Highlighted

Lightroom accessing hard drive

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Samsung T5 had drive on my MacBook. The computer can access the photos but Lightroom does not. Please help,  Larry

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Just Shoot Me | Adobe Community Professional

The Apple Mac iPhotos Library folder is a Package and needs to be Expanded "Show Package Contents" and then look for the Masters folder. Copy that Masters folder out of the package and paste it to the ROOT of your external drive

Then open LR and Import and point to that Masters folder.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Installation, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom accessing hard drive

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Samsung T5 had drive on my MacBook. The computer can access the photos but Lightroom does not. Please help,  Larry

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Just Shoot Me | Adobe Community Professional

The Apple Mac iPhotos Library folder is a Package and needs to be Expanded "Show Package Contents" and then look for the Masters folder. Copy that Masters folder out of the package and paste it to the ROOT of your external drive

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Installation, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only time LR Classic can see and access a drive is IF YOU Imported images from that drive/folders into the LR Catalog file. And even then it can only see the Folders on that drive that you have imported images from.

It can Not see any folder/folders on any drive that you have Not imported images from.

LR Classic is Not a File Manager program. 

So you need to click the Import button, Select that T5 external, Select the Add option at the top and import the photos that are on that T5 drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Lightroom function are you talking about with the word "access"?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugged in the SDHD, dropped Photos library onto SDHD, waited 12 min for it to dwnld, opened it up and saw photos on drive, opened LR CC, clicked import, selected SD HD and window said "no photos found.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the photos in folders/subfolders arrangement? You have to click on the specific folder/subfolder, or you have to click on "Include SubFolders"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my photos are in Mac's iPhotos library.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see below

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina?

Outside of Lightroom, bring up your MACOS System Preferences, select Security and Privacy, select the Privacy tab, scroll down to Photos, add Lightroom Classic if missing, scroll down to Files and Folders, for Lightroom Classic, and while you are at it, for Photoshop, make sure all boxes are checked. For some people, scroll one up to Full Disk Access, and add Lightroom Classic (not absolute)

8E7818C0-5F02-435C-9C29-92982CDF885A.png

see: https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to Photos there is no Lr Classic to ad -- the right window is blank except for "Apps that have requested access to your photos will apear here". In files and folders Lr and Creative Cloud are there but under each is a grayed out  - Full Disk Access ... saw this earlier after I had done this routine. No Photoshop there to select. My page looks nothing like yours with check boxes. Went up to Full Disk Access and see Lr & CC > select them then click ad and that takes me to another area of system preferences with Favorites, iCloud and Locations on the left. I clicked Pictures and Lr & Lr library show up with a grayed out Photos library under them. So I clicked my T5 SD drive and a grayed out Photos library shows up there too. Running OS Catalina 10.15.5 which might make a difference -- I don't know?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember to unlock that panel. described in link.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voila, just thrilled. Thanks JSM!
One small problem, though. I had all of the photos in folders by events.
Now I am seeing all the photos arranged by... I'm not sure. By number, I
believe. When I finally found the Master Folder I opened it and the photos
were in some kind of order by 0, 1, 2, 3 all the way up to 9 and then A, B,
up to I'm not sure what number. Will there be a way to collect them in
folders as I had before? Hope so... At least by date. Let me know please. I
know, typical American... never satisfied and always wanting more!
Thanks again for your help. Larry

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing as I suggested above does not included any Edits and or organization you had done in the iPhotos program. What you have now are the Original image files as they were when you brought them into that iPhotos program.

If you want Copies of your images that will included any edits you may have made then you will need to Export them from the iPhotos program (or as it is called now Photos) to Separate New files with at least the extension changed (from a RAW format to JPG) or with some type of addition to the actual File Name so they will appear as new, Separate, files from the actual origional ones. You can then import those into the LR catalog. Please not that when importing files that are already on your hard drive it is best to use the Add option at the top of the import dialog Or IF YOU want to Move them from there original location to some other folder structure then select Move and chose the new location in the Destination section.

Sorting in LR Classic is best doen using the Capture Time Sort: option.

Organizing is doen with Keywords and Collections.

Sorting out specific images by date, camera model, lens used and the like is done in the Filter bar at the top of the center section of the Library module brought up by the \  key keyboard shortcut.

But after saying all of that I do not know if exporting a copy of your original files will retain whatever sorting, organizing (Albums, Events, whatever), you might have done. 99.999999999% of the time all that is Program Specific and does not transfer over to some other, Different, program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was true. I had all of the photos on the SSD now but no semblance of order. All of the masters. I went back into photos, went to my albums then highlighted an album, then file > export and followed the directions in help on how to export and all of the details to follow and "There ya go"! Seeing that this worked by going into LR and testing it out, I went back to Disk Utility and erased the SSD to make it clean then started downloading/exporting my albums individually to my SSD!!! Now the photos have continuity. Am very proud of this accomplishment and want to thank all who had a hand in making this possible. Thank you all from a novice to all you hackers/smartypants out there. I will return here when, not if, another crisis arises.  Larry

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 0
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Larry. Glad you got it sorted out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0