Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom and multiple windows account

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

my wife and I are using the same Windows CPU with Lightroom installed on both profiles. In my profile I have all photos but would like her to only see some of the folders inside that catalog when she uses her windows account, not mine. All she cares are travel pictures so that's what I want her to see when she opens the catalog.  How can I do that without duplicating physical files inside a separate catalog for her? Suggestions?

thanks,

Ray

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you mean Lightroom Classic instead of Lightroom.

You could just create a Travel Photos Collection or Smart Collection or Filter, and have her click on that every time she opens Lightroom Classic. But within a single catalog, there is no way to hide photos or folders.

An alternative is to have separate catalogs, yours and hers (with just the travel photos) referencing the same travel photos, but this has serious drawbacks, as work done in one catalog will not be seen or available in the other catalog. So this is definitely not recommended.

Yet another option is to share just the travel photos in the cloud, and have your wife access the photos via the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering.  What about:

• I create a new collection
  • I move our travel pictures to it
  • I move the catalog file in a shared windows location (for both user or public)
  • ?  Would that work?  Would I also have to move the physical photos to a shared location or just the catalog move would do it?

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I move the catalog file in a shared windows location (for both user or public)"

If this is a shared location on your local computer, then it might work, but what is wrong with just leaving it where it is now? I assume you can both access the catalog at this time the way it is currently set up. I suggested a collection of the travel photos in the existing catalog, so that seems simpler than moving things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is Lightroom application is a single user license and the user needs to be signed in to the account to activate the application. The user has full control of the application, if you permit another user to work with the application they will have full control.

That's why dj-paige provided with a workable option.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines