Highlighted

Lightroom 9.2.1 photos will not open in Photoshop 21.1.2 - macOS Catalina (10.15.4)

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic (9.2.1) and Photoshop2020 (21.1.2) on a MacBook Pro running the most current version of Catalina (10.15.4). When I click Edit in>Edit in Photoshop2020 in Lightroom, the photo does not open in Photoshop. If the link is active in Lightroom it appears to work; however, the link is often grayed out and I have to restart Lightroom to get an active, but not working, link. Photos are .DNG files. I've tried to send with Photoshop open and closed and have the same result. Other than this issue, both programs appear to be operating properly. Any suggestions? Thanks, Len

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 9.2.1 photos will not open in Photoshop 21.1.2 - macOS Catalina (10.15.4)

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic (9.2.1) and Photoshop2020 (21.1.2) on a MacBook Pro running the most current version of Catalina (10.15.4). When I click Edit in>Edit in Photoshop2020 in Lightroom, the photo does not open in Photoshop. If the link is active in Lightroom it appears to work; however, the link is often grayed out and I have to restart Lightroom to get an active, but not working, link. Photos are .DNG files. I've tried to send with Photoshop open and closed and have the same result. Other than this issue, both programs appear to be operating properly. Any suggestions? Thanks, Len

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Len,

That sounds like a strange issue, as the images are not going into Photoshop, could you try launching Lightroom first and then Photoshop, then try sending images to Photoshop? Let us know if that works.

Also, can you post a screenshot of System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Files and Folders? It should look like this: 

RackMultipart20200320-130979-d2yfwg-Untitled_inline.png

You may also try resetting the preferences for both Lightroom and Photoshop and see if it helps.

Lightroom: 
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Photoshop: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the sequence recommended and it did not work. Attached is the screen shot you requested. I noticed that Pictures is not a folder that is mentioned. I opened the folder for changes (I am the sole administrator), but the + and - boxes were still grayed out. I don't know how to add Pictures, if that is the issue, if the +/- boxes are still grayed out? 

TahoeVista_0-1587736651839.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, scroll up to Photos, if you keep anything in Photos, add Lightroom Classic.

But I see you keep them in user folder Pictures, so that does not apply. System folder Photos gets special treatment. That is why I asked.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Files and Folders will refer to types of drives and storage locations, not actual folders, have an SD card, removable media will show up when you first attemt that via LRC, an external gard drive? Same, etc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David. I very much appreciate the suggestion. I took a look at the document, but I'm not sure what this program is supposed to do in relation to my problem. It is certainly possible that I have some, but not many, duplicate files. However, with respect to the file that I am trying to open from Lightroom, it has not been duplicated. (I have more than 25% of my harddrive available.) If a particular file was duplicated, e.g., in Finder and Photos, what difference would that make when I am attempting to open a specifiall named photo from Lighroom???  BTW, I looked at Photos on the left panel within Security. It was already checked for Lightroom Classic and it worked immediately when I checked a file within Photos to be edited by Photoshop2020. I do copy some files into Photos for sharing purposes, but Photos would not have a .dng file. They are all .jpeg when eventually opened and stored in Photos. Most would be renamed as well. Is there anything else you could think of? Thanks again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are your photos stored? What drive, what folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are stored on the MacBook Pro under Pictures (Finder). Each shoot has its own folder. Pictures in the Finder folder and Lightroom have the same name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to own up to my error here for the benefit of anyone who may find this thread in the future. After doing what Sahil suggested, resetting my preferences, I still could not open files from Lightroom. However, I could open directly into Photoshop from everywhere else! I right clicked on a photo and clicked on >Show in Finder. I got the message that it could not be found. I had deleted the .DNG files after editing but the previews were still in LR. I located .DNG files that I confirmed were still in Finder and, yes, it opened without a problem. I'm sorry for taking up everyone's time. Hopefully, this will help someone in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0