• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 7.2 is a spinning wheel fest on my Mac Pro (2013) with every mouse movement.

Participant ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Info:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

Graphics: AMD FirePro D700x2 6GBx2

Displays:

BenQ SW320:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

PA246:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Lightroom 7.1 System Info (reinstated since I had no luck with 7.2)

Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13.3 [17D47]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,031.3 MB (6.1%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 6,772.4 MB

Memory cache size: 229.8MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Camera Raw virtual memory: 947MB / 16383MB (5%)

Camera Raw real memory: 953MB / 32768MB (2%)

Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 1920x1200

Graphics Processor Info:

Metal: AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D700

After upgrading to LR 7.2, all of the folders in my catalog panel were grayed out. When I clicked on a folder, it showed zero photos. I uninstalled and reinstalled LR 7.2 twice. First time saving preferences and second time not saving preferences. On second install I pointed to my catalog on an external drive (my normal setup) and selected test integrity of catalog...assuming there might have been an issue with the catalog that bringing LR 7.2 to a crawl. Test ran maybe an hour and then completed loading LR 7.2. Although this time the folders were "normal", EVERY move of the mouse resulted in a spinning wheel. It literally took almost 7 minutes to get to the "Quit" button.

I've reinstalled LR 7.1. It's takes maybe 10 seconds from the time I click the icon till everything loads up and is ready for usage. I was looking forward to testing out the improved performance for importing and exporting files from my Canon 1Dx Mark II. My Lightroom workflow is to download files into a working directory and a backup directory on a backup drive. I make a few adjustments and then export files out to system drive as jpegs to be later uploaded for client review.  Importing is rather fast (IIMO) while converting to jpg and exporting takes a longer amount of time.

I have looked through the other discussion and have not seen anyone reporting LR 7.2 issues similar to mine. I can't speak on performance improvements since I literally can not run LR 7.2. LR 7.1 is/has been working fine for me. If LR 7.2 can/will improve my performance, I'd love to experience it.

Are there any recommendations/requirements for updating/installing LR 7.2 that I have missed. Never been an issue before.

Thanks.

Model Name: Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too that's why I had to no real trouble turning it off.  I do kind of like the metadata...for various reasons.  From what I see when I watch the CPU, GPU & RAM when issues come up is that they all seem to peg out (not hard disk).  My little system does seem to be memory challenged.  LR has always worked a little better (or I perceive it that way) when I get my memory use down as low as possible.  So not saving the XMP automatically is just something that, in my mind, could challenge the CPU and memory sources.  I did see a very significant performance increase when I increased RAM from 6-8GB a few versions ago.

I'm willing to try anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VSV  wrote

I can pull up Task Manager and watch what is going on when this happens and see that RAM is pegged....CPU is pegged.

The CPU speed is 2Ghz which is within the realm of good according to minimum requirements.  I have qualified some of my information above with the statements that I am not a "power LR user" and my machine is not a grand powerhouse but it should meet or exceed the minimum requirements.

Clearly, you need a computer that exceeds the minimum requirements posted by Adobe.

BTW years ago I increased my RAM from 6GB to 8GB and there was a significant performance enhancement!

Yes, as I understand things, going from 6 to 8GB ram should improve performance. Going beyond 8GB probably won't do much.These slowdown issues are not driven by memory, it is not the bottleneck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige

NOT SLOW totally UNUSABLE after SOFTWARE upgrade to ver. 7.2!  I was not able to pull even one image up and adjust exposure without having the system sit and spin for a period of time that required a forced exit....i.e. hard reboot or "end task" via task manager.

If you look at the top of this cluster of posts (the original question at the very top) you will immediately discern that myself and some other users were having problems with LR ver. 7.2 specifically using the same machines that we used prior to the update (Mac & Windows). We were met with the generic response to update drivers and uncheck GPU acceleration. Which might help some users, don't know.  But it is an answer that we have all grown tired of hearing because we have done this to no avail many times.

An Adobe Team Member then asked us to supply systems information.  We did.  Some others have had some success getting 7.2 to perform as I now have (to some degree) .  I posted what I did  for informational reasons only to assist Adobe, (and users if they get something out of it) with the hopes of a resolution.  I then had some success after performing the steps as outlined in the itemized list I posted above (most came from the Adobe's published Optimization Page).

The only reason I'm replying to your comments is that your comments are allowing Adobe to dismiss my issues (and a lot of other users problems) with the last two releases as purely our inability to obtain new machines in order to follow Adobe's own advice to keep software updated. If a release is going to require an upgrade to the existing hardware / software which the current software is working on then Adobe needs to stipulate "Caution don't update to our new version unless you BUY a new machine" &  "We will support our older version for all users that are unable to UPGRADE their machines".  Having to go out and purchase a new computer to allow me to run the new version of LR, for which I purchased is ludicrous.

I updated in October to 7.0 from 6.x  NO PROBLEMS.  I updated to ver. 7.1 in December PROBLEMS!  I updated to 7.2 in February Software UNUSABLE for even basic edits of one picture.  Version 7.2 was advertised as beneficial to users with 12GB RAM or greater (granted it stated for export and import...).  So there was some form of RAM related algorithm changes made. 

My question to Adobe, has been, and still remains....Can I roll back to ver. 6 with support !? I am not going to purchase the latest greatest machine for every piece of software I chose to purchase each time they improve their software and release an update. 

Adobe hopefully will find something in the hundreds of posts out there, complete with symptoms and systems information to see what they can do to make new releases work.

Purchasing a new computer to run the latest update is not a solution to a SOFTWARE release unless it is a precondition of that update.

I'm not asking for lightning fast speed and great significant improvements with every update (yet that would really be nice ).  I'm asking that the update to WORK PERIOD & perform at least as well as it did prior to that release.  Or support previous releases with updates and allow people to continue enjoying there experience.  Really don't think that is too much to ask.  Hopefully Adobe can figure out what the incompatibility problems are and correct them (or advise with workarounds...nothing yet.... just users telling me to go buy a new computer).  Or as the statistician above claims the problems are so insignificant to (him) and that vast majority of users that it is not worth Adobe's time to fix them.  I hope a quality supplier would not think that way, and I don't think that is Adobe's marketing philosophy either.  One customer having problems is worth resolving.....it's just good business.  Because there are other competitors that do provide & supply quality products and support them out there.  I like LR. it is a quality product, and it is what I learned on. I want to continue using it (without running out tomorrow and buying a new computer!).  It is what my colleagues use and I can get support from them when I need it.  

dj_paige​axmelissarios1​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VSV  wrote

My question to Adobe, has been, and still remains....Can I roll back to ver. 6 with support !? I am not going to purchase the latest greatest machine for every piece of software I chose to purchase each time they improve their software and release an update.

You can download LR 6 from Adobe at: Download Photoshop Lightroom​. First download the 6.0 installer and then download and run the 6.14 update.

Unless your computer is really ancient (I run it on a 2012 MBP and it works perfectly fine!) LR 7.2 should work normally by the way. Something is wrong if it doesn't but that is hard to figure out without sitting down behind the computer itself. Usual culprit for slow operation is virus scanners that try to scan the Lightroom catalog every time you do a single edit. This is probably the no. 1 cause of problems that I have seen helping people in real life. As soon as you exclude the catalog and preview folders from the scanner, it works normally. Saw a virus scanner mentioned in one of your posts as giving trouble on your machine so that is something to try. These things are sometimes worse than the problems they try to prevent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jao!!!  Thank youaxmelissarios1​ Thank you dj_paige​

Jao.......

I was hoping someone could point to one of the things I "tried" to get things working again and explain what that item was and WHY it made things better.  I think you just did.  Something in that list of activities allowed LR 7.2 to work as it "almost" did at ver. 7.0. (Maybe a little slower.... but then again that might just be my perception, due to the aggravations I've had for the past few months.  It very well might be that it works as well or better than it did with 7.0)

I did indeed end the Webroot SecureAnywhere application among the other steps I took.  Something in that list did allow LR to again WORK as it did.  I've always had Webroot & Mcafee running protecting on my system. There have been other instances where the two seemed to have negative consequences with other software problems.  I just wasn't putting two and two together!  Thank you again!

I was going on a premise that anything I could do to maximize the amount of RAM I could possibly have available when entering LR would make things better. The premise was wrong the action I took was right for the wrong reasons.  I think you have hit the tack on the head.  As dg_paige has been saying I was approaching the RAM usage by LR incorrectly and it shouldn't have mattered.

With your insight I have reconsidered the RAM usage issue and it is not RAM or what was using RAM it is more likely exactly what you said an Antivirus scanner conflict. That is what it acts like to that something is interrupting the writing of information as soon as it takes place.  I can see the LR icon in my tray open a second instance of LR behind that icon then go away.  My stopping Webroot was probably the single thing that allowed 7.2 to run again.

I now have something to go on and will bark up that tree !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL​

Confirmed....!!! and Thank you.  I turned Mcafee real time scanning off, and ended Webroot application all together before entering LR 7.2.  (please note that the Mcafee firewall was still up & and I was not accessing the internet)

NO Problems with LR other than those I would normally attribute to my boarder line clock speed and older GPU / CPU....all is good and comparable to or better than that of ver. 6 or 7.0.  AND I get to use all the new features that were included with 7.1!!!

When my LR session was concluded I turned real time scanning back on and also re-enabled Webroot.  Quick scan and off we go...

Thank you all

Victor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had nothing but issues since upgrading yesterday. I've had to force quit four times in the five hours I've TRIED to work, but gotten nothing done except for frustration. I took me 20ish minutes to export one photo (one 3MB file). When I tried to export the same photo again, it took 8 minutes for the overwrite pop-up message to appear. The Develop module is completely unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone advise how to roll back to 7.1 pls? (I'm on Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the right of the button where you clicked Upgrade in the Adobe Creative Cloud app, is a small down ("v")  arrow. Click there. It will give you the option to uninstall 7.2. Above uninstall is "Other Versions". There you will find a selection of previous versions of LR. If you're happy with your "preferences" from 7.1 before upgrade, choose "Keep Preferences" when you uninstall 7.2.

I'm on a Mac Pro. Check out my last post in this thread. FINALLY got LR 7.2 up and running but it's a process.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanna chime in, also having issues on Mac Pro. Posted about it here:

Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 | High Sierra | Mac Pro 6,1 - Suddenly unable to import. Extremely Slow per...

Hi Adobe Team,

Been using Adobe products for almost 20 years now and don't normally have issues but am at a bit of a loss here.

Recently (last week or so), after either High Sierra or LR update, my LR has become unusable.

Importing fails. It's takes an extremely long time for the image selection window to even preview images. As well as the import process itself freezing the app. No photos/file actually import.

Library view renders images with artifacts and takes an extremely long time to load new previews.

Develop tab takes an extremely long time to autosync adjustments and render. It took 5 hours to autosync 52 images adjustments.

Exporting/Publishing images freezes or takes and extremely long time as well.

Steps taken to try and fix:

Reset Preferences

Disabled GPU

Disabled all background processes such as Sync/Face/Address

Added Prefer OpenGL config file

Reinstalled Lightroom

Reverted to previous version (7.1)

Repaired disk permissions

Made a new catalog

Unfortunately none seem to work. Would really really love some help resolving this issue. Thank you!!

System Info:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.2 [ 1156743 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13.3 [17D102]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 16

Processor speed: 3.0 GHz

Built-in memory: 65,536.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 65,536.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 545.2 MB (0.8%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 5,632.2 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 894

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Camera Raw virtual memory: 0MB / 32767MB (0%)

Camera Raw real memory: 0MB / 65536MB (0%)

Displays: 1) 2560x1440

Graphics Processor Info:

Metal: AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D700

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: /Volumes/G-SPEED Shuttle XL TB3/Lightroom Catalog/2015/2015-2.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/cameronrad/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in

3) Canon Tether Plugin

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

7) Pixieset

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512

AudioDeviceName: USB AUDIO    DAC

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 48000

Build: Uninitialized

CoreImage: true

GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0

GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8

GL_BLUE_BITS: 8

GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24

GL_GREEN_BITS: 8

GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384

GL_RED_BITS: 8

GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D700 OpenGL Engine

GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20

GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8

GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.

GL_VERSION: 2.1 ATI-1.60.26

OGLEnabled: true

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolled back my Windows version from 7.2 to 7.1 and now it works again.  Essentially non-functional on 7.2, huge delays in iterating folder tree, showing thumbnails (even of a folder with only 4 images in it). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i searched my issue and found this thread!  oh my!  so much info I can't figure out what worked, if anything?  I am having the same issue... have a iMac (late 2012) with plenty of hard drive space and 8gb RAM and every third click I make in Lightroom I get the spinning rainbow wheel.  I can't figure out how to fix this and I have tons of sessions to edit and can't do so in a timely manner.  Did anyone find a good solution, or at least helpful?  I am still running 7.1, haven't upgraded to 7.2... not sure if I should. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should install the latest update of Lightroom (it's actual version 7.4) and check if this solve your issue.

You can also try to deactivate the GPU support. This also solved a lot of problems.

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue was resolved by reformatting. Sorry for not updating. It had nothing to do with Adobe. More to do with Apple.

When I had performed the upgrade to High Sierra it had formatted my SSD incorrectly, partitioning my boot volume incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes i think after upgrading to High Sierra, my whole computer has been acting up.  I'm too afraid to reformat though, i am not very technical at that and don't you have to erase your drive to do that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines