Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 9 and Camera Raw 12 do not read xmp from other computers

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody!

I just bought a new laptop and I updated ACR to version 12 and Lightroom to version 9 

That's the problem: 

If I modify some raw files on my workstation when I try to open those raws on my laptop, it does not read the xmp file (Same external SSD, same folder). I got the same problem in the opposite way, when I modify some raws on my laptop and then I try to continue modifying them on my workstation, the xmp is always there but the adjustments just are not there!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In lightroom, if the images are already in the catalog, you have to read metadata from files to get the updated settings. Edits in Lightroom are not stored in xmp files. They are stored in the catalog and unless you explicitly read from the xmp files you will not get any edits to transfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jao_vdL

I am not using the same catalog, I created a new one for the laptop, I do explicit to read xmp but nothing changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saving the metadata to file on one computer and then reading from file on the other? Are you sure the catalogs are pointing to the same files on each computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all my files into the External SSD.

When I need to work on my photos, I connect the SSD to the computer I want to be working on and I work on the files directly from the external SSD, so yes, both catalogs (but even camera raw) point the same directory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were the XMP files created by LR or some other image editing program?

LR and ACR will only read XMP files created by either LR or ACR. 

Are there any Exclamation marks or arrows on your images?

Like this.

Filmstrip Badges hidden.PNG

Metadata Changed Icon.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The xmp are created by LR or ACR, everyone, I have nomarks on the images, when I select "read metadata" it reads it, but there are no changes on my pictures

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not even when you go into Develop mode? Lightroom can be really slow when updating previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you made a new Catalog on the laptop and imported images from the external drive, you will have lost sight of a lot of the metadata which is seen in the workstation's Catalog. For example, Collection membership and any Virtual Copies. For future reference, to make a copy of the Catalog works absolutely fine and does preserve all the info the same.

It is worth checking what kind of an Import you may have made into the laptop's Catalog (or the workstation's, come to that). If this was (knowingly or not) a Copy type, which goes into the user's local "Pictures" folder by default IIRC, then your Catalog may not be referring to the external drive at all. "Show in Explorer / Finder" will definitively clarify this. As will the volume name (drive) under which these photos are sitting, within the Folders panel, so far as each Catalog is concerned.

Also it's worth checking that the automatic writing of XMP out to file, has been enabled for the workstation's Catalog. That option is disabled, as the default on initial installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Attach one of the suspect photos and its .xmp sidecar to your reply here.  Then we can see if other LR installations can read the .xmp, which will suggest where the problem might lie.

To attach a photo here: After posting the reply, click More > Edit Reply at the bottom of the reply. Then click the little paperclip icon in the lower-left corner of the reply box. Then click Apply Edits. (If you insert a photo rather than attach it, the stupid forum software will reduce its resolution and hide important details.)

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines