• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 9.3 constantly hanging, running slow

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to get some advice about my current situation. I'm not the savviest computer person, but literate enough, I hope, to have this conversation... I am a non-professional photographer with over 60k photos/videos in my LR catalog. My computer:

Apple desktop Mac (2019, retina 5K) running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

3.7 GHz  6-core Intel Core i5

64GB memory

Radeon Pro 580X 8GB graphics card

Lightroom Classic version 9.3 (60k+ photos all stored locally)

There is nothing currently plugged into the Mac except a eero router

Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse

**Graphics processor accelerator option in LR settings is turned off (made a HUGE difference for a day or so)

I tried to contact Adobe support via live chat but after a very long hour the support rep told me I need to update my GPU because of my large library/catalog. I understand that GPUs come built in to the Mac and can't be upgraded without returning it to Apple. Is this what is normal for such a new Mac to need such an upgrade for basic Lightroom use? I hardly do any work in the Development module. These days I'm mostly organizing, renaming, mapping and keywording. I didn't think my library was that large comepared to a professional's catalog. I've also had a couple of random LR crashes recently (sent reports to Adobe) but I'm not sure they're related. 

Does anyone have any advice or a suggestion to try? Am I just trying to do too much with too little? I'd hate to give up and have to find a LR replacement as its only been a few years that I've had it and its taken a long time to learn and get used to it. But I can't keep going like this- its horribly inefficient sitting and waiting for LR to catch up after every action, even with just 1 or 2 photos at a time. I can't get anything done! I timed it the other day and switching between Maps and Library module took 2minutes. That's just not acceptable but I don't know where to go to find answers.

I appreciate any light you can shead on any of this.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

A couple of things to try

1. Reset the preference file: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
  2. Optimize the catalog: File->Optimize Catalog
  3. Delete the preview cache, Lightroom will rebuild it http://www.lightroomfanatic.com/tutorials/advanced/why-and-how-to-clear-your-lightroom-cache/
  4. Make sure your anti-virus is not scanning/checking the photos and preview cache

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join the club. I spent 4 hours online with adobe having remote access and they still can't shed light on the issue or resolve it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I'm not the only one...makes me feel a little better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say what actions cause this problem in Lightroom. Please tell us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything and everything: deleting files, renaming, key wording, drag & drop on locations in Map, switching between modules, switching loop to grid views. Until now, I found it useful to turn LR off and back on if loading times got too frequent/long especially if it had been left on for over a day. Doing this would make things snappy again. But now turning it off doesn't help. If I have an hour to spend working on my photos, probably 20min (cumulatively) is spent waiting for files to load. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things to try

1. Reset the preference file: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
  2. Optimize the catalog: File->Optimize Catalog
  3. Delete the preview cache, Lightroom will rebuild it http://www.lightroomfanatic.com/tutorials/advanced/why-and-how-to-clear-your-lightroom-cache/
  4. Make sure your anti-virus is not scanning/checking the photos and preview cache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I made the changes suggested and I do see major and sustained improvement over several days. Its still not as responsive as I would like but its back to baseline. I had high expectations of Adobe & Lightroom when I moved to it 3+ years ago. I believed it to be the gold standard of digital photo management and editing but I think I need to manage my expectations.

I still don't understand why deleting Preview files helps with this, though. I thought their purpose is to help the program run and load images faster. If anyone can explain this or point to a reference article, I am interested.

Thank you very much for the speedy and smart solutions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines