Highlighted

Lightroom 6 install to new computer, catalog file location, catalog file backup, catalog file backup

New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This April the hard drive from my old computer (Macbook Pro) became faulty and doesn’t start the laptop, however when placed on a caddy I can access its contents as an external device from my new laptop (newer Macbook pro) both on OS El Capitan, and displays the error message: “OSX can’t repair the disk. you can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to file on disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.”
– LR6 is now installed on my new computer from a Time machine backup (dated February 2020) and it prompts for sign in required, followed by Photoshop Lightroom Trial with options to either to ‘Licence this software’ or ‘start trial’.
– When I access my old hard drive in the caddy and click on the LR6 application, it prompts for same options as above.

1-In the process I’ve realised my latest LR6 catalog backup was August 2019! Can I install LR6 with the original catalog file or do I need a recent backup of it?

2-If I need a backup, how can I proceed to create a more recent backup of my catalog in this current setup?

3- How can i know the exact location of my catalog file without opening Lightroom as I currently can’t access it?

4- Which steps shall i take now? For example Shall i enter the serial number now or do the backup first?

many thanks

Debs

TOPICS
Download and install, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 6 install to new computer, catalog file location, catalog file backup, catalog file backup

New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This April the hard drive from my old computer (Macbook Pro) became faulty and doesn’t start the laptop, however when placed on a caddy I can access its contents as an external device from my new laptop (newer Macbook pro) both on OS El Capitan, and displays the error message: “OSX can’t repair the disk. you can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to file on disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.”
– LR6 is now installed on my new computer from a Time machine backup (dated February 2020) and it prompts for sign in required, followed by Photoshop Lightroom Trial with options to either to ‘Licence this software’ or ‘start trial’.
– When I access my old hard drive in the caddy and click on the LR6 application, it prompts for same options as above.

1-In the process I’ve realised my latest LR6 catalog backup was August 2019! Can I install LR6 with the original catalog file or do I need a recent backup of it?

2-If I need a backup, how can I proceed to create a more recent backup of my catalog in this current setup?

3- How can i know the exact location of my catalog file without opening Lightroom as I currently can’t access it?

4- Which steps shall i take now? For example Shall i enter the serial number now or do the backup first?

many thanks

Debs

TOPICS
Download and install, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 is now installed on my new computer from a Time machine backup (dated February 2020) and it prompts for sign in required, followed by Photoshop Lightroom Trial with options to either to ‘Licence this software’ or ‘start trial’.

Click on "license this software" and then enter your LR 6 serial number.

If I need a backup, how can I proceed to create a more recent backup of my catalog in this current setup?

You don't need a backup for this activity, use the current catalog

How can i know the exact location of my catalog file without opening Lightroom as I currently can’t access it?

You search for it using your operating system. It's name ends with .LRCAT

Which steps shall i take now? For example Shall i enter the serial number now or do the backup first?

I don't think it matters.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 1
Debs3 LATEST
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your prompt support.

LR6 standalone has now been activated on my new laptop (computer 3), however an error message says “ the serial number is already in use by the maximum allowed computers. You need to deactivate another computer within 30days to use this product”

-computer 1: we have dragged  the Lightroom application to the trash (step recommended by Adobe) and all file locations from Lightroom were deleted.

-computer 2: is my old broken laptop with its hardrive in a caddy. The one I have use the catalog for my computer 3.

1. How can I verify Lightroom is successfully deactivated from computer 1?

2. How can I deactivate it from computer 2?

Again many thanks, I was so happy to finally see my Lightroom and now I feel the pressure of the 30days!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0