• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6X slower to open a DNG than a PSD of the same file

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the upside of the Stay at Home order is time to figure how really bad somethings are, and by that I mean Lightroom/Camera RAW.  A couple of months ago I noticed that it seemed to be taking longer to open DNG files, so today I tested opening a DNG and a PSD of the same file. The PSD opening in under 5 seconds the the DNG take over 31 seconds.  WTH!

I'm running

• Lightroom Classic 9.2
  • Camera Raw 12.2
  • Photoshop 21.1.1
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • 64 Gigs RAM
  • SSD drives (C:, running drive, and Cache drive are all M.2 SSDs)

I've attached/linked a real time video of the two different files opening to Photoshop. For this video

• Lightroom is open
  • Photoshop is open
  • I open the DNG file (13 Megs) - after it opens 32 seconds, I close it and
  • Open the PSD file (327 Megs)  - opens in under 5 seconds

The PSD files is 25x larger than the DNG, so why does it take 6x longer to open the DNG file?

https://vimeo.com/404671466

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Aha! of course a backup utility could do this too if it tries to backup and locks one of the files that is needed for Photoshop to read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Followup answer.  It wasn't LRC that was the problem... it was PS.   When I White listed LRC, my load times were the same, when I White Listed PS, I came back to blazing speed.  🙂
Marv

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jao,

Actually it is the Ransomware aspect of Acronis True Image.  It looks for suspicious file activity and apparently doesn't completely block it, but clearly slows it down.  Can't say that I really understand why slower is the same as blocking.  Anyway when I White Listed Photoshop (not Lightroom) the DNG files open as expected.  What really threw me off was the fact that PSD files in the same procedure opened 6x faster, clearly has to do with processing raw files for consumption in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup answer.  It wasn't LRC that was the problem... it was PS.   When I White listed LRC, my load times were the same, when I White Listed PS, I came back to blazing speed.  🙂
Marv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the Lightroom preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html )

Second if that doesn't help, try a new empty catalog file, import just the dng and run it from there. 

Third, if that doesn't help, create a new user on your machine and run Lightroom and see if that changes times.

I seem to remember (I am not a windows user) that having the indexing service turned on on windows can really slow down Lightroom startup times and other operations such as the import dialog, so something to try too. A quick google found this: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/simple-ways-to-increase-your-computers-performace-tur... No clue whether that would help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines