Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 8.0 does not work with nVidia but did 2 weeks ago

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm running Lightroom 7 and 8 on a new Dell XPS 15 9650 for about 3 months now without any problems on the internal nvidia GTX 1050Ti.

Since a view days i have big troubles in the develop module.

Sometimes the sliders have no effect

Sometimes the bottom film strip is complete white ore cut into small stripes

Sometimes the complete screen is white

I have to restart Lightroom then and when it starts it is not running on the nvidia card but on the internal intel card.

The only way to work around this is to use the nvidia card without hardware acceleration or the intel card (with or without acceleration). So the problem is clear.

The nvidia card with acceleration seems to be the problem but it worked for many weeks without any trouble. The card is supported and the driver is is resent.

I also tried older driver versions, even the original provided by dell but no success.

I think the new Lightroom 8 has a problem and i didn't recognised it because i did not much develop after i did the update.

I hope someone with equal hardware can check this problem and can tell me which driver version will work.

Any help is welcome

Thanx

Marcus

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this problem show up just after upgrading to v8 of LR?

Are you sure that your GPU is not going bad?

Other members, Why would LR see the based Intel graphics chip set? Even if the better GPU is not going to be used for acceleration. Shouldn't the NVIDA show up, but not checked off for acceleration use???

FOLLOW-UP

Went into my LR and unchecked my GPU, relaunched L. Looked at System Information, still lists the proper GPU, and yes Use Graphics Processor is off in preferences.

Above striked out because I appear to be reading information not posted by the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stated:

"I have to restart Lightroom then and when it starts it is not running on the nvidia card but on the internal intel card."

That is  what I may be confused on. Are you saying that when you relaunch LR with GPU off, and you look at System Information, the Intel Chip Set is listed instead of the NVIDIA GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello david36166309

I'm not really sure if it is there since the update to 8.0 because i hat not much to do in LR after the update but I'm sure that there was definitely no problem before the update.

I dont' know if my GPU is going bad. I can run some OpenGL and CUDA progs to test it.

It is a little more complicated on this laptop. There is the intel gfx which is integrated in the chipset and a dedicated nvidia. Both are capable to serve hardware acceleration to LR or PS. The nvidia output is kind of bypassed through the intel system to the monitor i think.

Normally the intel card is used by default. Bute there is a tool provided by the nvidia driver in which i can choose which binary has to run on which gfx system. This tool is filled with many programs by nvidia so any software which can take a benefit from the nvidia gfx will start on this card. LR is one of them. I run with this setting since i have this laptop without any problems. There is al little taskbar-symbol which indicates if the nvidia is used by which binary. And it idicates that LR uses the nvidia.

Now when LR shows the wired behaviour and i restart it will not start on the nvidia but on the intel. Even if its configured to run on the nvidia in the driver tool. I have to do a reboot to get it run on the nvidia again.

The only way to wor with LR now for me is the following:

- Set the nvidia tool to use the intel gfx system. The LR can use even acceleration on the intel system

- Set the nvidia tool to use the nvidia gfx system. But i have to deactivate acceleration in LR to have a stable LR

I hope this describes it a bit. I wish my English would be better 🙂

Bye

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. After the last update, Lightroom CC and Lightroom Cloud don't work. When I try to import a picture, it blocks. At work I have a HP workstation and at home an Asus. Never had this problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

javiern20367015​

Thanks for the info. Could you please tell us which NVidia Device you have and which driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I did some tests and can now say that there is no problem with adobe software. The problems are there even if i user capture-one or an opengl testtool on the nvidia card. I also did a complete removal of both drivers and installed the original dell ons and the problem persists.

And it looks like that the problem is getting worse. Some days ago it was possible to work some minutes in LR and now one slider move i enough to crash the program or even the whole pc.

I will do a recovery of the OS today to check if windows is the problem but I'm pretty sure now to have a hardware problem on this nice new pc 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Javiern

Your issue sounds different than the original post. I suggest you search the forum for the same problem and start a new question if you don't find your answer.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines