Highlighted

Lightroom beginner: Question about Export, JPG, DNG...

Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic on my PC and Lightroom app on my iPhone - latest version of each.

As a test of first use of the app, I took four photos. I have the app set to Save Unprocessed Original.

In LR Classic (PC) under Catalog:
All Photographs 8
All Synced Photographs 4
Added by Previous Export 4

"All Synced Photographs" (4) has the DNGs and the "Added by Previous Export" (4) has the JPGs. When I attempt to export the DNGs to the desired location on my hard drive, I get a dialog that reads "The following files already exist" and lists the four JPGs that I had previously put there.

If I'm exporting the DNGs, why is it telling me the JPGs already exist? That should not be a conflict, should it? And how do I get the DNGs to my desired location on the hard drive?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

You do not 'Export' the DNGs.  There is no need to do this.

They have already synced to a folder on your hard-drive.

To find 'where' they are stored-

1) Click on [All Synced Photographs]

2) Select one photo

3) [Right-Click] for the context menu

4) Choose [Go to Folder in Library]

This will take you to the HD folder where the DNG is stored.

If you do not like the default folder you can change it in Preferences*, or use the Folder panel to "Move" (Drag&Drop) the DNGs to another HD folder.

*Note: The folder/s where your photos download from the Cloud can be set specifically in the Preferences > Lightroom Sync : Location panel-

ScreenShot224.jpg

And you do not need to Export all photos to JPG files, unless you have a specific need for a JPG. You can export from the DNGs in Lightroom-Classic at any time.

Topics

How to, Import and export, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom beginner: Question about Export, JPG, DNG...

Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic on my PC and Lightroom app on my iPhone - latest version of each.

As a test of first use of the app, I took four photos. I have the app set to Save Unprocessed Original.

In LR Classic (PC) under Catalog:
All Photographs 8
All Synced Photographs 4
Added by Previous Export 4

"All Synced Photographs" (4) has the DNGs and the "Added by Previous Export" (4) has the JPGs. When I attempt to export the DNGs to the desired location on my hard drive, I get a dialog that reads "The following files already exist" and lists the four JPGs that I had previously put there.

If I'm exporting the DNGs, why is it telling me the JPGs already exist? That should not be a conflict, should it? And how do I get the DNGs to my desired location on the hard drive?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

2) Select one photo

If you do not like the default folder you can change it in Preferences*, or use the Folder panel to "Move" (Drag&Drop) the DNGs to another HD folder.

*Note: The folder/s where your photos download from the Cloud can be set specifically in the Preferences > Lightroom Sync : Location panel-

ScreenShot224.jpg

And you do not need to Export all photos to JPG files, unless you have a specific need for a JPG. You can export from the DNGs in Lightroom-Classic at any time.

Topics

How to, Import and export, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2) Select one photo

ScreenShot224.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.2.1, Lightroom 3.2, Photoshop 2020 (21.1.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, WobertC, I appreciate the help.

When I import images from sources other than Lightroom mobile, I have Lightroom rename to Date_Sequence###. Is there a way to do the same with the DNGs that sync in?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom-Classic: Select the DNG files in the folder where they downloaded, ('Find' as in my first answer)

Press Function key#2 [F2]

Choose your Rename Preset

ScreenShot238.jpg  Note: you can set the first number for the Sequence in this dialog.

(Create your Preset in the Filename Template Editor)

ScreenShot237.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.2.1, Lightroom 3.2, Photoshop 2020 (21.1.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines