Highlighted

Lightroom catalog corrupt

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unable to open my lightroom catalog. 

It's on an external Harddrive. On Windows, I get a message about permissions. 

On Mac, I get Unexpected error opening catalog. The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error.

Can someone assist me in restoring this catalog?

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom catalog corrupt

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unable to open my lightroom catalog. 

It's on an external Harddrive. On Windows, I get a message about permissions. 

On Mac, I get Unexpected error opening catalog. The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error.

Can someone assist me in restoring this catalog?

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happend when you try to open the catalog from an internal drive?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I copy the lrcat file to an internal drive and try to open it I get the same message. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try placing the catalog file on a different drive, in a folder where you have write permissions.

If that doesn't work, restore a recent backup of your catalog file, COPY (not MOVE) the backup to a brand new empty folder and double-click on it to open it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting the same error when I try from a drive that has write permissions. Mac still says unexpected error. Windows says permissions error. 

My last back up was 2019 (I know, I know!). So I'm hoping there's some resource to repair a corrupt file. I think I have copies of all the images, but I was hoping there was a way to restore, so I don't lose edits, keywords, ratings, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad to say, I think you are out of luck. I doubt your catalog file can be used.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen old posts where someone from Adobe offered to attempt to repair the catalog. Guess I'm hoping for that now. 

I'll probably go ahead and restore the most recent backup, then work on re-importing images. 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also work on making backups regularly. There's an option in Lightroom that makes backups of your catalog file either daily or weekly, you really ought to turn it on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ljfraser LATEST
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My catalog was just so big, it was taking forever.  Now's a good time to clean it up and start with backups.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines