• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Back UP

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom makes Back Ups named "Lightroom Catalog-2-2-2.ircat" and this is saved on the computer in the "photo" mapp. This is OK, BUT takes in total some space, like 4-6 GB at the moment. How do I do to move this backup catalog to an external disk? 

Best regards

HioPhoto

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Lightroom Classic forum from Get Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can move it, using your operating system, to a different disk.

In the future, you want Lightroom to automatically put the backups on a different disk, because putting the backup on the same disk is pointless -- if the disk fails, you have no backups.

To make this change to stored the backup on a different disk, the next time the backup dialog appears, click on "Choose" and then select a location on a different disk. You only have to do this one time, Lightroom remembers after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DJ, just did it. So I freed 14 GB on my Mac, and in the future all irrcats are saved on my external photodisk.

Thansk for your kind answer.

HioPhoto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that this is really a backup? Lightroom Classic zips its backups, so unless you are using an old version like Lightroom 6, the file you mention is not a backup but your current catalog. The fact that it is called 'Lightroom Catalog-2-2-2.lrcat' only means that you have upgraded the catalog four times over the years. Each time the catalog was upgraded, Lightroom added '-2' to the name. If you use the latest version of Lightroom Classic, then the catalog backup would be called 'Lightroom Catalog-2-2-2.lrcat.zip'. You can change the location of the backup in the backup dialog that comes up when Lightroom asks to make the backup. Click the 'Choose' button if you want to change the location.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not stated that Lightroom Classic was being used. Earlier versions (I think up to LR 5) did not zip the backups. So, HioPhoto, what version of Lightroom or Lightroom Classic are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using the latest of Classic, actually updated today. I did move the ircat files to an external disk and it workd nicely. Thanks for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes you are right and it is a .zip file. Im using Lightroom 9.2 upgraded it today acually. And I did move it to an external disk and it works nicely. Thanks for taking time and giving an answer. Best regars/HioPhoto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines