Highlighted

Lightroom 6 and Catalina - 64-bit installer needed

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it looks Lightroom 6 will not work anymore on Catalina.

However my understanding is that the application itself is already 64-bit but the licensing components and installers are 32-bit.

Are you planning to provide (free or paid) 64-bit version of such components? Will be a small effort on your side but will allow many users to continue using your great product on the new system.

Many Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 6 and Catalina - 64-bit installer needed

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it looks Lightroom 6 will not work anymore on Catalina.

However my understanding is that the application itself is already 64-bit but the licensing components and installers are 32-bit.

Are you planning to provide (free or paid) 64-bit version of such components? Will be a small effort on your side but will allow many users to continue using your great product on the new system.

Many Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 09, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

Part of the joy of Mac is getting all new apps each upgrade. And this time Apple have really forced it (much more to it than the 32/64 bit thing, which is the only part most of the press understands).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 works on Mac OS Catalina and also Lightroom CC 2.4.1

they said already that 32 Bit Applications aren't supported anymore not on windows and also not on Mac OS 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep...unfortunately the licence I paid is for the 6 and I don't want to move to the subscription model of the 8. btw the 6 is itself 64-bit, only licensing components and installer are 32-bit. Should not be a big effort porting them to 64.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but Adobe really want you to go to the subscription model. So they are absolutely not going to do work which keeps you from spending money with them, I think. Not everyone got on the bus, but the bus kept going.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This means that i lost my money and my work, and that I cannot have any confidence in Adobe because it does not guarantee in any way my investment (of money and time). 

open-source communities are more responsible

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i know, i also hate the abo model of every software today

but you can also go back to Mac OS Mojave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, but this don't change the question: Adobe has the duty to protect its clients, for example providing a paid 64-bit version. I paid my copy.
For a Company like Adobe this behavior is simple ridiculous.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 2
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we're talking responsible, I think it is responsible to check whether your apps will run before leaping into a major new system just a few days old. You can run your old apps forever if you can resist new systems and new computers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure that you know that "new system" means many security and protection in a on-line world more insecure day by day. So, update the OS is a must, not a pleasure. I'm just asking for a way to continue to use the software that I paid and don't throw away my work. They are Adobe, a big company... and I'm a client, or ex client.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to keep using your system is, as it has always been, to pay. That is your only choice if you must have the new system (and security is a compelling reason). I don't know where the idea that Adobe have responsibility once you choose not to upgrade comes from, it is not how any software company works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying you won't spend money with Adobe - something that you'd already decided not to do., because you don't want to pay for new software. Not sure where Adobe's loss is, here. (I don't work for them).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say that I expect from Adobe a paid upgrade of Lightroom 6 or any other solution that gives values to the money that I gave to Adobe for the Lightroom license. That's all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upgrade path is Creative Cloud. Not everyone likes that, but it's the only game in Adobe's town.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be new here. If you want to use old software, stay on an old operating system. Or use one of the open source alternatives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, Photoshop 1.0.7 will not run under any version  OS X. 😉

Look guys, no one forced you to upgrade the OS or not upgrade your older software to run with a newer OS. You want to use an old, unsupported version of LR, don't upgrade the OS. You want the newer OS, upgrade your Adobe software. And all the other software products that can't run on the newer OS. Simple. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 3
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, Lightroom 6 is already a 64bit app... in fact it required a Mac with Multicore Intel processor with 64bit support.
The Installer and some AAM registration sw are 32bit. I'm talking about few lines of code.

I think that Adobe could spend a little bit of its time to compile these little programs... no?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 0
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't think so. How would it benefit them to do work for people who are determined not to spend money, and refuse to believe them when they say they won't do this? Especially as people who DID believe them HAVE invested money -- they might upset a lot of people. People who DO spend money.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer again is NO. It isn't a supported product any longer; no matter how many lines of code you assume without knowing, it would take.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ridiculous...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2019 0
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 might be a 64-bit app, but it's DLLs are not being updated. So even if a new installer were provided it's probable that the program itself wouldn't keep up with all the changes that are being made in the operating systems. Lightroom 6 is dead as far as updates are concerned. If you want to keep using it you'll just have to stay with an operating system that will let you do it. It's as simple as that. Sort of on a different note, but Windows 10 must be Kept pretty much up to date in order to run Lightroom Classic. If the Windows 10 version you are running is too old Lightroom Classic will not function anymore even if it is up to date. My point is that a new installer for Lightroom 6 wouldn't necessarily solve the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about a Mac, no DLLs. I will reset my iMac and will create a partition for each macOS, Mojave and Catalina.

Thanks Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2019 0
Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, you are a Mac user. It's the same issue. Catalina users are finding issues with even the current version of Lightroom. I haven't followed the problem that closely because I'm a Windows user. You can complain on this forum all you want, but it won't accomplish a lot. If you're following on a computer, on the main page where you see a list of all discussions, there is a link on the right-hand side where you can provide product feedback. That link will take you to the forum where the developers monitor much more closely, and you can express your feelings on that forum to see if you can persuade Adobe to do something. There isn't anything anyone can do on this forum. We are all just users like yourself who sort of understand the workings of Adobe, but don't have any say or connection with the company.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2019 0
KR Seals LATEST
Advocate ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dlafrentz  - Your issue is different than the one in this thread. Start a new thread/question in this forum.

Kenneth Seals

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0