Highlighted

Lightroom 9.1 - Slow Start

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start Lightroom, it takes about two minutes before I can begin working in the application. If I even so much as click a menu item or picture, the Lightroom app starts again, so that two sessions are now trying to run. I have cancel Lightroom and start over. 

If I wait the two or three minutes, the thumbnails will sharpen (focus), and I know I can then begin work. I only have 3800 pictures, so I don't know why it should take so long before I can start using Lightroom.

I usually build my previews in Standard, with no Smart Preview. I keep my Catalogue and files on an SSD, connected to my laptop via USB 3.0. (That way, I can attach the SSD to the Desktop PC, and continue working from that platform using the same Catalogue.) 

Any ideas on how / why Lightroom takes so long to generate the Thumbnails, or any comments on my configuration? Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Per Berntsen | Adobe Community Professional

As David has mentioned above, the LogiOptions plugin could be the culprit.

I had a similar problem, and disabling the plugin fixed it.

Go to File > Plugin manager to disable it.

LR-plugin-manager.png

Topics

Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 9.1 - Slow Start

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start Lightroom, it takes about two minutes before I can begin working in the application. If I even so much as click a menu item or picture, the Lightroom app starts again, so that two sessions are now trying to run. I have cancel Lightroom and start over. 

If I wait the two or three minutes, the thumbnails will sharpen (focus), and I know I can then begin work. I only have 3800 pictures, so I don't know why it should take so long before I can start using Lightroom.

I usually build my previews in Standard, with no Smart Preview. I keep my Catalogue and files on an SSD, connected to my laptop via USB 3.0. (That way, I can attach the SSD to the Desktop PC, and continue working from that platform using the same Catalogue.) 

Any ideas on how / why Lightroom takes so long to generate the Thumbnails, or any comments on my configuration? Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Per Berntsen | Adobe Community Professional

LR-plugin-manager.png

Topics

Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd behaviour such as you describe can sometimes be corrected by resetting the Lightroom prefernce file. Instructions for doing so can be found in Method 1 at this document https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I reset the preferences (Win), but that did not seem to help. 

I found more info and a possible workaround. Once I start the LR application, the Library starts to load the thumbnails but then seems to stall. If I then click on the Windows taskbar, which changes the "focus" from LR to Windows and then mouse away from the taskbar, the "Reading Preferences" splash screen comes up and the rest of the thumbnails are loaded. (You can see the focus is removed from LR when you click on the Windows taskbar, because the LR window becomes greyed out. Once you move back into LR, the LR window is solid and that's when the splash screen pops up.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it seems to be an issue with loading preferences...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your system info as lightroom classic reports it. In lightroom click on Help, then system info, then copy. paste that in a reply, not interested in data after plug-in info. Mostly interested in OS, LRC version, Display info, GPU info, and any odd plugins

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 9.1 [ 201911291132-64cf80b4 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 1.9 GHz
Built-in memory: 20293.7 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 20293.7 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1282.1 MB (6.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1376.7 MB
GDI objects count: 598
USER objects count: 1848
Process handles count: 1993
Memory cache size: 233.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.1 [ 351 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 258MB / 10146MB (2%)
Camera Raw real memory: 259MB / 20293MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce MX230 (26.21.14.4166)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: E:\Adobe\Lightroom\Lightroom-2019\Lightroom-2019.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\nukec\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) LogiOptions
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing in your sys info looks wrong.

Nothing to slow loading.

One item to note, and this probably is not the cause of your performance issue. But may be causing some odd, shall I say, annoying behavor is in the plug-ins

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) LogiOptions
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

'That LogiOptions one. A known buggy plugin. You do not need it to use your Logitech Mouse or Keyboard, unless you are assigning functions to mouse buttons, or the keyboard wheel (one one or two models). It is not your Mouse or Keyboard driver.

Typically you may get an error when batch deleating photos in LRC.

You may want to disable it.

Be aware during Logitech software updates, it used to get re-enabled.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It was the Logitech plugin that was causing the issue with loading preferences. I confirmed that by enabling and disabling the plugin and observing the results. If one wants to keep the plugin, the workaround (for me) was to alt-tab to another application, then alt-tab back to LR. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

As you are not running 4K, consider disabling use of Graphics Processor acceleration, might solve nothing, might speed things up, probably will not slow things down. If enabled try with it disabled. Remember to exit then restart LRC.

And when you disable it, play with an photo applying lots of adjustment brushes to make sure things do not slow down.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, again. I tried Off, Custom, and Auto settings - they all seem to not affect the initialization of the application. 

Once I click "Open" for LR, I immediately alt-tab to another open program (e.g. File Explorer), then alt-tab right back to LR Classic. This seems to always work - the initialization is completes in about 20 seconds. If I don't do that, the initialization hangs. 

Seems like there's something wrong with how LR is loading System Preferences. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR-plugin-manager.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - the Logitech plugin was the culprit. Disabling the plugin seems the best option, rather than alt-tabbing between two programs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the LigiOptions Plugin appears to be the cause of LR Class to start up very slowly and behave erratically as it does for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Then it seems to work normally. I tried a number of potential solutions:

1) Reset my preferences

2) Disabled my graphics card acceleration

3) Clearded my thumbnail cache

None of these solution worked. I then disabled the LogiOptions plugin and the problem disappeared. I am running LR Classic 9.2.1 on Win 10, 2004. I recently replaced my Logitech mouse and keyboard, and installed their associated SW and new drivers. It appears that this also silently added the LogiOptions plugin to LR. Why and what exactly it does is not obvious. I presume it has something to so with mouse button reassignments if one uses that Logitech option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines