• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008
Try looking into whatever directory your catalog is in and deleting the ".lock" file with the same name as your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Windows 7 pro 64  light room 6 cc. Ok I saved the 5.7 catalog into 6. That catalog got saved as a zip file..never did before. I have to extract the new catalog, delete the lock and right click on the folder to add sharing. All new todos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add that when I add sharing I also have to click on write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't be getting a .zip unless you are doing a catalog backup from LR 6.

You should go into Lightroom 6 and use File->Open Catalog and point to your LR 5 catalog. No zip or unzip involved.

I don't understand what "add sharing" means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rsbjsb wrote:

Forgot to add that when I add sharing I also have to click on write.

You Can't SHARE a Lightroom catalog. You also Can't place a Lightroom Catalog on a networked drive, it has to be local to the computer Lightroom is running on. Every time LR opens it places a .LOCK file in the same folder as the catalog file. That is so no other person can access the catalog file while it is already opened by Lightroom. Normally that LOCK file is deleted when Lightroom closes.

It sound like you have the catalog file on one computer or networked drive and you are trying to access it from some other computer. Either that or your system or the Lightroom install is FUBAR and the LOCK file is not being deleted, removed, when LR closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking time on a Sunday to help me. My internet went down so

I couldn't respond until now.

I place my lightroom catalog on the external drive with my photos - and

back up everything.

I do not know why lr 6 cc makes a zipped catalog. That is new.

So I unzip the catalog and then open the catalog.

Thank you for your help!

In a message dated 5/31/2015 2:30:56 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has

it opened

created by Shootistbond007

(https://forums.adobe.com/people/Shootistbond007) in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/7596225#7596225)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 6 backups are zipped because that makes them one-tenth the size or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I CANT FIND THE LOCK FILE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is ok found the lock file thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have been through the files and I also have files marked ".LightroomCatalog.ircat.lock.dcm"

Do I delete these as well?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Sure, Why Not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me on Win81:

1. Find files: *lrcat.lock

2. Delete/rename files from step 1

3. Restart Lr - life is good and the birds sing - collections and history are preserved

Do not do this:

1. goto: \Users\[userName]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences

2. Delete/rename *.agprefs

3. If you do this you will be able to restart Lr, but your existing collection and history will be gone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am having the same trouble but when searching I don't come up with any .lock files?  Any other suggestions?  I was just using lightroom this morning and it wouldn't close so I did a hard shutdown of the computer.  After that no luck : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  That was very helpful as I ran across the issue this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For #2 what do you mean: DELETE/RENAME FILES FROM STEP 1? I found this file, I'm now wondering if I should just right click and delete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am having the same trouble but when searching I don't come up with any .lock files?  Any other suggestions?  I was just using lightroom this morning and it wouldn't close so I did a hard shutdown of the computer.  After that no luck : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find the folder that contains your catalog file. If there is a .lock file in that folder, delete the .lock file.

If that doesn't work, you probably found the wrong catalog file and the wrong folder. Have your operating system search for all files whose name ends with .LRCAT, make sure that you check each one's folder for .lock files and delete the .lock file in that folder, continue until you have checked every folder with a .LRCAT file.

If that doesn't work, start from the beginning and describe your exact problem and provide lots of details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2015 Aug 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

llast night I was using Lightroom 5.5, Windows 7 and it just shut me off and turned my computer off. Restarted and once I tried opening photoshop it said "Lightoom cannot use the catalog named 'Lightroom 5 Catalog' because it is not writeable and cannot be opened". I read that yall said to delete the .lock but I have no idea what to do or where to go because when I search for .lock on my start menu nothing comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the folder that contains your catalog file. The default location is given here: Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom 5‌

If you're not using the default location, you need to have your operating system search all of your hard disks for files whose name ends with *.lock

Delete the .lock file in that folder. Do not delete anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌will try thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine worked too!!! Thanks for all the support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2015 Dec 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to delete the .lock file but I am unable to delete. The .lock file reappears again.

I'm working on a mac os el capitan, lightroom ver 6

Several days ago, I was unable to close my lightroom and had to force shut my mac. After that, I wasn't able to open my catalog.

I have tried searching my os for all the .lock files but i can't delete any of them. After I move them to trash, the .lock file appears again.

I tried to open my catalog after trying to delete the .lock file. I encountered a message saying that the catalog is corrupted. I tried to run my backup catalog and the message "lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened" appears again.

Please help!! I need my files urgently. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure Lightroom is Shut Down. on OS X just closing a window you are working in does not close the program.

A .lock file is always created when a catalog is opened. That is to stop other instances of LR from opening that same catalog.

If you are unsuccessful in deleting the the .lock file them you have other problems with your Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have closed shutdown lightroom. It just doesn't work. I have no other issues with my Mac though so I really don't know what is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lock file is generated and exists whenever Lightroom is open, and is deleted during the normal Lightroom shut down process. The lock file is created by the underlying database technology. If you try to delete that file while Lightroom is open, you won't be able to because the file is in use. If you are completely shutting down Lightroom, and it seems to close properly but the lock file remains, then something is not right with your installation. You might benefit from reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines