• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008
Try looking into whatever directory your catalog is in and deleting the ".lock" file with the same name as your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .lrcat.lock file is in the exact same folder as your Lightroom Catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleted the ".lock" file and it worked. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bloody legend! same issue here, rebooted laptop mid lightroom 6 load up-computer said no was warmly greeted with the same message-until i found this ever so helpful thread-beers on me cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I find the directory that my catalog is in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I had the same problem when my computer crashed after some fault, deleting the lock file was the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMFG! Thank you very much man, you saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saving my sanity this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it solved my problem as well!

www.marciocavalcanti.com

Miami Wedding Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleted the .lock file...worked for me...

my computer rebooted and I couldn't open my catalog....I was going crazy...it would open a different catalog fine, but not my large catalog....so I did a search and found this post...thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you delete the locked file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer has been given in several posts in this thread, like here: Re: Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened

Or see this article, Lightroom basics - scroll down to "Some common problems".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not tell you how many times LightRoom 3.5 or earlier just freezes under Win 7-64 bit. You can  not CTL+ANT+DEL or anything else but manual shut down. This typically occurs when user enters something before a LightRoom task is completed. It is not acceptable!

When rebooting, anything might have happened but usually nothing. I failed to notice a lost folder of all 2011 photos. This occurred just after my last backup so some delay before even noticing since I was working on older folders. So all are now gone.

The most recent freeze was the typical several minute wait while loading the catalog and reading the camera's card. The inevitable reboot left the catalog locked so it was easy to simply delete the lock file after nearly an hour getting to this suggestion. Maybe we are using oppisite sides of the brain but the delete lock file suggestion would help on the actual error message. The real problem is frequent lock ups! Do you think enough 64 bit users might dump this product with similar lock ups / lost files or folders and long research time to find a solution? Release 4 is not looking likely!LightRoom warning.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya - just wanted to add my thanks as I was having this same problem and the solution has worked for me as well now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just having the same issue, and my problem is now solved!  Thank you so much, @DW_Harrison!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am presently having this same issue but cannot find any files with "lock" at the end to delete.  Any other suggestions?   I'm really in a bind as I needed the program to finish some baseball collages, etc and time is limited.  Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Rhalene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Worked perfectly for me!

(Original post from 2008, and here I am in late 2014 using the same solution... C'mon, now, Adobe, it's not like this is a new problem.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Now I am getting an error that says my catalog cannot be opened because it is not writable. I first was getting the file locked error from this thread. Then, I deleted the .lock file for my catalog and now this new error appears. Seems like I am having a lot more problems lately. Is it me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not writable means that the folder it is in (or the file itself) does not have write permission. Change your permissions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the permissions? I deleted the lock file, reopened old catalog, saved that and still get the error code that the file may be in use or unwritable. Thanks..p.s. This only started for me with lr6 cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions are something you set and change using your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. For some reason lr is saving as zipped and I have to open that file each time to share. Never had this problem before. Am a neophyte..where in operating system do I go to change?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why does it create a locked file every time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's back up a minute, rsbjsb

Please describe your problem in detail. Please make sure you mention your operating system, and your version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines