• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom backup fail

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time i try to back up Lightroom CC I am getting a message saying i can't back up Lightroom CC to the selected drive and asking i select a different folder. I get the same message where ever i try to save it.? I have checked the permissions at each location, they are OK.

I have Lightroom Classic CC (Release 7.2)  and am on an iMac running High Sierra. I always back up every day with no problem and this problem just started ?

I saw one suggestion about transferring a config.lua file to my Lightroom folder but this did not fix the problem?

How do i get my backups working please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the destination for your backup? Have you verified that that destination is really available? And have you verified that it isn't set to read-only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually back up to an external drive (permissions have not changed since i backed up 24hrs previously). I then tried other drive on my iMac and external, i even tried the desk top. Each attempt brought about the same result,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have created a new backup folder, that does not work. Permissions have not changed, still fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen hi, i got no answers from this forum as you can see, but eventually seemed to fix the problem by simply signing out of my Adobe cc account and signing back in (whilst Lightroom was closed). It also improved the speed of Lightroom considerably as it was becoming sluggish. Hope this helps BQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi I had a similar experience.

LR hangs then system freezes during catalog backup.

I share my investigation and fix.

There appears to be several reasons why this can occur; LR catalogue issue, software conflicts, and Disk hardware problems.

I have a older i5 Windows PC with RAID1 disk. After research & trying various things to diagnose the cause I found a solution for my case. I share it here for PC users with RAID. But be sure to look at the symptoms in your specific case. You may need to try a step by step approach.

In summary: my problem was caused by a WIN10 upgrade which replaced an Intel HDisk driver with a later one. It caused the system to intermittently lock-up or freeze during large file writes to the HDisk. Once I replaced it with an older version my problem was solved.

The short version:

Using Device Manager, Properties/Events showed the HDK RAID device had been "migrated" during the WIN10 upgrade. I checked my Catalog backup folder dates and noticed coincidently that my problems started after the time of the WIN10 upgrade.

I used Device Manager to examine and note down the Driver File details.

(Intel Raid 1 Volume: Microsoft 6/21/2006: Driver 10.0.17134.1)

After research I discovered that this was causing read/ write/ freeze problems for other people with older PC systems in standard and RAID configurations.

With guidance from this very helpful site:

Fernando's Win-Raid forum. Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

https://www.win-raid.com/t25f23-Which-are-the-quot-best-quot-Intel-AHCI-RAID-drivers.html

I installed Intel RST and an older diver: V11.2.0.1006.

Result - problem fixed! Large data copies to the drive and LR Catalog backups now work as normal.

The long version.

System info:

Windows 10 Home Premium Edition: Version 1803 5/20/2018 OS Build 17134.165

(this is upgrade after which the problem occured)

GA-P55A-UD5 motherboard with early i5 4 core processor (circa 2009)

originally with an Intel Matrix Storage driver

A 2TB RAID1 drive contains LR Catalog and Adobe Appdata files.

C: is bootable SSD with LR application

External NAS drive contains all the photos.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic version: 7.4 [ 1176617 ] June 2018

Also the earlier versioins; V 7.3 and 7.3.1 April 2018

Approx 81,000 photos in a single catalog.

Symptom:

During the back-up on exit, LR would (in the majority of times) hang. It appeared to complete the Integrity check and then hang near or at the end of the the copy phase. Deselecting Integrity and Optimizing improved the chances of it completing but it still failed the majority of times. File/Optimizing Catalogue also hung. That got me worried.

First I suspected a corrupted Catalog

Fortunately editing was OK and the catalog continued to open ok. So I started making manual backups of the catalogue and avoided doing back-up during LR exit.

I tried deleting the previews data. No change.

I tried: exporting the complete Catalogu to a new catalogue; It hung part way through.

I tried: How To Fix A Corrupted Lightroom catalog file using SQLite. Holger Mischke Photography (make a manual back-up first!). No change.

I was eventually able to export my catalogue, by splitting it into smaller catalogs. I backed up each with an integrity check and optimization. The idea being to try to isolate the catalog issue and then rebuild it back into a large catalog by importing the small catalogues and checking integrity at each step. Unfortunately once the new catalog reached approx 24000 files, it started to hang again during backup.

Second I suspected a software conflict.

I disabled - Use Graphic Processor (Edit/ preference/performance/) No change.

Upgraded to LR 7.4. No Change

Disabled Norton Internet Security and all notification apps. No Change

I performed a Clean Boot in windows then launched LR and started a back-up. No change.

I learnt a lot from this. It is a recommended diagnosis process if you suspect software conflict.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows)

Third I suspect a Hard Disk or RAM issue.

Drive: (Rt click) Properties/General. Disk clean and ensure at least 250G available. No change.

Drive: (Rt click Properties/ Tools/ Check. Also Run CHKDSK from cmd prompt as admin. No errors. No change.

Drive: (Rt click Properties/ Tools/ optimize. No change.

There are free tools for detailed surface scanning and health checks. But if you suspect Hd Failure make a back up before long undertaking scanning and repair process.

RAM checked using mdsched.exe. Ran multiple passes. After reboot, check results with EventViewer /Windows logs/System. No errors found.

I tested the drive manually by using File manager to write (Copy, paste) increasingly large amounts of files onto the RAID1 HDD where the catalog is stored. Beyond approx 8GB the file transfer speed consistently & suddenly dropped to zero and the process froze. Also Task Manager showed LR disk access went to zero and stayed there during a catalog backup.

I focused on the HDD driver

Drive: (Rt click) Properties/ Hardware (select the drive in question), Properties/Events.

Or use Device Manager from TaskBar search. Disk Drives.(select the drive in question), Properties/Events

In Events it showed the HDD RAID device had been "migrated" during the WIN10 upgrade

I checked my Catalog backup folder dates and noticed coincidently that problems started after the time of the WIN10 upgrade.

I Used Device Manager to examine and note down the Driver File details.

(Intel Raid 1 Volume: Microsoft 6/21/2006: Driver 10.0.17134.1)

After research I discovered that this was causing problems for other people with older PC systems.

As mentioned above: I installed Intel RST and an older diver: V11.2.0.1006 Problem fixed!

This is a very helpful site:

Fernando's Win-Raid forum. Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

https://www.win-raid.com/t25f23-Which-are-the-quot-best-quot-Intel-AHCI-RAID-drivers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines