." and suggesting to relaunch the app, which I did unsuccessfully, or, if the error persists, to re-install Lightroom, which I cannot do.  But there might be also other bugs of which I am still unaware. Since I am using Photoshop Lightroom v. 6.14, purchased in May 2015 and updated until December 2017, I am afraid that the only way out will be to buy Lightroom Classic's last version (I am not interested in the Creative Cloud). The question is: is the current version (8.4.1, if I'm not wrong) already 64-bit compliant and as such supported by Catalina or is it better to wait until Adobe prepares another version? Thank for your support and advice.

Andrej Michelcich, Trieste, Italy

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Lightroom 6.14 has not been tested with the new macOS Mojave and there are components in Lightroom 6.14 that use 32-bit code which macOS Catalina does not support. 

Please check the link below for details on the compatibility of Lightroom Classic with macOS Catalina.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your immediate reply. Any idea of how long will it be necessary to wait until a complete and safe new release of LR Classic fully supported by new macOS Catalina will be available? Are we talking of weeks, months, ...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There won't be a perpetual release that supports it. I do know that Adobe Max is coming up and there are often new releases then. I've no foreknowledge on this, it's just an observation based on the last few years of releases around that time.
Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be sure there will be no further updates to Lightroom 6.14 and you appear to be aware of this, the last update was Dec 2017.

Lightroom Classic is only available with the Photographers plan which is part of the Creative Cloud applications and is available by monthly or annual subscription.

As indicated in the info of the help link above there are some known compatibility issues with Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 which are being worked on.

Adobe does not advise timelines for updates but it best to wait for a couple of weeks for both Apple and Adobe to provide bug fixes. Hopefully in a few weeks.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for your reply. I'll check regularly on your website until the new version of Lightroom Classic is released and can be purchased. Needless to say this unexpected inconvenience is a bit upsetting. Thank you for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines