• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 with a Canon Pro 9000 Mark ll printer managing colors

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom 6 with a Canon Pro 9000 Mark ll printer. I would like to print using ICC profiles color management. There is a note "when selecting a custom profile,remember to turn off color management in the print dialog. black point Compensator will be used for this print'. My qusestion is WHERE do I find this "turn off color" part and how do I recognize it?  I have gone to"PRINT"  but what do I look for.       Please HELP!

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

You can specify whether Lightroom or the printer driver handles color management during printing. If you want to use a custom printer color profile created for a specific printer and paper combination, Lightroom Classic handles the color management. Otherwise, the printer manages it. If Draft Mode Printing is enabled, the printer automatically handles color management.

Note:

• Custom printer color profiles are usually created using special devices and software that generate the profile files. If printer color profiles are not installed on your computer or if Lightroom Classic cannot locate them, Managed By Printer and Other are the only options available in the Profile area of the Print Job panel.

• In the Color Management area of the Print Job panel, choose one of the following from the Profile pop-up menu:

To use a printer color profile to convert the image before sending it to the printer, choose a specific RGB profile listed in the menu.

Note:

• If you choose a custom printer color profile in Lightroom Classic, make sure color management is turned off in the printer driver software. Otherwise, your photos will be color-converted twice, and the colors might not print as you expect. See your printer’s documentation for instructions on turning off color management in the driver software. Lightroom Classic does not recognize CMYK printer profiles.

• To send the image data to the printer driver without first converting the image according to a profile, choose Managed By Printer.

• To select printer profiles to appear in the Profile pop-up menu, choose Other and then select the color profiles in the Choose Profiles dialog box.

Note:

• Generally, you’ll choose this option if no profiles are listed in the Profile pop-up menu, or if the profile you want isn’t listed. Lightroom Classic tries to find custom print profiles on your computer. If it’s unable to locate any profiles, choose Managed By Printer and let the printer driver handle the print color managing.

If you specify a profile, choose a rendering intent to specify how colors are converted from the image’s color space to the printer’s color space:

Perceptual

Perceptual rendering tries to preserve the visual relationship between colors. Colors that are in-gamut may change as out-of-gamut colors are shifted to reproducible colors. Perceptual rendering is a good choice when your image has many out-of gamut colors.

Relative

Relative rendering preserves all in-gamut colors and shifts out-of gamut colors to the closest reproducible color. The Relative option preserves more of the original color and is a good choice when you have few out-of-gamut colors.

Note:

The printer’s color space will generally be smaller then the image’s color space, often resulting in colors that can’t be reproduced. The rendering intent you choose attempts to compensate for these out-of-gamut colors.

(Optional) To achieve colors in print that more closely resemble the bright and saturated look of onscreen colors in Lightroom Classic, select Print Adjustment. Then, drag the Brightness and Contrast sliders.

Note:

Dragging the Brightness and Contrast sliders produces tone curve adjustments. These adjustments do not preview onscreen. It may take some experimentation to determine what settings work best for your individual photos and your specific printer.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To turn off the color management, you must go to the printer dialog box on the bottom right of the print module. This dialog box is in fact the driver interface, and is different depending on the manufacturer. Here is the exemple with my Canon printer, your's might be somewhat similar (sorry, it's in french. I'll try to translate and put the fench label in parenthesis) :

1. Click on Printer at the bottom right of the LR print module

2. Select Properties (Propriétés)

Annotation 2019-12-05 113545.jpg

3. In the Main (Principal) tab, tick Manual (Manuel) and click on Define (Définir)

Annotation 2019-12-05 114127.jpg

4. In the Corresponding (Correspondance) tab set Color correction (Correction des couleurs) to None (Aucun) and validate by clicking on the button OK.

Annotation 2019-12-05 114214.jpg

Close the printer setup box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most cases it should be fully automatic as soon as you select an print profile in the print panel but you sometimes have to double check if you get bad color results. The problem is that in every printer out there and also depending on whether you use windows or Mac OS X, the location of the switch is in a different location. Even with the same printer vendor, they put the switch in a different spot for different printers and driver versions so you have to hunt around. I would guess the location is very similar to where Lauca shows but no guarantee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got the correct instructions for disabling color management under Windows in the driver. For Mac, it should be taken care of automatically where you would normally access the "ColorSync" area of the print driver. You should see in "Color Matching" this ColorSync radio button selected and grayed out. You're set. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Canon Pixma Pro 100, and it's not automatic. I always had to double check the printer driver to ensure that color management is set the way I want it. I have created a few printing presets that help expedite things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim, my experience on my iMac and my Canon Pixma 9000 Pro Mk ii is as Andrew advises it automatically turns off color management in the printer driver when a specific profile is chosen in Lightroom. However the print driver stopped working after I updated the OS to 14.x Mohave. There was no updated driver provided by Canon and I was advised by Canon that there were no plans to create one. My printer is now useless on my iMac. Ten years service RIP.

My experience with windows is as described in another post in this thread. Apple driver is completely different.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines