• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 and compatibility with Nikon Z5 raw files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To begin with: I'm still using Lightroom 6.... Recently I bought a new Nikon Z5 camera and after some test shots I've tried to import the raw files into LR as I used to do with my Nikon D750 raw files. Unfortunately the format of the new Nikon Z5 raw files won't be recognized by LR 6.

I think this is a known issue but is it already resolved and if so, would Lightroom 6 also be eligible to participate on an update to get rid of that?

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

LR6 will never be updated, it was obsoleted several years ago, and so will never be able to read the Z5's proprietary raw files. You can use the free Adobe DNG Converter, which will read and convert those raw files to the DNG format (whilst still maintaining the raw data), which will be read by LR6. Or you can upgrade to Lr Classic which will always be updated to maintain compatibilty with all new cameras, but requires a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 will never be updated, it was obsoleted several years ago, and so will never be able to read the Z5's proprietary raw files. You can use the free Adobe DNG Converter, which will read and convert those raw files to the DNG format (whilst still maintaining the raw data), which will be read by LR6. Or you can upgrade to Lr Classic which will always be updated to maintain compatibilty with all new cameras, but requires a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's bad. Using DNG Converter would  unfortunately add an additional step to my workflow, but anyway thanks a lot for your quick answer, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@waldemars64940333  , you can upgrade to the newest version, which is Lightroom Classic 10.1, and then you will not have this extra step in your workflow, plus many new useful features AND Photoshop at no extra charge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's true, but with the drawback of additional costs. If I understood it correctly it is based on a subscription model, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you don't get something for nothing from any company. As stated above, you do get lots of useful features when you upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Adobe dng converter. It showed files from z5 had been converted to dng & I could see pics, but Lightroom 6 still wouldn't import files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed converter & converted z5 files to ding & still wouldn't import into Lightroom 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which DNG format you have used? You must use a DNG format that is compatible with LR6

Check your preferences in the DNG converter

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version is compatible with Lightroom 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it.  Works now. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? Which version of the OS?

Which exact version of LR 6?

What happens when you try to import the dng files?

What is the exact wording of the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got it to work. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines