• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom and Cinestyle

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated my camera to use Cinestyle by technicolor and have had awesome results in the camera. However when i up load the ( low contrast) photos into light room it changes them automatically to a hight contrasted picture. I hate this feature is there any way around it. I want my pictures to be imported as the were shot and i want to edit the contrast back into it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cinestyle isn't supposed to be used on stills, it's a LUT curve for video files. There's no reason to use it if you're shooting RAW, as not only isn't the curve applied to the RAW file, but you have the bit depth in the image which makes applying it pointless in the first place.

Shooting RAW stills, your camera LCD will show the image with your chosen picture style applied but Lightroom will show you the image in it's "true" RAW state. Same thing if you apply a B+W picture style and shoot RAW - LR will show you the colored image, as the color image is still there despite what your LCD shows.

If you shoot JPEG, the picture style is burned into the data - so a Cinestyle image will look "cinestyle" and a B+W image can't be re-colored. DSLRs effectively shoot video by converting frames into JPEGs, which is why applying picture styles to video is important to give us the headroom in post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for such a quick reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reply stinks.  Why?? Because if a photographer goes through the trouble to shoot B&W. Then leave it alone.

I know the color data is there...and I can reveal it if ii want. 

But more importantly..when I shoot my stills in cine style ...then please Lightroom...why are you screwing with them?

My nice flat curve I shot in on purpose is now being forced to look like I shot in it jpg? 

Excuse me...but I though this program was for photographers.

Don't mess with my art....leave that up to ME. 

I want a simple way to STOP LIGHTROOM FROM CHANGING THE WAY I SHOOT.

Someone please tell me how to keep Lightroom from changing the pice after they are imported into the timeline.

I don't want it. Don't need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhotoJoe2001 wrote:

This reply stinks.  Why?? Because if a photographer goes through the trouble to shoot B&W. Then leave it alone.

I know the color data is there...and I can reveal it if ii want. 

But more importantly..when I shoot my stills in cine style ...then please Lightroom...why are you screwing with them?

My nice flat curve I shot in on purpose is now being forced to look like I shot in it jpg? 

Excuse me...but I though this program was for photographers.

Don't mess with my art....leave that up to ME. 

I want a simple way to STOP LIGHTROOM FROM CHANGING THE WAY I SHOOT.

Someone please tell me how to keep Lightroom from changing the pice after they are imported into the timeline.

I don't want it. Don't need it.

If you are that adamant then I think you should look for a different program.  Lightroom has NEVER read those in-camera adjustments that you mentioned.  It's not the way Lightroom works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does an artist judge his work on the basis of a 2 or 3 inch LCD panel?

Still, I think there is a case for LR recognising that a raw file's embedded JPEG is monochrome and applying a B&W treatment upon import. Even better, it should evaluate the raw colour image versus the mono JPEG and replicate any coloured lens filter style.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no..i like lightroom...except for when it ruins my photo's.

tell me how to make it stop screwing with my pictures.  this shouldnt be hard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are trying to use Lightroom as a tool that it was not designed to be. LR is a program for photographers to process the raw data captured by digital still cameras. Yes it has functionality that allows it to also work with rendered files like tiff and jpeg but its main purpose is processing raw files. Lightroom has its own unique processes and profiles developed for each supported camera and does not use the profiles and other in camera settings and tastes that can be applied by the camera firmware/software. They have their own chef that is provining their own rendition of the raw data, and provide lots of tools to allow you to make your own creative adjustments.

Why would you pay a lot of money for Adobe software that rendered the same output that is provided by your camera. Each camera manufacturer provides their own style and rendition as did the various film manufacturers of slide and negative film like Kodak, Agfa etc. No software provides you with true reality, just what they percieve to be a realistic and pleasing capture.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhotoJoe2001: We do not tolerate abusive messages in these forums and have deleted your last reply. Keep it polite or your account will be suspended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were to shoot RAW+JPEG, would the JPEG's have the cinstyle?  Thanks

DF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave I was just wondering; do you have any knowledge that pretains to if when shooting RAW stills under the CINESTYLE 'picture style' on the 5dIII, if my Raw images (used in Photoshop) will have less image quality or more grain vs. shooting on one of Canon's proprietary built-in image styles, i.e. Standard or Neutral (for stills).  Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, only just seen your question. I run film production company and we do still occasionally shoot with 5dmk3's all of which are set to picturestyle cinestyle. Lots of people have already offered good explanations about what it does essentially allowing you to capture the maximum possible detail and data so you can make the most of your footage in post. My reason for posting is that i and quite a few pro-photographers i've worked with use cinestyle picture style when shooting stills in RAW, for the same reasons one would use it for video. I can confirm it does apply the same effects to a RAW stills file. It flattens out the file which gives you more usable detail in shadows, etc which you can pull back by applying a simple S curve in adobe RAW. I get stunning results compared to any other picture style. I also do nearly all of my editing in adobe raw and rarely use photoshop.:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you able to get this to work? I just tried a test with three different picture styles (CineStyle, VisionTech and BeautyShot) and all three opened in camera raw looking identical with the Canon standard picture style. As far as I know from the many articles I've been reading for the past two days the picture style does not get saved into the raw data. If you know of some way to make this work, please, do tell.

As for Dave Merchant's comment stating "There's no reason to use it if you're shooting RAW, as not only isn't the curve applied to the RAW file, but you have the bit depth in the image which makes applying it pointless in the first place." I disagree that there is no reason. Photoshop allows you to apply LUT's using the Color Lookup adjustment layer. Technicolor has a companion LUT for their picture style. So for someone that is going for a very streamlined workflow of shooting flat with CineStyle, applying the LUT and calling it a day, this would be very handy. I personally would love the ability to do all of my retouching on an image with a particular picture style applied to it and then add the LUT at the end for the color grade to get whatever look I'm trying to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I found that if you use Canon's Digital Photo Professional The RAW file does in fact store the picture style. You can then transfer that image directly to photoshop and a tiff version will be created for you with the picture style applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solution.!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure !!!! How can I so stupid ???? Tks a lot !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this topic is a bit old, but I found myself in an odd Lightroom/Cinestyle situation and thought it might come in handy for someone else.

I hired a contractor to take photos and video with a 5D mk II. I asked for .CR2 photos and video using the Cinestyle profile. Unfortunately, the photos were taken as jpegs. Because the profile was set for Cinestyle the images came out Cinestyle flat. I tried editing in Lightroom and in Photoshop attempting to apply the S-Curve in curves, but nothing gave me a natural look. Therefore, I devised a workflow to apply the Cinestyle LUT to the image and work in Lightroom nondestructively.

This is going to seem roundabout, but it was the only way I could get the look I wanted from the images.

In order for this to work, you will need to convert the default "S-curve_for_CineStyle.mga" to .cube format using After Effects and Red Giant's free "LUT Buddy". (http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/magic-bullet-lut-buddy/) Once installed, Import the .mga LUT and export the .cube. (I would post the .cube file, but Technicolor is no longer offering the LUT for free).

Once you have .cube LUT, here's what gave me the best results:

1. Import JPEGS into Lightroom
  2. From Lightroom "Edit-in Photoshop" [Ctrl-E]
  3. Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments (This will create a 16-bit, Pro Photo TIFF)
  4. In Photoshop, apply a "Color Lookup" adjustment layer.
  5. In the Properties panel, click "Load 3D LUT" then browse to the .cube LUT.
  6. Save the layered file (you may want to use ZIP compression for the file and layers to reduce size)
  7. The new image should be imported back into Lightroom
  8. Now perform Lightroom edits. The image should be more responsive with the nondestructive LUT applied.

Hopefully you'll never be in this situation, but if you are I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Friend, I know It has much time since it was whitten, however I am exactly in this situation.

I used Cinestyle (tecnocolor) to take pictures, unfortunatly, and now I need to correct it, once the CS Lightroom correct automactly my photos taken using cinestyle profile.

I would be grateful for you help. I have made everything you said, but I cannot find the archieve ".cube LUT" to correct this image on Photoshop.

Do you know where can I download it or a similar Flat LUT profile to correct my high contrasted images?

Thank you a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first reply says it all, in short terms. Thanks Dave.

In long terms:
Every single image a camera captures comes in a raw state (not RAW file type) through it's sensor, and then the processor inside the camera compresses the image into a file that your computer can read.

When you tell the camera to take JPEG pictures, the camera's processor compresses and converts that chunk of data captured by the sensor into an image. It "prints" the picture profile into your image, either being Canon's Standard, Neutral, your custom edited profile or Cinestyle.

Recording a movie goes through the same steps. It captures the image and compresses it to H.264 QT format.

You told the camera to do that when you chose the picture profile. JPEG is a compressed file, it's not meant to be messed with afterwards. PhotoJoe2001, this is what you want: JPEG pictures. Don't get angry with other people because you don't understand how your equipment works.

Well, back to our long explanation. When you are taking pictures in RAW format, it's a whole different story. The file that the processor generates has no compression. It makes a lot of sense to call that file "RAW".
This file type has a lot more info than the JPEG, and more importantly, more info than your viewfinder can display. That's also why the file is so large.

So, you say to your camera: "Take RAW images".

Well, then your camera thinks: "OK, but I've gotta display this image in my viewfinder, so my user can view it. What should I display? Oh, I should use the picture profile previously set by my user".
Then you should think: "Attaboy!"

That's because you WANT to see that look. Remember, it's just a look, the camera interprets that huge chunk of data (now it's a RAW file) so that the image LOOKS the way you want in it's viewfinder.

The thing is, picture profiles are installed on your camera, not on your computer. When you open that same RAW in Lightroom, this guy thinks: "I'll display this image using my default setup", which, by the way, looks like (not exactly) the Neutral picture profile your camera has.

Conclusion:
If you are a photographer who want to mess with your photo afterwards, take RAW images. If you want the final image to look exactly as you see on your viewfinder, take JPEGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the old, "its just a look" rethoric.

If someone wishes to see a similar startingpoint for postproduction than he saw on his camerascreen is not thtat difficult to understand.

And doesnt mean to tell those people they dont understand their Equipment. Especially not so many times.The strange behaviour in Forums....

How i understand my equipment so far:

Everything i see on my monitor, when i import new photos into lightroom is just another rendered Preview (*.jpg).

So my Computer does exactly the same as the cameras processor. It "compresses and converts that chunk of data captured by the sensor into an image." But not exactly right?

No. Because Lightroom has different interpreters for that chunk of  data and sadly none of them comes close to the Cinestyle-"Look" (which is only installed in cam). You can find the variety of interpreters directly in the development module, on top of the basic settings.

Its Called "Profiles" and even has a profiles browser, where you can set different interpretations for your chunk of data. (while all other develop module parameters remain at zero).

So in my world, i can have different starting points for my post production process.

Question is: why is there no profile, thats flat like the cinestyle?

Or even better: is there any? And where can i get it? And how to install it into LR?

Would be nice to hear from somebody who found a workflow solution to that problem/ idea.

cheers to nearly 10 year old "problem".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Question is: Why is there no profile, that's flat like the Cinestyle?"

Adobe does provide camera-matching profiles for many of style settings of the more popular cameras (e.g. Landscape, Portrait, etc.) and starting in LR 9.2, it can automatically select the correct profile when you import a raw.

But Adobe doesn't provide matching profiles for all cameras and styles. They prioritize based on the popularity of the camera and style and how much cooperation they recieve from the manufacturer. (E.g. currently some newer Canons don't have camera-matching profiles, supposedly because Adobe was waiting for help from Canon, according to a now-deleted post from an Adobe employee.)

You could post a feature request in the official feedback forum, where Adobe wants all feature requests:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Product developers read everything posted there, but rarely participate here, which is primarily a user-to-user forum.  

There have been a few posts over the years about profile support for Cinestyle and other video log formats, but to date no one has posted a feature request.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX.

first: sorry, i dont understand which forum is read by Adobe Team and which not. By your reply i´m guessing this one is of the radar but which thread of this community is?

And then -more generally- i really wonder.

Fact1: The picture-centered-coder-world does not stop at adobe forums.

Fact 2: Every video-forum or community or even blogposts about postprocessing video/film swear me into the shooting-flat-profile-logic, because its supposed to give me the most leeway for post processing.

But it seems to me that in the photo-world not many are thinking in post processing terms, although the most sucessful contemporary pictures actually are heavily post processed. 

So what am i missing? Is processing a still picture so much different than processing moving pictures?

Why has this workflow not become the go to standard in professional photography?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"i dont understand which forum is read by Adobe Team and which not. By your reply i´m guessing this one is of the radar but which thread of this community is?"

This thread is in Lightroom Classic > Discussions, which you can determine by looking at the top of the page:

johnrellis_0-1639973775210.png

The forums were recently reorganized, and now Adobe pays attention to these forums, with more attention paid to the > Bugs and > Ideas subforums -- they are the official place to report bugs and request features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Every video-forum or community or even blogposts about postprocessing video/film swear me into the shooting-flat-profile-logic, because its supposed to give me the most leeway for post processing."

Still photographers who shoot in raw have the most latitude for post-processing, since raw doesn't discard any information from the camera sensor.  Most photographers prefer to start their processing with either the Adobe Color profile or with a profile that attempts to match the camera's built-in JPEG processing, while a minority prefer to start their processing with a profile with a flatter tone curve.  But regardless of the profile where they start, they can always end up in the same place, since none of the original sensor data has been discarded.

The various video log encodings serve a different purpose. They capture a significantly wider dynamic range than standard Rec 709 video, without increasing the storage required. (Raw video uses a huge amount of storage.) As with still-camera raw, the dynamic range is typically much larger than what can be displayed on the screen, so post-processing is required to map the dynamic range to the range of the screen.  Video editors typically start with a flat rendering of log video, rather than with a more natural contrast. But regardless of the initial contrast, no "leeway" is sacrificed, since the photographer can always adjust the curve in post-processing.

Some photographers shooting stills along with log video have asked for camera raw profiles that provide raws with the same initial appearance as the video, so that it is easier for them to adjust the stills and video to have similar looks.  This isn't about providing greater "leeway" in post-processing the raws; rather, it's about making the post-processing easier to get the same looks between stills and video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines