Exit

Lightroom 6 crashes at start

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

Good afternoon,

I've been using Lightroom 6 on my system for quite some time and now for several days it's been crashing every time I start it (right after the splash screen). I have reinstalled it, but didn't change anything.

Do you have any idea about how to continue?

Here is the key data on my PC:

Operating system: Win10 Home (64Bit)

Processor: Ryzor5 3600X

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Super

If you have any questions or suggestions, kindly let me know. I am very happy for any hint, that might fix the issue.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Adobe allowed its license of the third-party face-recognition module used in LR 6 to lapse in December, and now LR 6 often crashes during startup and later.  See this bug report for partial workarounds:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-version-6-crashes-in-the-facial-recognition-module/5fd510567288d52d004c42d6

Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report, and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will ma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Lightroom 6 on your Windows 10 computer crashes right after the start.

If you can't launch Lightroom, or Lightroom crashes before you can clear the Use Graphics Processor check box, here's how to manually disable this preference:

Navigate to one of the following:

• (macOS) /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.lightroomCC.plist
  • (Windows) C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Preferences\Lightroom CC Preferences.agprefs
  • Open the file Lightroom CC Preferences.agprefs (Windows) / com.adobe.lightroomCC.plist (macOS) in a text editor.
  • Change the line useAutoBahn = true to useAutoBahn = false.
  • Save and close the file Lightroom CC Preferences.agprefs (Windows) / com.adobe.lightroomCC.plist (macOS).

Relaunch Lightroom.

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i am using LR6 on my Mac (MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6). I have the same problem - LR6 crashes right after the splash screen since yesterday. It started to crash down after an update to high sierra, but still I was able to restart LR6 and no work has been damaged. But since yesterday I am not even able to start LR. I tried to follow navigations above - but I can´t find com.adobe.lightroomCC. plist on my mac. Is there any other solution i can try?

Thanx for your reply

Nadja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting preferences won't allow LR 6 to run correctly. See this previous post for why LR 6 won't run:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-6-crashes-at-start/m-p/11800198#M222511

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you provided for bug fixes no longer works. Please update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions Akash, but found that the useAutoBahn was already set to "false", so I changed it to "true"!

Now it seems to load without crashing.  So thanks for pointing me to the problem are , but ......?

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe allowed its license of the third-party face-recognition module used in LR 6 to lapse in December, and now LR 6 often crashes during startup and later.  See this bug report for partial workarounds:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-version-6-crashes-i...

Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report, and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the face information folder C: \ Program Files \ Adobe \ Adobe Lightroom \ CIT solved the issue on my side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  This worked for me unlike the rest of the suggestions on this page!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This worked for me unlike the rest of the suggestions on this page!" 

To elucidate for those reading in linear rather than threaded view: What worked for you was "Removing the face information folder C: \ Program Files \ Adobe \ Adobe Lightroom \ CIT".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug report link no longer works 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@aprile10126350  

The old 'Feedback' forum was shutdown for that link.

If you are looking for forum posts referring to "Face Detection crashing Lightroom 6 (Perpetual) "

See the "-Manually" Chapter for resetting Preferences in this link-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

And mention of the failings of Lr6 (Perpetual) here-

https://petapixel.com/2020/12/24/adobe-lightroom-v6-is-falling-apart/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

I have tried the above solutions but none of them have worked for me. It is still crashing every time I start it (right after the splash screen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've on Windows, you have may have a version earlier than 6.14 -- many people have reported the recently started crashing on startup.  Download and install 6.14 following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/update-lightroom-6-0-to-6-14/m-p/108193...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John - it works :-). I used this link to download version 6.14. https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-updates-links-windows.html#lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me as well. Thanks so much. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link provided no longer works. Please update as I'm having this issue now with Lightroom 6 crashing at startup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted multiple links here. Are you referring to this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-6-crashes-at-start/m-p/11800198#M222511

That thread is in the old feedback forum, and apparently it wasn't copied here last year in the migration (many weren't). There may be similar threads here, but I can't find them right now on my phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm referring to the bug report linked within that link for the workaround. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines