Lightroom 6.14 won't open after migrating to a new Mac

Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved to a new Mac and my copy of Lightroom 6.14 migrated okay, but I have had to move my picture files to a new external hard drive. Somenow in trying to import the old catalog I've messed something up so the Lightroom splash screen flashes and then disappears and it doesn't open. How can I reset this? I have a TimeMachine of my old Mac, but not the new one. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 6.14 won't open after migrating to a new Mac

Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved to a new Mac and my copy of Lightroom 6.14 migrated okay, but I have had to move my picture files to a new external hard drive. Somenow in trying to import the old catalog I've messed something up so the Lightroom splash screen flashes and then disappears and it doesn't open. How can I reset this? I have a TimeMachine of my old Mac, but not the new one. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 16, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Lightroom 6.14 is not opening on your computer as you recently migrated to a new Mac computer and the catalog you migrated no longer opens.

Which version of Mac OS are you running on your new Mac? Are you able to create a new catalog on the new Mac?

Please chcekout the system requirements: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have Catalina on the new Mac, and no, I can't get LR to open now. It appears it did create a catalog (empty) before something now prevents it from opening. 

Thanks,

David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6.14 is not supported on Mac OS Catalina. To test is this is related to any permissions related issue, please checkout the response below from Davidg. Let us know how it goes.

~Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 0
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have Catalina on the new Mac, and no, I can't get LR to open now. It appears it did create a catalog (empty) before something now prevents it from opening. 

So on your MAC, outside if Lightroom, bring up System Preferences, select Security and a Privacy, select the a Privacy tab, scroll down to Files and Folders, make sure Lightroom, and while you are at it Photoshop, and make sure all the boxes are checked

93D5781B-69E1-4BAD-A061-1D42C057CA0B.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 1
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I was on a 3-year-old Macbook running Catalina.  Lightroom was working just fine.  (Lightroom 6 version 6.14; Catalina v 10.15.6)  I bought a new (2020) Macbook and used Time Machine to migrate all of my files, apps, etc. to the new laptop from the back-up drive.  When I booted up after import was completed, all of the icons corresponding to apps that I had in the dock of my prior laptop were on the dock of the new laptop.  So far so good.  I tried to open LR, and it wouldn't open.  When I clicked (or double clicked) on the icon, the little light directly below the icon--the one that indicates that the app is open--would come on for a second, then wink out.  Trying to open from the "Applications" menu did nothing.  I uninstalled LR and then reinstalled, using the external hard drive I used to migrate the data in the first place.  That didn't work.  Then I did the same, using a different hard drive with the same data (I keep multiple external back-up hard drives).  Still nothing going.  

I still have LR on my "old" laptop.  Is that the problem?  Do I need to uninstall it?  If so, how do I make nsure I actually can reinstall LR on my new laptop?

I read and tried the instructions in this string, and I did find a couple of boxes to "check" once I got to the end, but that didn't change anything.

Thoughts?  Very, very grateful for any ideas.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to run Lightroom 6 on Catalina is by doing an operating system upgrade where Lightroom 6 is already installed. That's why it worked on your old laptop.

>>>If so, how do I make sure I actually can reinstall LR on my new laptop?

Regrettably, there is no way of installing Lightroom 6 on a new laptop running Catalina. Your only option is to subscribe to the Adobe Cloud and install the latest version of Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks--this was driving me crazy. If I do as you suggest and subscribe to
Adobe Cloud, can I import/migrate the LR data/catalogues from my old laptop
into the newly-downloaded LR on my new laptop? I really appreciate your
time.

Don

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0