• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008
Try looking into whatever directory your catalog is in and deleting the ".lock" file with the same name as your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  In addition to having the catalog issue, photoshop was crashing my entire computer to the blue screen of death.  After deleting this file it appears, so far I have no problems.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this happen to my Lightroom 5 library.  This worked for me.

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the .lock file is only there when I open my lightroom, but I can't open the lightroom without the problem happening, did this happen to anybody else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What problem are you referring to?

"the .lock file is only there when I open my lightroom"-  correct, that is how it is supposed to appear.

Your Catalog is a file ending with the file-type suffix of  .LRCAT   Search yor computer folders to find your Catalog/s.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too, thank so much for you help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I just deleted the .lock file but it got even worse. My LR was able to run though it only showed me the "cannot open catalog" window, but I couldn't even open it after I removed the .lock file, and it just popped up the window which read "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working". Then I put the .lock file back, and it went back to the initial "cannot open catalog" window. Did I miss any steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory it should work with you just deleting the .lock file (and ONLY the lock file), it does for me. I'm puzzled because I've been using Lightroom for years and never ever had this issue, now I have to remove the bloody .lock file evry time I use the thing! Can't believe Adobe doesn't fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VironX,

The error message for the "Lock File" problem is very specific about- "....another application has it open..."

The Lock file must only be deleted when Lightroom is closed and not running.

Any other error messages would not be referring to the "Lock File" situation but some other problem with the Catalog.

Can you be more specific with the exact error message, and report your Version numbers for Lr and OS?

Patricio_Murphy,

The use of the Lock File to prevent multiple versions of the Catalog being 'opened' has always been part of Lightroom, and millions of users never have this problem- there is nothing really for Adobe to "fix". But your problem certainly is annoying and a cause and answer would be very helpful for you.

Are you 'Closing' Lightroom down in a correct manner? (eg. File>Exit)

Are you creating a Backup of the Catalog when you 'Exit'?

Are you allowing sufficient time for Lr to close entirely?

Does your Folder where the Catalog is stored have full Read/Write permissions?

This forum thread is very long- You both might benefit by starting a new post, where more people will see your post, and with your question add more details about your systems. (and screen-clips are helpful)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says "Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened. Quit the other copy of Lightroom before trying to launch." But I have no idea about where might my catalogue be opened except in LR. (and I'm wondering if this message has something to do with LRTimelapse which I've installed for couple months)

I use 6.10.1 version in Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), but I've never encountered with such situation before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VironX,

I doubt very much that LRTimelapse has anything to do with the error. LRTimelapse does use Lr to Catalog and Export photos, but-

The error message- "...cannot be opened because another application already has it opened..." is cryptic to some extent, and it always means that Lightroom "thinks or believes" that the Catalog is 'Open' already (although Lr is not running) and so refuses to start or open the Catalog again.

Lightroom "thinks" it is 'Open' because there is a .LOCK file existing in the Lr folder location.

The "Correct Answer" by DW_Harrison in Oct2008 is still the Correct answer for this error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for replying late. I've uninstalled LRTimelapse but it didn't solve the problem, and deleting .lock file just resulted in "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working" window again. Now I wonder whether it is possible to open my original catalogue after reinstalling LR. I don't even know could my catalogue be opened again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By thw way, I browsed the code of my catalogue and found that all my edit data of this year was lost. I'm not sure if this means I might not able to recover them for good even if the catalogue problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VironX,

If a Catalog did open for you, and you find missing edit data, then the most likely situation is that you opened an old Catalog, and not the most recent one.

It is still possible that your most recent Catalog still has a .LOCK file associated with it and therefore refuses to 'open'.

Search your entire computer for  Catalog type files, ending with the file-type of .LRCAT, and report what you find.

I note you are using 6.10.1.  It might also be worth installing v6.14.

The full install of v6.14 can be found here in the '2015 Apps', and {Lightroom 6} shown here is  Version 6.14 in this download.-

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-previous-version-apps-download.html

https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/12/6-14-now-available-last-perpetual-update-of-lightro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I found another catalog in another folder, and it seemed to have kept my more recent edit data. I think that folder may result from the reinstallation I did several years ago. Though I still can't open my LR after replacing this catalog with the older one, the catalog can be imported in my friend's LR whose version is later (2017 version if my memory serves me right), and thus I still can edit my photos based on my past data. On the whole, it's a good news that my data are not lost, but yeah I think it's time to update.

Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: Does your Folder where the Catalog is stored have full Read/Write permissions?

Seems this was the issue. Thanks. I don't recall setting the folder as Read Only, but then Windows does things...

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!   Omg   I was geeking out!!!!   You are the best    💗💗💗

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! That worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my God, THANK YOU!!! This worked for me! I sincerely appreciate this information as I was in total freak-out mode! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the very same issue and have followed the instruction as given, but upon deleting and reopening Lightroom Classic the LOCK file reappears leaving me unable to open LR. So what would I do to either unlock it or make it go away permanently? Also I tried reinstalling LR with no succes nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when you open Lightroom Classic, a .LOCK file is created, and normally it goes away when you close Lightroom Classic. So under normal operation, you don't have to worry about this. Only when Lightroom crashes or the computer crashes do you have the problem where Lightroom can't open because the .LOCK file didn't get deleted, and then manually deleting the .LOCK file is the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that I understood, but what's happening to me is: I start LrC the message appears and the LOCK file appears. I close LrC it disappears leaving me no choice but to delete the LOCK file while LrC is running. So I do that but then when I try starting LrC again the Lock file reappears leaving me at the start of the process. So how do I do this properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines