Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have just recently upgraded my computer and have also been able to download LR6 onto my new computer through my original serial number.

Question - how do I import or find all my photos on my old hard drive, which is accessable / connected to the new computer. Need to bring them into the new LR6 catalogue - Y/N?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Doug

PS Sadly my last forum post asking for assistance was highjacked by some crook who tried to rip me off saying I would have to buy LR6 again - but at a discount price. I quickly twigged to this con artist. Nothing is safe is it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is NO importing. None, nada, zero zip zilch.

DO NOT IMPORT PHOTOS.

The instructions for moving to a new computer are here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/ and https://www.lightroomqueen.com/moving-lightroom-free-ebook/

No matter how badly you want to import photos, do not do it. Follow the instructions to the letter. Do not impose your own thoughts or modifcations onto the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Many thanks for your advice. I will try and give it a go, but as I mentioned to someone else on the forum I must have 40 or 50 files / folders from the old lightroom, I mean which ones do I need, and what about all the rest of them?

Thanks again

Cheers

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

I think you're stuck in the language being used here: "Importing" is bringing new images into your lightroom catalog. As has been stated, do not do that.

"Moving" is another thing altogether. And that "Moving" has to take place within LR so that LR knows where things are.

I like to keep all of my images inside one (1) folder so that it's easy to keep track of them, to "move" them as necessary, and to avoid a cituation in the future such as what you crrently have.

The good thing about LR-C is that it doesn't care where the images are. But you should. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

OK - I have made some progress although not sure if its right or not. I can now see all my photos in LR6 which is a start, although all the folders have ? against them. So - I need to point LR at the parent folder right, and ask it to "find missing folder" - the problem is the drop down menu on the parent folder doesnt have that option. All the individual folders have but the parent folder does not, and it doesnt actually have a "?" against it. I think I have transferred across a backup copy of my catalogue? maybe thats the problem?

Even when I try to find the missing folder on just one folder I cant lolol ? I dont know where the folder is lol??

My son might be able to assist, he has used LR for many years although not at all lately.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Importing.

Read that again- No Importing!

You need the Catalog that you used previously to be available, and your photos on the 'old' hard-drive (now connected to the 'new' computer.)

You double-click the Catalog to 'open' it, you then will need to re-link the Folders (that contain the photos) to the catalog. Re-linking restores the Catalog's knowledge of 'where' your photos are now located.

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link)

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

If your catalog is entirely empty, then you have started a new catalog (the wrong thing to do!). Close it and find the working catalog you were using on the 'old' computer.

Edit: Geeez that dj_paige is fast- beat me again! 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the jerk who tried to take advantage of you (selling a new copy of LR-6).

You do not say what your new OS is and what version but please be aware that LR-6 is long out of date and is no longer supported. That means that while it might seem to be working fine, not everything might be working fine. If there are any problems where some features do not see to work at all, there's not much that can be done about it from us (who do not work for Adobe).

Otherwise, all of the above advice on how to move your catalog and images is just what you need, good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Many thanks for the comments.

OK - I have to relink the folders with my photos in to enable the new LR6 to find them -  thats fair enough. That said - when I look at my LR6 folders on the old drive there must be about 40 or 50 different files or folders all LR6 associated. Some backups, presets, catalogues etc etc.

Which folders do I need and what about all the rest of them?

Thanks again

Cheers

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll give it a go. Its just that I must have about 40 or 50 LR6 related  files / folders on the old drive. Which ones do I need and what happens to all the rest?

Anyway I'll study furthur and give it a go.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Doug 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I look at my LR6 folders on the old drive there must be about 40 or 50 different files or folders all LR6 associated. Some backups, presets, catalogues etc etc.

Which folders do I need and what about all the rest of them?

1) You need ONE  master 'Lightroom' file!  And that file is your CATALOG file. The file that ends with the filetype suffix of .LRCAT.  This is the catalog file that has all your previous work done to photos.

(If you used more than one catalog- you will need them all!  Complications!!)

2) You need ALL your FOLDERS of photos-  In the exact same folder structure as they were before. (on the drive you have transferred- good! they are already there. They just will need re-linking, NOT importing!)

3) You will also need your Presets & Templates folders- Copied and Pasted from old 'system' folder location to the new computer in the same folder location-

See this link - FILE LOCATIONS 

Read the chapter- 'The default location of most of Lightroom’s Presets and Templates'

4) Catalog Backups you should keep somewhere- safe on another hard-drive, for emergencies only, should a catalog become corrupt.

Move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your help

Cheers

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link I gave mentions all of the things you will need to move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines