• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 / CC2015 - Facial Recognition Terribly Slow, not using all of CPU or GPU, still keeps going when paused.

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually a couple of issue but wondering if others are experiencing it and worked through it.

I am using a Dual Xeon CPU 3.2 ghz Mac Pro, Catalog on SSD, Images files on Mirrored Pair, Dedicated GPU (max I can install in my version of Mac Pro) and hardware acceleration enabled in Lightroom.

I watched the Lightroom 6 Facial Recognition tutorial which leaves out a lot of the bulk editing and says basically let it loose on your whole catalog.. NOT recommended.

I started out with a couple small portrait galleries that identified a couple hundred total people to seed facial recognition so it didn't suggest everyone is the first person I confirmed (which it will do otherwise). I have also optimized my catalog multiple times.

I have encountered the following serious performance issues and bugs with Facial Recognition.:

• Lightroom Facial Recognition goes to a ridiculous crawl after about 2000 images to be confirmed. (i.e. 2000-2300 in a couple hours, 800-1200 in the next 12 hours)
  • Lightroom becomes largely unresponsive after having a fair number of images to be confirmed, even after pausing Address and Facial Recognition. So even selecting 4 rows of images can take 5 minutes with several long pauses.
  • Once I select and click confirm it takes up to 2 minutes to update the "to be confirmed" list again.
  • When I click on an individual at the top of the page, pause facial recognition and address lookup it still continues to "Look for similar faces" [BUG!!!!!!!!] even though all I want to do is just confirm some individuals more quickly in bulk with the images already identified.. not continue to look for more as a work around for the painfully slow responsiveness of the module.

The odd part is that with all of the performance issues Lightroom will not use more than 20-30% of my two Xeon CPUs, barely touches my GPU (<10% CPU, 30% memory), my and no more than 35% of my memory. Computer Temps are also barely above startup temperatures and 15-25 degrees cooler than when I run other applications which will consume my entire CPU and memory if I let it. I have explored Lightroom's settings but seen nothing further I can configure to speed it all up.  I have also attempted the operation on images on the SSD, my drobo (known to be slow), an independent fast disk I have, and a pair of raided disks and have the same issues.

I will also note that all of my other applications seem to continue to operate just fine.. the slowness seems to be contained to the Lightroom application itself.

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]

Operating system: Mac OS 10 Version: 10.10 [3]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.2 GHz

Built-in memory: 18,432.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 18,432.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 5,537.5 MB (30.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 32,240.6 MB

Memory cache size: 4,342.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

Displays: 1) 2048x1152

Graphics Processor Info:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3 NVIDIA-10.0.31 310.90.10.05b12

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 3.30

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: /Users/DryClean/Documents/Lightroom_Catalog/MyCat_LR6.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/DryClean/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Anyone have any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After trying everything, jncludibg a brand new Mac Pro with all the trimmings to optimize for Lightroom, I now upload my photos on Google and search for them there. It is a thousand times better at facial recognition, plus you can search for things like "Irene at the beach", "Tokyo" or "brown puppies" and find them in minutes. 

Adobe should consider doing a j.v. with Google in facial recognition and search. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines