• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom cannot read the video file

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MacBook Pro, running macOS Big Sur version 11.1, running Lightroon Classic 10.11.1 Release, and when I try to import a MP4 file (recorded on my new Canon RP), I get the following message.  I can play the MP4 files on my Mac with no problems.  Why is LR not reading this file?

2020-12-25_11-59-22.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload a sample video to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. We can see if it imports into other LR installations and examine its format and codec in detail.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I was able to import that video with no error message into my LR 10.1.1 on Mac OS 10.15.7, Mac OS 11.1, and Windows 10. 

Two initial troubleshooting steps:

- Triple-check you're on LR 10.1.1 by doing the LR menu command Help > System Info. (Sometimes Creative Cloud fools you into thinking you've installed the "latest".)

- Restart your computer and try again.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  I checked again..I'm running LT Classic version: 10.1.1.  I tried to import the MP4 into a new catalog.  It worked once.  Then it wouldn't work.

2021-01-21_22-32-38.jpg

 I don't understnad the meesage about "unsupported compression type".  It's a standrd MP4 file.

Anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

""unsupported compression type".  It's a standrd MP4 file."

MP4 H.264 is a fairly complicated standard with lots of options, and not all codecs implement all the options. 

I don't have any other suggestions. LR's implementation of video isn't very robust, with a steady stream of problems reported since it was first introduced in LR 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, that's it? Lightroom doesn't work with a widely used video format and compression type. Adobe team - what's the recommended workflow for people using Sony A7 series cameras which generate H.264 encoded .mp4 files? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MediaCore plugins can cause problems importing video.  See this thread for how to check for that:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-video-impo... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines