• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog Backups

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many lightroom catalog baqckups should I keep?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Lightroom Classic allows you to schedule regular catalog backups when you exit the software. Backups executed from Lightroom Classic include only the catalog file. You must independently back up your edited photos and anything exported from Lightroom Classic.

• Performing frequent, regular catalog backups is only part of what should be a comprehensive backup strategy. When formulating a backup strategy:
  • Remember that the more frequently you back up your catalog and photos, the less data you stand to lose when a crash or corruption occurs.
  • If possible, store the backup copies of your photos and catalog on a separate hard disk from your working files.
  • Consider using dedicated backup software to automate the process and synchronize changes between your working and backup files.
  • If you’re worried that your backup files might be accidentally erased, create redundant backups on additional disks, or on read-only media such as DVDs.
  • For greater security, store your backup disk in a separate location from your working disk, preferably offsite or in a fire-proof safe.
  • Consider making copies of your photos when you import them. Remember that this gives you only a copy of your original photos, not your edited photos. See https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/photo-video-import-options.html#main-pars_heading_... 

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

Thank you for your reply. My question only concerns the lightroom catalog
backup. The photo file backups are are kept permanently.
As i understand it, each time lightroom performs a catalog backup it backs
up the entire catalog. If that is the case, it would appear that I should
only need to keep a small number of catalog backups for safety in case one
is corrupt.
To rephrase my question, does it make sense to keep more than 3 to 5
catalog backups? Keeping all the backups is starting to consume quite a
bit of disk space.

Thank you,

Leonard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To rephrase my question, does it make sense to keep more than 3 to 5 catalog backups? Keeping all the backups is starting to consume quite a bit of disk space.

This is a judgment call that you have to make. Some of the factors you have to consider is how safe do you feel with just a small number of backups, and how much space you have to keep your backups. By the way, if the disk where the backups are stored is low on disk space, that in itself is a problem you should address. Backups should ALWAYS go on a separate disk than the original catalog file, and backups MUST NOT be on the same disk as the original catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines